dairy free?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babyprrr

dairy free?

Post by babyprrr » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:40 am

I'm contemplating going on a dairy-free(ish) diet for my N days. I know this is not a part of NoS in any way but just wanted to try something new and see if it makes a difference. I'm quite skinny on top but am abnormally pear shaped so I wanna see if I can lose the few extra pounds from the hips by going dairy free.

Has anyone else gone dairy-free before? What was the hardest thing to give up??

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 am

I've never cut diary completely from my diet but I have reduced it at times. This has never been a decision taken in advance; I'll just have noticed suddenly that I haven't had many dairy products for a few weeks. A reduction in weight has generally corresponded to these periods, but I've never continued with the low dairy option because (a: minor reason) it's unsustainable for me and (b: main reason) I don't want to because I like dairy foods. Mmm, cheese. I do seem to need a lot of protein in my diet, though. Try it: if it works for you, keep it up.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

rose

Re: dairy free?

Post by rose » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 pm

I'd suggest consulting your doctor. Osteoporosis is no fun. Looking thin is not worth risking a calcium defficiency. If you really eat a lot of cheese, consider having plain yogurt or milk instead.

Personally I would tend to eat dairy products more often, not less. AND I wish I was pear-shaped instead of apple-shaped. But hey, everyone is different. How about attracting the eye to your bust/shoulder area with short jackets, padded shoulders, bulking up your shoulders a bit with weights etc? You don't _have_ to look like some ideal pseudo-normal person.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Right now I'm apple shaped, but I *used* to be pear shaped in my skinnier days. :lol:

I worked out a lot as a younger woman, and I know there are some excellent exercises for helping skim down on hips and thighs. I can't remember them for the life of me - because I really wanted to pass them along to you! - but I'm sure you could google it, or even just get one appointment with a trainer to find out.

I'd keep your dairy, and just try something for exercise. It's amazing how results will pop up even with exercises you think aren't doing anything. I lost a whopping 25 lbs last year doing physical therapy of all things. Just standing up, kicking my leg out...riding a stationery bike...leg lifts - dorky things one has to do to rehab from hip surgery. But, with all those tiny exercises which barely broke a sweat, I still lost an incredible amount of weight, all in about 12 weeks.

Try the exercises, see if they help.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:02 pm

I was vegan for two years, I recently added yogurt and a bit of cheese back to my diet. That being said I haven't had any yogurt this week because I don't want it anymore right now.

I have problems when I eat too much wheat. So when I started no S I kept my wheat for S days. Since I was not having a problem with overeating it I added it back to N Days, but since it affected me, I am again reducing my wheat on N days.

All of our bodies are different and need different things at different times, If you experiment with taking dairy out of your diet on N days you can assess for yourself whether or not it "works" for you.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:12 pm

I enjoy dairy.
It is something I enjoy, is pleasurable for me, sustainable, and I am grateful for the food and humbled by the process it took to get to my table...
Anyway....
I enjoy half and half in my coffee, grilled cheese sandwiches, full fat yogurt.
A few years ago, I experimented with going dairy free.
For me, the hardest part was soy in coffee (I don't like black coffee but I do like soy chai tea lattes though!).
But, when I went dairy free at that time, I was a No S disaster.
I was eating a lot of food all of the time even though it was healthy.
I recommitted myself to No S and legalized all foods and realized that my body responds well to dairy.
For me, giving up snacking, super sizing, and seconds is more sustainable then giving up dairy and I have had many health improvements because I consume less of everything.....
But, it's personal decision for everyone.
You may not feel well with dairy or choose not to eat it for ethical reasons....
I find that when choosing to abstain from a food for moral, ethical, or religions reasons...it's easier than to do it purely for weight loss or health reasons.

I find that my body and eating preferences go through cycles....I crave certain foods or types of meals for weeks at a time and then switch when I feel ready for something different....

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:21 pm

but I do like soy chai tea lattes though
3aday
oh boy, that IS my THING :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:05 am

Yeah, when I read your blog I suddenly have intense cravings for soy chai tea lattes! :lol: