how do you handle parties on N days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jaob

how do you handle parties on N days

Post by jaob » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:17 pm

The type of parties that are just kinda snacking for hours. I don't have a problem with choices, there's usually healthy NoS choices. Do you virtual plate your food and then eat it for a couple of hours or just get your plate full and then call it good? Is there a time limit on a N meal?
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:54 pm

havent' had to deal with anything like this yet :(

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Nichole

Re: how do you handle parties on N days

Post by Nichole » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:10 pm

jaob wrote:The type of parties that are just kinda snacking for hours. I don't have a problem with choices, there's usually healthy NoS choices. Do you virtual plate your food and then eat it for a couple of hours or just get your plate full and then call it good? Is there a time limit on a N meal?
We had something like this in December. Food down all the rows of cubicles. I wasn't on No-S then, but if I had been, I would have just got one plate and filled it with one layer of food (meaning no piling on lots of stuff over eachother). As far as sweets, I think I would allow myself one sweet if these parties are few and far in between. If they're often, then those extra sweet calories will really add up.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

jaob

Post by jaob » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:07 am

thanks! It seems to be endless parties of this type lately! It think it best to fill a plate then be done. As often as these happen I would skip the sweets.
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:16 am

One thing that I learned from No S is that people are really much less concerned about what we are eating than we think. So you can attend the party and eat as you wish, and most likely no one will even notice!

If they say, "Have some x, its delicious." You can say, "Yes, I had some earlier." Or, "Maybe later." No one even needs to know that you have changed your eating habits, unless you want them to know!

And by eating one reasonable plate of food, you will take in so much less than if you picked at things for hours! Enjoy your party!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:42 pm

One thing that I learned from No S is that people are really much less concerned about what we are eating than we think. So you can attend the party and eat as you wish, and most likely no one will even notice!
CrazyCatLady,

this is such an excellent point and I have been found it to be true as well!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:03 pm

I'd say, if it's a party for someone very near and dear, call it an S-day and enjoy.

If it's some work related function, CrazyCatLady makes a good point: no one will be paying the slightest attention to what you're eating. Either hold out for a real meal after, pile up a plate of non-sweets (you *can* eat snacky party food as long as it's not sweet and fits on one plate), or "virtual plate" if you feel you can handle it (be careful!).

Give it a shot. I think you'll be surprised at how easy it usually is.

Reinhard

trytrytry

Post by trytrytry » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 am

Hi jaob,

I was actually in quite a similar situation this week. It wasn't even a party, more of an evening with a couple of friends and a table full of snacks. What I did at the end was to skip dinner and make it my 3rd meal.
I sat further away from the table with the food, asked them for a plate, put some things on the plate and keep eating it through the evening. I also brought some fruit, so my dinner wouldn't consist of nachos and alike only.

Perhaps the whole meal wasn't really too healthy, but what I would have normally done in a similar situation pre noS would be to come home, have dinner, go to see friends and keep snacking with them until I'm too full (which normally would trigger a bit of binge eating, so it wouldn't be unlikely that after coming home I would top it up with some ice cream).

But this way I had a controlled portion (one moderate plate) of some snacks (and some fruit!, no sweets of course!), I didn't feel deprived and I didn't have to say I was on a diet, which all together felt like a success.

But at the end I guess it all depends on a party/occasion...

Hope one way or another the party was fun!