Are you an IDIOT with Sweets on "S" days?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Are you an IDIOT with Sweets on "S" days?

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 29, 2008 3:19 pm

I post here as the Voice of Reason.
Whether anyone likes to count calories or not,
The No S Diet is not a justification for being a calorie Idiot.

An average 45 year old woman, height 5’4â€, weight 180 lbs
Who has a desk job, but adds 1 hr walking exercise 5 days a week,
Has a total daily calorie burn of approximately 1850 calories.
In order to lose weight on No S, as well as any other diet,
one has to take in less calories than they burn.
To lose ½ lb of fat per week,
one needs to run an average calorie deficit of 250 calories per day.
1850 minus 250 equals a 1600 calorie average over a 7 day period.

The numbers below show how difficult it is to accomplish weight loss,
or even stay the same weight,
if a person has even ONLY ONE really high-calorie Restaurant sweet EVERY S day.

The majority of Restaurants don’t make their nutritional information available,
For good reason.
However, here are some typical examples from the few who do provide that information.

Chili’s Restaurant Desserts: ( 1 serving).
Cheesecake …. 1 slice…. 720 calories
Chocolate chip Paradise pie w/ vanilla ice cream…. 1 slice …. 1600 calories
Frosty chocolate shake with chocolate sprinkles…. 1 shake…. 850 calories
Molten Chocolate Cake w/ Vanilla Ice cream…. 1 serving ….1270 calories
Sweet Shot – Dutch Apple Caramel Cheesecake…. 1 each…. 230 calories
Sweet Shot – Seven Layers of Chocolate…. 1 each….. 310 calories
Sweet Shot – Strawberry Wave Cheesecake….. 1 each …..220 calories
White Chocolate Molten Cake….. 1 serving…….1430 calories.

Macaroni Grill Desserts (1 serving)
Amaretto Apple Crispetti….1 serving …1300 calories
Dessert Ravioli ….. …………serving…. 1630 calories
Italian Sorbetto with Biscotti… 1 serving…. 330 calories
Lemon Passion ….. 1 serving …..1150 calories
Smothered Chocolate Cake….. 1 serving….. 1180 calories
Three Berry Tiranisu ….. 1 serving …..930 calories
Tiramisu ……………….. 1 serving……. 1000 calories
New York Cheesecake….. 1 serving….. 980 calories
New York Cheesecake w/ Caramel Fudge Sauce….. 1 serving…. 1610 calories
Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce….. (Kid’s portion) 1 scoop…… 400 calories.

Ruby Tuesday Desserts (1 serving)
Chocolate Chip Cookie (1 cookie).......... 320 calories
White Chocolate Macadamia
Nut Cookie (1 cookie)............................ 340 calories
Double Chocolate Cake............................. 955 calories
Gourmet Cookie & Ice Cream.................. 750 calories
Blondie....................................................... 677 calories
Chocolate Tallcake.................................... 605 calories
Strawberries & Ice Cream.......................... 914 calories

Baskin-Robbins
York Peppermint Pattie Brownie Sundae (1 sundae): 1,610 calories
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu May 29, 2008 3:49 pm

That's what's called....the fine print. :( :)

That's why in order not to go nuts weighing and measuring absolutely everything or being an idiot, I have concluded it's safer to do without most calorie dense items.

Fortunately, as a vegan (which I know you're not, but still), most of these are now off limits to me, period.

If I really want something, I have to make it myself, and I'm the world's worst cook, so I end up throwing it out.

This solves the sweets problem, and I only have to worry about things like my husband the chef's homemade rye bread, which, surprise, surprise, is 7 ounces for two slices, or roughly 469 calories (source: www.calorieking.com), and I have to cut the stupid thing in half to stay within my limit. Or one cup or less of French fries...

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Thu May 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Holy crap!!!!!!!!! No more restaurant desserts for me! I find that for most of them, I don't even really enjoy them anyway, but HOLY CRAP!
I will have trouble though staying away from East Side Marios "Peanut Butter Stack" dessert. It is one I truly enjoy. Maybe I could cut it into 3? I'm gonna see if I can find the nutritional info on it.

Thanks for that info BrightAngel. :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu May 29, 2008 4:34 pm

I think sharing these desserts is the way to go. Most of the time I'm too full from my main meal to finish a dessert on my own anyway.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 29, 2008 4:42 pm

babyprrr wrote:I think sharing these desserts is the way to go.
I agree with that, however, do you think you could get 4 people to share one desert?
New York Cheesecake w/ Caramel Fudge Sauce….. 1 serving…. 1610 calories
If you can find 4 willing people, each would have a little over 400 calories apiece....
which, incidentally, is the same as two plain glazed raised Krispy Kreme donuts.
Of course, if you could find 8 people willing to share the same desert,
you'd only have 200 calories...the same as one plain glazed raised Krispy Kreme donut.
:lol:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 29, 2008 5:14 pm

I suppose then that it is fortunate for me that I no longer ENJOY restaurant desserts. MOST OF THEM ARE FROZEN ... thus they are not fresh!

And of course .. they ARE HUGE!!!!!!!!

We have a local donut shop that makes fresh donuts every morning, the REALLY lovely thing about them is that they are not TOO SWEET. Think Krispy Kreme .... BLEYCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, FOR ME ... the loss of desire of restaurant desserts has happened over time ...my palate has changed. We used to LOVE to go to EXTRAORDINARY DESSERTS a pretty wicked dessert restaurant ... the last few times we went it went from bad to worse. It did not change, the crowd did not change, but our palattes had.

I tried ANOTHER dessert restaurant when we first started NO S, the desserts were just sickeningly sweet again, we couldn't finish our relatively small portions and both felt sick.

I really beleive that if you gradually allow yourself fresh wholesome foods and follow NO S your palate and desires for food will change. PERSONALLY I am useless at denying myself a food if I want it ... thus the key has been the altering of my DESIRES ...

lets face it I WANT WHAT I WANT and they only thing that has worked for me in the long run is just NOT WANTING IT!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Fri May 30, 2008 1:07 am

blueskighs wrote:I suppose then that it is fortunate for me that I no longer ENJOY restaurant desserts. MOST OF THEM ARE FROZEN ... thus they are not fresh!

And of course .. they ARE HUGE!!!!!!!!

We have a local donut shop that makes fresh donuts every morning, the REALLY lovely thing about them is that they are not TOO SWEET. Think Krispy Kreme .... BLEYCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, FOR ME ... the loss of desire of restaurant desserts has happened over time ...my palate has changed. We used to LOVE to go to EXTRAORDINARY DESSERTS a pretty wicked dessert restaurant ... the last few times we went it went from bad to worse. It did not change, the crowd did not change, but our palattes had.

I tried ANOTHER dessert restaurant when we first started NO S, the desserts were just sickeningly sweet again, we couldn't finish our relatively small portions and both felt sick.

I really beleive that if you gradually allow yourself fresh wholesome foods and follow NO S your palate and desires for food will change. PERSONALLY I am useless at denying myself a food if I want it ... thus the key has been the altering of my DESIRES ...

lets face it I WANT WHAT I WANT and they only thing that has worked for me in the long run is just NOT WANTING IT!

Blueskighs
Yes yes YES!.
That's how we feel, too, we find restaurant food too salty, too greasy, to fake, too sweet, too big.
And if you've studied Culinary Arts or worked in a commercial kitchen, you can't forget some of the stuff that goes on normally in some kitchens.
Especially unforgettable was the lesson in which we learned that most of those "creams" you find in commercial sweets, cannolis, eclairs, on top of cakes... is simply commercial grade Crisco whipped with sugar, flavorings and colorants.
Think of it: mouthfuls of Crisco going down your throat.
A couple of months ago, we went to a seafood restaurant that has very good food and very good ratings, that day, because they got my order wrong, they gave me a free slice of lemon-white chocolate cake and after i ate about half of it, I realized that the half and inch frosting all around it was, indeed, Crisco with sugar and lemon extract.
Yeah, no more restaurant desserts for me!.

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Fri May 30, 2008 1:20 am

Mavilu wrote:
And if you've studied Culinary Arts or worked in a commercial kitchen, you can't forget some of the stuff that goes on normally in some kitchens.
Especially unforgettable was the lesson in which we learned that most of those "creams" you find in commercial sweets, cannolis, eclairs, on top of cakes... is simply commercial grade Crisco whipped with sugar, flavorings and colorants.
Think of it: mouthfuls of Crisco going down your throat.
Oh, sure, Mavilu, spoil it for the rest of us!! :P

Seriously, though, thanks for sharing this information with us, both Mavilu and Bright Angel. 1600 calories for one dessert???!!! OMG, no wonder this country is getting more obese every year!
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

palomayombe

Post by palomayombe » Fri May 30, 2008 1:59 am

/////////
Last edited by palomayombe on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Fri May 30, 2008 6:17 am

JillyBean wrote:
Oh, sure, Mavilu, spoil it for the rest of us!! :P

Seriously, though, thanks for sharing this information with us, both Mavilu and Bright Angel. 1600 calories for one dessert???!!! OMG, no wonder this country is getting more obese every year!
Whoopsie, hehe!.
When the teacher told us that, he said that the look of total shock on his students faces gave him hope that one day people would learn to eat better and be more choosy, so, I've decided to be his "disciple" and tell that around and make people go "eeew!'.
Mission accomplished!. :lol:

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:44 am

OMG that is just crazey! I had no idea restaraunt desserts had so many calories!

Luckily, I never order dessert when I go out to eat b/c I'm usually too full. Even before no s.

Thanks so much for sharing!