New (ish) NoSer

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mighty Moose

New (ish) NoSer

Post by Mighty Moose » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:50 pm

Howdy Yall,

I am relatively new to the wonder that is NoS. I started in June, have been lurking ever since, and decided that it was time to formally introduce myself. I love the idea and sensible nature of NoS. I started this diet because I love food. I love it in the morning, and in the afternoon. I love it in the evening and underneath the moon. NoS appealed to me because I needed a way to reacquaint myself with food. I was a classic grazer (though I would not always choose the healthiest of pastures). I would eat all day long. Luckily for me I am very active and have a high metabolism, because with out it, I would probably weight a lot more than I do now. Unfortunately, no matter how active I was I would never loose weight. This has lead to many a self esteem issues. I have what I would consider a classic Italian build - practically no fat on me, except for my un-proportionally jolly belly :D . As I put it, I would rather have a tummy that you can wash laundry on…Not practice for kneading dough.

A few months ago I decided to do a little spring cleaning in my life. One of the things I decided to change was to get rid of the extra weight that I have been caring around for a few years. In order to do this, I needed to reacquaint myself with the food that I so love. Serendipity was working in my favor, and I found Shovel Glove and NoS a day after I decided to change my life.

After two months of NoS I have learned many things and my body has gone through quiet a few changes.

I now look at meal time and food in a completely different light. I was never an emotional eater. For me food became something to do when I was bored. Five free minutes equaled a bag of chips, or some cookies. Now five free minutes is time to sit back and enjoy being alive.

I have even come to enjoy being hungry. Before, hunger was something to be avoided at all costs. I have never liked being hungry. I have tried fasting a few times as part of my meditative practice and it has never worked out. Now I see hunger as a vehicle to more delicious and exciting meals.

I used to be the kind of person that could eat an entire 5 pound bag of gummy bears in one (longish) sitting. Thankfully I have gotten over that habit, now a cookie or two is enough to satiate my sweet tooth.

My wife is even turning into a vicarious NoSer. I am the family chef, so she tends to eat when I do. We also have far less snacks in the house, which means that both our sweet and snack tooth(s) have changed. On weekends we now go on ice cream and cookie dates. While staying at home and gorging yourself on ice cream has it merits, it is more enjoyable to walk through the many parks of NYC with ice cream and the person you love.

Not being constantly stuffed is a great feeling. I love having more energy and being able to move how I want, when I want. I also enjoy eating and not finding myself in an unavoidable food coma.

I started this diet at 5’9â€, 192 pounds and sporting a 40†waist (hips measured in at 36â€). After two months, I am still 5’9†:D and since I do not own a scale I have no idea how much I weigh, but I do have a 37 ½†waist. No change to the hips.

Clothes still fit the same, but I have a ways to go before that changes. None the less, I have noticed that my fat seems to be looser, and my wife says that I do indeed look thinner.

Starting weight = 192 Lbs
Ideal weight = 154 Lbs
Goal weight = I don’t really have one. I would like to see how much I can loose and keep off. I want my weight to be sustainable, that’s what I really care about.

Starting pants size = 34 to 36
Goal pants size = between 28 and 30

So, long story short after starting NoS I have come to realize that I still love food. In fact, I would say that I love food more now then I did before. I just love it three times a day…..not all day long.

I would also like to say thank you Reinhard and thank you to everyone on the bulletin boards.

Cheers,

Might Moose :P
The clown dances in a fire of delight. All for the sake of the mystery nut.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:16 pm

Welcome, Moose! Loved your entire post! :lol: Like you, I have found that being hungry at meal time has increased the pleasure from food, rather than decreased it! (So very different from any other "diet" I have ever been on!) Sounds like you are really making healthy changes!