Observe and Correct

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jaymiz

Observe and Correct

Post by Jaymiz » Sun May 04, 2008 4:54 pm

Okay... technically, I started following "NoS" on April 19th. So, that would make this the beginning of my 3rd week of NoS, but...

My first week I had all green -- I didn't have any 'esses' until Saturday. I was so proud of myself!

But, i weighed and found no change, and --much as I tried to not let it get to me-- I think it messed with my head. Come the Monday of my 2nd week, I had such ridiculous cravings for sweets and snacking, and I was feeling "down" about not having seen any changes, yet, so I gave in... I said I'd just have ONE red day... which then turned into a full WEEK of red days. :-(

Anyway. Today I was thinking about all this, and doing some "observation and correction" -- the process of looking at your actions, and making a decision to "correct" the things that didn't go as you wished.

Now, before I get into my observations, I'm going to explain that I KNOW I'm new to this, so I know it's also OKAY that I'm still learning... it's going to take a while to make these new habits stick, and that's cool. I'm fine with that. But, I've been doing the Observe & Correct thing (O&C) for the past 3 years, and it helps, so I'm doing that now, too....

I've come to see that I went "wrong" in 3 places:

1) I weighed too soon --> I should've waited until I'd been doing this for a while before jumping on the scale. I was still looking for the "quick fix" and not ready to accept a "slow, gradual loss" as Reinhard says you'll see with this plan. Now I know to be patient -- and I'm avoiding the scale for the month of May (that's my correction). ;-)

2) I ate too much at mealtimes --> much as Reinhard says this is okay, to pile up your plate in the beginning in order to trust that you'll not be hungry later, I didn't like the "stuffed" feeling, and I don't think it helps me. I know how to eat smaller-sized portions and still not be hungry again too soon, and that's to make sure to eat foods that contain more protein / fiber -- yet I didn't follow my own knowledge. I stuffed myself instead, 'cause I had the "permission" to do so... not good. So, my "correction" will be to choose foods that "last longer" in the coming week, and keep my portions normal-sized. ;) Besides, in the NoS book, Reinhard says that --at restaurants, anyway-- Supersized meals are an "S", too, so they should be avoided. Well, what's the difference, if I'm supersizing a restaurant meal, or doing it with one from home? Nothing! They're technically the same thing. :-?

3) I didn't exercise at all --> I need to make sure to get in at least SOME movement every day, because sitting around on my butt all the time isn't healthy, either. So, this coming week, I'm planning to do some sort of "formal" movement (anything that's more than I would do on any other given day, normally) for at least 14 minutes a day. That's doable, and it'll help... any little bit does! :)

So, there you have it. Anyone else "observing & correcting"?
((sorry this post was kind of long)) :roll:
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun May 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Personally, I think we're all on "observe and correct" all the time -- or at least we should be. Pretty much nothing goes in a straight line from A to B. Think about driving...always correcting a little here, a little there. I've read that pilots are off course something like 99% of time. They get to the right destination because they're also constantly correcting.

As for overfilling your plate...I've found that putting just a little more on my plate than I think I need keeps me from feeling overstuffed and also keeps me from being hungry between meals. Just a little though. I don't need to overfill my plate.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sun May 04, 2008 6:19 pm

ok. So you "overstuff" your plate. Where does it say that we "have" to eat everything that is ON that plate?? :?: We need to start listening to our bodies...which unfortunately most of us have lost the ability to do! So if you don't eat enough at one meal...you are just that much more hungry at the second meal and learn to pace yourself. At least that is what is happening for me. I have been leaving food on my plate and NOT FEELING GUILTY! :shock: Tis a grand feeling!! :D We have been so conditioned to the "clean plate" theory or the "deprived" feeling that we no longer know what is a "contented" feeling. This plan will "reteach" us if we let it. And it will take time. And I have all the time that it will take because I am sick to death of calorie, point and carb counting. So hang in there and think POSITIVE!!!!

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Sun May 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Rheba wrote:ok. So you "overstuff" your plate. Where does it say that we "have" to eat everything that is ON that plate?? :?: We need to start listening to our bodies...which unfortunately most of us have lost the ability to do! So if you don't eat enough at one meal...you are just that much more hungry at the second meal and learn to pace yourself.

We have been so conditioned to the "clean plate" theory or the "deprived" feeling that we no longer know what is a "contented" feeling. This plan will "reteach" us if we let it. And it will take time.

So hang in there and think POSITIVE!!!!
LOL. You're absolutely right, Rheba. Good point. I've been part of that "clean your plate club" for years... and despite learning to listen to my body's hunger-cues via Intuitive Eating 3 years ago (and then falling away from that for the past couple of years), I still do the whole 'clean plate' thing.

It's like in the "Mindless Eating" book by Brian Wansink -- he says that people are conditioned to do this... there's something about a clean plate that "signals" us that we're done. It's hard to break that habit.

Anyway. Thinking positive, though, definitely helps. Thanks for your input!

((and thanks to wosnes, too!))
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun May 04, 2008 7:36 pm

I never used to leave food on my plate, either. Now I don't conciously think "I feel full", but I do find myself "done" sometimes regardless of whether or not the plate is clean. It is just wonderful to find our bodies ability to function once we stop overfilling them, isn't it?!?

Good job on adjusting, Jaymiz!

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun May 04, 2008 10:20 pm

I observe and correct all the time. It's an ongoing process.
Even though I have been doing this for awhile, I find that what worked for me last week, may not work for me this week.
For example, I used to always have a Frappuccino on S days.
Now, I no longer crave them.
Or, I would search high and low for the right dessert for my S day.
I had grapes as my dessert last night.
Now, I find a treat for me is a margarita!
But, I find I go through cycles.
I had some foods that I could not live without and now I am not craving them at all. (Except nachos. I ALWAYS crave nachos.) But, maybe, in a few weeks, I may want my Frappuccinos or a decadent dessert.
Even two months ago I would have a snack on S days, now I usually don't. I find my body likes the 3 meal a day rhythm seven days a week.
I was not always like this.
My body has gotten used to No S and I feel No S is 100% responsible for me getting more in tune with my body.
I find that for the first time in my life, I am an intuitive eater....just 3 times a day.
I am more aware of what foods I desire.
For me, there are no good or bad foods only good and bad times to eat.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sun May 04, 2008 11:35 pm

I agree there are no good or bad foods and that there are good and bad times to eat, but unfortunately for those of us who have dieted all our lives, we have years of "diet brainwashing" to erase and we tend to still think of good or bad foods at times. (My goodness, that was a long sentence! :roll: ) So we need to be "gentle" with ourselves and cut ourselves some slack if we have a day where things don't go as they should. We can't undo years of habits in one or two days or even weeks. Yes, I know they say it takes 21 days to break a habit or to form a new habit, but we have YEARS of habits to erase! I don't care how long it takes me as long as I see some improvement each and every week or month or whatever. I am just sick of trying to be what society says I must be to fit in! Thank you Reinhard for this system....which is exactly what I grew up with and somehow lost in the shuffle. But I am back on track now and intend to stay there.
Thanks for letting me have my 2 pennies worth of input! :)

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:42 pm

I'm definitely with you. I've corrected by not hopping on the scales any more, and my weekends are more moderate. Now I need to be scaling back my meals. I need to be OBSERVING how much I put on my plate and leaving the Clean Your Plate Club for good.

So, what I've lost is the FEAR. The fear of not losing, the fear of gaining, the fear of not eating enough, the fear of eating too much. Fear replaced by freedom-pretty sweet!

Thank you for posting this topic. I needed it!

Resting

fkwan

Re: Observe and Correct

Post by fkwan » Mon May 05, 2008 3:31 pm

Jaymiz wrote:So, there you have it. Anyone else "observing & correcting"?
Yup. I have to.

Otherwise I'll just slip back into the old habits.

The only difference between an S day and an N day is one of the meals involves a sweet. Otherwise I have to be an absolute dragon about portion control or else.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

sbay301

Post by sbay301 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:40 pm

I was glad to find this thread as I had a horrible weekend. I got right back on track on Monday. I have the N-days down but the S-days are a problem.

