Ack! Gaining!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

amarbach

Ack! Gaining!

Post by amarbach » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:31 pm

I have been nosing and walking daily. It has only been a week but I couldn't resist weighing. I have gained 2 pounds! I feel heavier! Should I tweak this just a little? I was thinking that I need to allot a certain percentage of the plate to veggies....
Any feedback would be great. I would really like to make this work!
Alexandra

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:29 pm

The first thing is DON'T PANIC or jump ship! :)

There are many reasons why the scale could be two pounds higher.

1) Simple measurement error - even very good scales can miss by a pound or two.
2) Normal variation - if you had a full/empty digestive tract, etc.
3) Increased muscle (weighs more than fat, but takes up less room)

Some of us also experienced a sort of "dieter's bounce," where we started off eating all the fattening things we loved that had been forbidden. That usually runs its course quickly, because that stuff doesn't stick with you until the next meal.

Similarly, some of us have to learn what constitutes a normal portion - we over-stuff for a bit until we get it right.

If you were already tending toward adding more veggies, that certainly wouldn't hurt you... but don't add it as a hard-and-fast rule that will make you feel that you're on a restriction diet. That almost always backfires.

The most important thing is to give yourself TIME, and use that time to learn to listen to your own body. You may need tweaks down the road, but one week is far too soon to say.

Good luck!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Yes, as KCCC states, some of us have trouble initially with the portions and or what we eat and gain some weight at first.
I did, I gained about two pounds in a month... but then I lost three in the following one and have kept losing ever since.
Don't worry too much about it, just keep going!

rose

Post by rose » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:21 am

What they said. And: have a look at my progress chart in my signature. A 2 pound gain or loss is not significant unless it's a mean weight gain or loss.

(also I do allocate about 1/3 to 1/2 of my plate to veggies and fruit on most N-day meals, but I don't beat myself up if I occasionally break this rule and have a sandwich or some pizza)
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:07 pm

A week is too short a time to make meaningful judgments, especially based on a single measurement. This takes serious time, and premature tweaking is usually a big mistake.

Reinhard

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:53 pm

So glad to see this posted! I felt heavier too, and jumped on the scale Sunday morning before coffee. 2 lbs. right there. I thought I would pass out!

Didn't jump ship, as someone else said, and just hung in there. Had to remind myself that I didn't put on this weight overnight, (or even in a month), so I won't take it off overnight...and besides, I'm focusing on habit, rather than numbers. But it's enough to just burn a person up, I tell ya. My clothes also aren't feeling as loose, either. It was all I could do not to just want to throw in the towel. It took A LOT of good self-talk, but I persevered.

Still plugging on --- not going to stop for 2 measley pounds.