No S Day Meals

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

giantsbran1227

No S Day Meals

Post by giantsbran1227 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Hey guys I am just starting this diet and I have a question. On weekdays what should the 3 meals a day look like. Is stuff like pizza, burgers, burritos, buffalo wings, acceptable? I want to know if I can eat them if I still follow the rule of the 1 serving portion control. For example for lunch I could have only 1 burger or 1 or 2 max slices of pizza. Are these acceptable? What kind of food can I eat on the No S Day meals in the portion control standard. Thanks for the help guys.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:07 am

giantsbran1227,

WELCOME!

a lot of people write down what they eat on their "daily check-ins" in that part of the forum... it varies greatly!

the bottom line "portion control" is what can fit on a single plate.

if you have a chance to read the book it is very helpful,
Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

giantsbran1227

Post by giantsbran1227 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks can someone give me more of an answer though.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:36 pm

The simple answer is yes, they're acceptable.

Here's my two cents worth: none of the thing you mention are things I would routinely eat for a meal. For me, they're all "now and then" foods -- not necessarily reserved for "S" days, but also not to be consumed regularly on No-S days. I might have one or another of them once a week or even less often.

That being said, No-S is more about the habits than the actual food you eat. If you can eat those, stick to the one plate and lose weight -- great. It's really all about common sense and/or what works for you. If you think those foods are fine for day-to-day eating, then enjoy. However, if you think their consumption should be limited, then limit them. With the exception of the basic rules, there are no hard and fast rules about what you should eat.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:43 pm

You might check out the "daily check in" area of the bulletin board. A number of people post what they ate or plan to eat.

For me, the kinds of foods you list are also "once in awhile" foods, because it's hard (really hard) for me to stop at one or two pieces of pizza or a small serving of fries. I am way less likely to need major willpower to eat reasonable amounts of healthy food than reasonable amounts of what I think of as 'carnival food.' :)

Do you have the book? I don't have it with me so I can't remember where it is, but you can browse around the web site and message board for talk of "intelligent defaults." My intelligent defaults look something like -

smoothie and peanut butter toast for breakfast
sandwich + apple + carrots, or leftovers or something for lunch
for dinner I tend to like one-dish meals that are easy, like a starch, protein and veggie all mixed up in a skillet, pasta with veggies and protein, baked potato with stuff on it, etc.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:17 pm

I just kept eating what I was eating before when I started. If you like pizza and burgers, enjoy them! I think what you will find is that in time, you will begin to understand the feeling of "full" and "hungry". So you will learn that if you have "X" for lunch, you are not hungry again until 8pm, indicating that it was too much food. The next time you have "X", while you won't restrict due to a calorie count or point system, you will be thinking about the feeling of fullness and hunger, and you may not feel like finishing the whole portion.

Or you may find that certain foods that you liked before, because they felt like you were "getting away" with something, really don't taste that good. So over time, you will find that other, more healthy choices are what you crave.

I think at the beginning, it is VERY important to get the habit. Later you can attempt other adjustments to the menu. I had forgotten just how delicious fresh picked strawberries taste. And fresh mushrooms, lightly sauteed with some garlic.

Another thing that happens is that instead of going to McDonald's for a $1 meal, you find that you really can afford to buy the really good stuff. And you find time to prepare more of your own meals, because when you have a healthy HUNGER, a $1 chicken sandwich from McD's won't cut it. You know that you need to satisfy yourself enough to last until the next meal.

Trust your body to let you know what you need. As you stick to the habits of No S, it gets easier to listen to what your body wants and needs as nourishment!

irish

Post by irish » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:05 pm

I eat whatever I'm hungry for at my meals - the point of no s is getting into the habit of only 3 meals a day and only 1 plateful, not about depriving yourself of certain foods. So I'll have burritos or pizza or whatever my family is having. Since I try to make somewhat healthy meals for them, I just eat what they do.

spryng

Post by spryng » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:48 pm

well since this is a plan all about portion control I go one step further. If I want a burger I visualize taking it apart, bread, meat, etc etc and line it up side by side on my plate and you'd be suprised how much of the plate it takes up, if not the whole plate! (I use a childs size plate so it would take up a whole plate for me) so I keep that in mind when I want a burger, pizza, etc..
Spryng

mother of 4
5'3

3aday

Post by 3aday » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 am

I eat everything on No S!
I eat burgers, buffalo wings, pizza, panini's, burritos...
But, I stick to one plate three times a day.

My intelligent dietary default meal is rice and beans but I allow everything else except for snacks, sweets and seconds.

I think it's more important to stick to one plate of food of what you like three times a day than to radically change the way you eat from the get go. It's sustainable and then after months of habit, you can tweak it and make it healthier.

Starting tonight, I am going to keep a food journal for two weeks and you can see what I eat.
I have lost weight and found peace with food eating anything I want at the right times in the right amounts.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:37 pm

You can eat anything for your one-plate meals on No-s (except sweets).

But if you always or mostly eat extremely fatty, caloric plates, you'll probably have a hard time losing weight (along with other problems).

The good news is I don't think you will. You might at first. And you'll continue to sometimes. But the spotlight of a limited number of discreet meals force you to take them more seriously. You only have one chance to do each meal right, there's no make up, off stage eating to compensate. That pressure will almost certainly be enough to make your average meal a little healthier, a little better looking, without further systematic intervention. It's one thing to be a glutton, quite another to look like one. No one wants that.

If you try it for a few weeks and you find that for some reason you're immune to the spotlight effect, intelligent dietary defaults are a good semi-systematic but positive way to crowd out some of the bad stuff. But don't jump the gun. Give the spotlight a chance.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes,

Reinhard