A little trick to fool the mind

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

A little trick to fool the mind

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:31 pm

Sometimes I get this crazy craving for something salty and savory and it's just not mealtime.

I've found that a mug of salted chicken broth does the trick. (If a glass of whole milk is allowed, I figure chicken broth is. Chicken broth has about the nutritional value of coffee with cream, anyway).

Sheiler

Post by Sheiler » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Noel,
I like your idea. I can see how it would really help. I also find that a cup of V8 often does the trick. It's salty and I get the two servings of vegies it contains, something I sometimes have a challenge with. :oops:

kbits

Post by kbits » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:03 am

Yeah I get that too sometimes.

I find that chewing on a ice cube works quite well. You can freeze them with a touch of salt or some cordial. V8 etc if you so desire for flavour.

There's something about *eating* it that draws your attention to the task, vs drinking. Maybe that's just me - call it training wheels? 'Snacking without snacking'?

(Plus water has the added advantage of giving you a sense of satiety...without giving you any calories)

I dunno - it might be a 'gate' around the 'fence'...which is *not* good for vanilla No-S

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:53 am

Noel, I do that (make my own chicken stock) and also occasionally have a cup of hot miso soup - same reasoning. It's warm, nutritious and can't be that different to milk or other caloric drink...
wim

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:00 pm

thanks for your post
i recently had a cup of broth when i was very hungry instead of snacking but like a true dieter seriously questioned it .. snack or no snack?? it was all liquid so i rationalized that it didn't count as a failure.

but i like the moral support
thanks
amyliz
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:53 pm

My thought is that if a 110 calorie glass of milk isn't really a snack, then good lord, a 15 calorie cup of broth shouldn't be!

I'd call it a snack if I added meat, veggies or a starch. That's not broth, it's SOUP.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:49 pm

just wanted to add a short quote from Reinhard's book on here:
The No S Diet does not count drinks (even caloric ones) as snacks. You can drink whenever you want, unless it is full of sugar, in which case it counts as a sweet.
that being said I drink water and 4-8 oz of Monavie (a whole fruit no sugar added juice) each day .... most of the times I drink the Monavie with a meal, or as a meal :) a few times, but sometimes I drink it between meals.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

jenabees

Post by jenabees » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 am

veggies... try miso soup for the same effect.
delicious and oh so salty!
jena
Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply
Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie.