Dried Fruit Question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JillyBean

Dried Fruit Question

Post by JillyBean » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 am

I know there is already a post going about optimized oatmeal, but I wanted to be sure this didn't get overlooked by those that have already answered that post and don't think there's a need to check it again...

Yesterday I decided to give the optimized oatmeal a try for lunch. I was running errands and would be out at lunchtime and I needed to eat something, but didn't want to go for fast food or spend the time and money at a sit-down restaurant. So, in the morning before leaving I put on some water to boil, measured out some rye flakes, oatbran, and 5-grain cereal that I have, added some raisins, craisins, and walnuts, and took a plastic spoon. I took the hot water in a thermos. Around 12:30 I poured some water over my cereal and let it sit about 5 minutes and ate in my car. I was satisfied and not hungry until dinnertime. It was great!

I have a question for others that do this and add dried fruit. Is the fruit sweetened? I was shopping at Sam's yesterday (one of my errands) and I could not find any dried fruit that didn't have added sugar. Do you use that, or do you go to a health food store and get special fruit without added sugar or what?
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:21 pm

I simply don't worry about it. The rule is not "no sugar," it's "no sweets." (I also put sugar in my coffee - one tsp/cup, 2 cups.) My oatmeal isn't at "dessert-level," so it's not a sweet.

As long as I'm not over-dosing on dried fruit - which is its own problem - I just don't see it as an issue.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi, jilly -- I don't know whether you live near a Trader Joe's, but that is where I buy dried fruit without added sugar. The dried figs are really good, and I love the California apricots, but they have shot up dramatically in price. On the other hand, one bag can last quite some time if you use them prudently (okay, I saw that pun coming!).