Frustrated with posts.....making it more complicated.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

drswife

Frustrated with posts.....making it more complicated.

Post by drswife » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Okay I've been doing really good! 3 weeks no reds. feeling great about my eating, exercising more. Haven't weighed myself but thinking down a couple lbs.

The problem is I keep reading posts about ppl making the one plate thing more complicated and more diet like then I can handle. If I have to think too much about what I put on my plate I know I'm going to rebel. I mean why not just go back to my old strict dieting regime? ya know.

For the record, I don't pile my plate crazy high but I just kinda listen to my body and eat what sounds good. I tend to like healthy foods so I don't feel like I'm eating too much junk but it's balanced. There's heavy foods w/ light foods and some days just light.

But after reading everyone's posts about avoiding excess and this or that, I'm worried that this diet isn't actually as simple as it says it is and I feel kinda jipped to be honest. Maybe it's just because I've always been a grazer and was never one to eat a ton at once anyways so maybe I'm just not relating to those that feel like their plate is overly full.

Anyway sorry to complain and whine but just feeling a little frustrated right now.

Any thoughts?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:49 pm

One plate, not piled crazy high, is controlling excess.

You're all good.
Last edited by NoelFigart on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noturningback

Post by Noturningback » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:38 pm

For many people - old habits die hard. Here are three ideas that may work for you.

1. Skip over post titles you feel may be discouraging to you.

2. Block time out to visit the board - same time each day for 30 minutes, once a week - etc.

3. Don't read the boards. Find a buddy with the same goals you have and correspond via PM/email.

I don't want to discourage you from being here. However, If reading posts, at times, discourages you, I'd rather see you succeed at your goals.

The alternate is just ranting about it. :D
~Danielle

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:39 pm

I have also noticed that there are a lot of people tweaking and counting calories, etc. That is definitely NOT for me, I use common sense and try to nourish my body. (eating healthily including veggies/fruits, etc)

Just because someone else tweaks the nos to fit their eating habits, does not mean that you should too. Appreciate that there are differences for each person, do what fits you best (and I agree that listening to your body is best) adn go with that, don't worry so much about everyone else.
What was it my mom used to say when I was a teen... "would you stand in the street just because everyone else does?" something like that.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:49 pm

My post about gaining weight with quesadillas didn't spark this thread, I hope.
Nevermind others, do what feels okay with you, my case?, I'm very short, very small frame, I have a fairly sedentary lifestyle, I have no more than ten pounds to lose, I've been pursuing a degree in nutrition and I'm a serious gourmande.
So, of course I'm looking into what's in my plate, others might have other reasons to do so or not, some people buy different size dishes, some don't, some go vegetarian or vegan, some don't, some manage their alcohol and caffeine intake, some don't, some keep their sugar-free sodas, some don't, and that's okay to do!, because we are all different.
Don't get discouraged, just keep on going, stick to your Ss and take what you read here with a grain of salt.

I find myself quoting NoelFigart a lot, lately:

One plate, not piled crazy high, is controlling excess.

You're all good.
What she says.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:54 pm

To reassure you, the diet really is as simple as it says it is.

We're seeing a lot of new activity here. That's awesome. The thing is, you're seeing a lot of people who are as new as you are, and they're just as unsure whether or not this will work. The scared bit leads to changing and tweaking over an incredibly short term. It's part of the process to learn to have faith in the basics, and that's cool, too.

Since this is something that you (at least in theory) will be doing the rest of your life, you're not going to be looking at fast results.

An example: Look at Reinhard's "During" series from his site. In the first "afterish" pic, he's lost a fair amount of weight, but if you compare it to the most recent pic, you see that he's taken off quite a bit more body fat and added a few pounds of muscle (Effective "Weight" remaining the same, you'll note). This was over a several year period! He might have lost a lot of weight at first, but the final results (as of now) have been the patient refinement of years of habit.

If you're not thinking in terms of years, you're thinking in too short of a term.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 am

my only thoughts are this ... we are all unique and different and to some extent put our own personal stamp on things ...

in a community there will always be differing voices, take the best and leave the rest. when I have questions about HOW to apply NO S I refer to the book. Reinhard is genius and I leave it at that.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:25 am

I agree with you, Blueskighs, I am doing what the book says and not worrying about anything else. It is working and I don't care how slow it works.....I want to keep it off this time. If I am hungry, I eat something that sounds good and is good and I am a lot more satisfied. But only my 3 plates a day!!! Even on S days I find myself not eating "extras" since nothing really sounds tempting enough. I refuse to start "tweaking" or counting calories or points again so I read through the posts and if it doesn't seem to help me, I go to a different discussion topic. Basically, I am just so happy to be No S ing my life now that I don't want to go anywhere else!

Jamiebf

Post by Jamiebf » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:59 am

Amen to that Rehba!!

drswife

Post by drswife » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks everyone. I definitely needed all that great reassurance. I like what noelfigart said about ppl just afraid of trusting the process and tweaking things as part of that learning process. I'm definitely in this for the long haul--my goal is to lose 50 lbs in 2 yrs. That puts me at a comfortable weight of 135 (5'3). I gave up my crazy model weight goal of 115 awhile ago!

I think maybe the difference with me is I learned to trust myself w/ all kinds of foods a few years back when I stopped judging foods as good or bad while others might still be learning that. I realized that my body really doesn't like eating junk all day so my fear of "bad" food was for naught. Now especially that I'm very hungry for my meals, I'm really in tune w/ what will nourish me the most/best. Okay so I didn't realize that I couldn't eat non stop all day long but that's where No-S comes in. :)

Thanks again. I'm going to go back to doing what I'm doing.

I don't know if this makes any sense but I'm REALLY tired right now so it'l have to do. :)

patticake

Post by patticake » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:53 am

Hi. What you said makes alot of sense I agee with you and thanks for posting exactly how I feel. I am in this for the long haul too! Patti :)