Mindless Eating

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Mindless Eating

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:27 am

I bought this last night It looks like it will be a good fit with No-S and Michael Pollan's books.

There's a page right after the introduction that has a single sentence on it: "The best diet is the one you don't know you're on." Love it!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

slickchic

Post by slickchic » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:15 pm

You will really enjoy reading this book. I love it, it is really "eye" opening to our eating habits. How we can cut calories without even missing it!!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:27 pm

I haven't read the book yet, and yeah, prolly oughta.

I have been reading a lot of press about the book and one word that a lot of the journalists use really sticks in my mind.

"Helpless".

It's not that I argue that we're genetically programmed to eat food when it's easily available, or that we'll do our best to finish the endless bowl of soup. Of course we will.

But... Well, when you're No-Sing and the habit has become firm, the candy dish by the admin's desk has become a non-issue. Your brain filters it out as not being "there" because it's not time to eat a meal.

I know, I know, chances are good the word is used by some schmuck writer who's trying to be dramatic to sell a story (bein' a schmuck writer myself...).

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm

NoelFigart wrote:It's not that I argue that we're genetically programmed to eat food when it's easily available, or that we'll do our best to finish the endless bowl of soup. Of course we will.
I'm not sure if we are or we aren't, but Westerner's have been taught to eat endlessly. I have a couple of friends who will argue that all people will do this given the opportunity, but I think it's a learned behavior. And it's learned from those who stand to benefit from it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:59 pm

*grin*

It's a pity I've no academic credentials, Wosnes, 'cause that's fodder for an awesome study.

Any academic wonks on the board think that's something they'd like to pick up?

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:06 pm

The book: "Mindless eating"
Good book to read.
I have it, and love it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:11 pm

I listened to this book on my ipod. GREAT book, love it!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Mindless Eating is a fascinating book. It's as much about the research process as it is about the findings. OF course, that just could be my filter talking. Research is heavy on my mind now since I am taking two classes on it (oig). I see research everywhere these days.

With regard to whether snacking is a learned behavior, Wansink's research indicates it is not. Our default behavior (what we do without thinking) is if food is available, we eat it. There are factors that will put us off eating, but having food at hand is not one of them.

That does not mean we are compelled to snack. It merely means we need to be habituated to not snacking, even when food is convenient. This could come in childhood when the "nutritional gatekeepers" would direct our eating for our benefit and the benefit of the larger social group within which we function. (If anyone has a teenage son who snacks on half the leftovers that were intended for the next night's meal, you will know what I am saying.) The habituation can come as an adult when we should understand the longer term impacts of cause and affect. Wansink found that childhood eating patterns are not insurmountable.

If I am recalling Wansink's work correctly, "helpless" really is too strong a word to describe our position with regard to food. We can retrain ourselves so that our mindless choice is to not snack.

Wansink offers his own "rules" which will reduce the amount of food consumed. I think it's quite telling that he suggests you pick three. I can't recall off the top of my head what they all are, but it's things like not eating at your desk. Anyway, the upshot is to make three changes that will result in a 100 calorie intake reduction per change.

Which, if you do the math, is exactly what No S does. And depending on your sweets/snacks/seconds pattern, you very well might reduce your daily intake by even more than 300 calories a day.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:37 am

Lucky me!

I am absolutely CERTAIN that NO S limits my calorie intake by more than 300 calories a day!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Those chai tea lattes, frozen peanut butter cups and Von's cake add up quickly ...especially at the rate I can put em away ...hahahhahahahha

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Jaymiz

Re: Mindless Eating

Post by Jaymiz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:07 pm

wosnes wrote:I bought this last night It looks like it will be a good fit with No-S and Michael Pollan's books.

There's a page right after the introduction that has a single sentence on it: "The best diet is the one you don't know you're on." Love it!
Great book! Hope you enjoy it! I found it really inspiring... I've got it on Audio now, but originally read the library copy. ;)
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.