No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lighthouse

Post by lighthouse » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi everyone
I just wanted to say that this is my first day on this plan. I haven't had any snacks so far. I am finding it a bit hard as I am so used to snacking, it's not hunger really it's the habit of eating
I am a bit worried that I might get really hungery until dinner and won't be able to hold myself

vcanfield

Welcome

Post by vcanfield » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi,

This is my second week so I'm pretty new here, but I do know that the time just before dinner is a killer. If you get famished I suggest you add a mini-meal; class of milk and a stick of string cheese, fruit and cheese- that kind of thing. Keep it small and try adjusting your lunch so maybe you can weed out the extra meal. I had to use that technique or I would end up piling food so high on my plate it started to look like a sculpture. I felt like the guy in Close Encounters of the Third kind when he is building a mound of mashed potatoes and the family is staring at him- LOL. Now my dinners are much more normal looking. Good Luck.
Veronica

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:37 pm

Welcome, lighthouse. Snacking is the hardest "S" to give up for most people -- but also the most important (virtually all of the increase in calorie consumption during the "obesity epidemic" of the last decades have come from snacks). The good news is that once you break the snacking habit it becomes relatively easy to resist -- keep in mind that most people hardly ever snacked until the last three decades.

But the first few weeks can be tough. Make sure to eat big firsts at meals to get you through to the next without excessive hunger. Drink plenty of water between meals -- even caloric beverages like milk or 100% fruit juice if necessary. And as vcanfield suggests, if worse comes to worst, you can always add an official 4th mini-meal.

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Reinhard

lighthouse

Post by lighthouse » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:06 pm

I agree, I used to snack so much and I find it very difficult to stop. I bought a pack of gum to keep me going.

fizXgirl314

Post by fizXgirl314 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:31 pm

i think giving up snacking has been one of my favorite things. i always felt like i was nevr compltely empty until my next meal. now i really enjoy the feeling of needing to eat. you can actually feel the food filling your stomach up bite by bite if you aren't constantly full when you eat.. strange as it sounds...

i think no S is right on with all the suggestions it makes about excessive eating. try your best to keep with the original principles if you can.
Christina age 29