Observe and correct. So, I need to come up with some solutions so that I enjoy S-days. I need to remember the infamous word "Sometimes". Not every meal on Saturday and Sunday.

To be truthful, I started Saturday at 12:00 a.m. I couldn't sleep and thought that well it's Saturday I'll make chocolate chip cookies.

I even had pre-planned my Saturday and Sunday treats but blew it all with the chocolate chip cookies.

I have found that I can't bake or cook because then I eat while baking or cooking.

I'm very nervous about Friday, 4th of July. I actually have Thursday July 3rd off and my boyfriend and I are going out of town for Thursday and Friday.

"WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?" Is all I can think. I'm in a panic and it's a day and a half away.

What will be my plan? HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!

Mavilu

Re: Observe and Correct

Post by Mavilu » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:42 pm

fkwan wrote:
Jaymiz wrote:So, there you have it. Anyone else "observing & correcting"?
Yup. I have to.

Otherwise I'll just slip back into the old habits.

f
Exactly, I've slipped a million times since I gained weight.
Now I know that I have to be vigilant, not obssesively, but, I try to at least eventually figure out when something isn't going to do.
I've observed last week that while I use lemon curd as marmalade, that is, on my toast, I still see it as a dessert and I was topping my toasts with more and more of it and eventually, I started eating it on toast as aftermeal dessert, therefore I was eating it three times a day everyday, which, of course made me abandon fruit as dessert.
So I corrected and now I eat it on top of whatever I want, not just toast, on S days.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:04 am

sbay, can you treat the 3rd and 4th as vacation days (in other words, as S days) and just allow yourself to be somewhat more lenient with yourself? I just came back from a quilt trip that started on a Wednesday and ended on Saturday and I treated the whole trip as my vacation...which in essence it was. I totally surprised myself by NOT over indulging. I just kept thinking to myself that "okay, if you really want that you may have it" and most all of the time, I found I really didn't want it. I even brought back some of the "goodies" for my dear hubby...which he promptly devoured since it was an S day!
So try to just enjoy your days and keep them as sane as you possibly can. Hope that this helps you.

la_loser

Celebrate the 4th of July-declare your independence f/ SADs!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 am

So this is your lucky week. . . part of the beauty of this lifestyle is that we get to eat like thin people-especially on S days. . .remember that S days include Special days; Reinhard refers to those as NWS (Non Weekend Special days).

Actually yesterday I saw a new thread started called New Person With Questions by Red Meg. She raised the 4th of July issue as well.

Reinhard replied to her with some good advice, ending with: [/color]
If you're a fellow American it's your patriotic duty to make July 4th an S-day! Relax and enjoy.
I'm hosting our annual celebration/meal for about twenty people before we go to the big fireworks show hosted at a local park. I'm planning to try to stay with one plate of food (piled a little higher than usual perhaps) and will top off the evening with some delicious homemade peach ice cream. And I won't feel guilty! Then on Saturday and Sunday I'll stick to the SOMETIMES part of the plan without going overboard.

After all, aren't we all declaring our independence (even you guys from other places!) from "SAD's" ?(substance accounting diets!)

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:18 am

I missed seeing Reinhard's response about being a loyal American and considering it an S day. But I LOVE it! Yea for the red, white and blue!
laloser, I will be drooling thinking about your fresh peach ice cream!!! Enjoy your day! :) :)

Salamander

Post by Salamander » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:47 pm

As far as overloaded plates, why not load it up with stuff like veggies or fruit? I just filled my lu nch plate with a sandwich, baby carrots and a sliced up apple. Plenty-o-food for me.

Regarding restaurant supersized vs. home supersized, remember that restaurants usually use the low-nutrition, cheap foods for the supersized part; i.e., the burger is the same size, but the sugary soda and greasy fries are supersized. At home, you can load up your plate with stuff like turkey, fresh veggies, etc., which is a different story altogether.

Also, I think that many of us (myself included) have the idea that we HAVE to finish EVERYTHING on the restaurant plate, 'cause we paid for it. Which makes no sense if you think about it; you presumably paid for the food in your fridge at home as well.