Help...the stupid scale got me...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

KAxelrod

Help...the stupid scale got me...

Post by KAxelrod » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Help...

I recently started No S. I love it. I feel like THIS is the habit change that will really make a difference for me.

But, I did a stupid thing. This morning, I got on the scale. I gained some from when I started (on Aturday). No, it's not muscle. I work out, but haven't upped the workouts lately. I know the scale should not be my judge of success, and I think I will throw out the scale or bash it into small pieces. But, in spite of what I know intellectually (it could be water weight, my weight varies a lot, etc.), if I allow myself, I could be undone by this. I was planning on weighing myself once a week, but maybe it's a better idea NOT to weigh in at all.

Can a few of you write and tell me what I think I already know - That the scale is NOT how I should judge my success!

I have eaten far less the past 5 days than ever, and my body actually feels a bit smaller. And, I love not being controlled by food. And, I HATE the scale right now.

Adagia

Post by Adagia » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:38 pm

Bah, the scale if fickle, so many things can change it. Take a look at this thread: http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4013
Started Aug 04, 200 lbs
As of Sep 8, 195.5 lbs (5 weeks on habit)
45 years, 5' 10"

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:39 pm

I did a podcast on this subject a while ago:

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=25

An alternative to focusing exclusively on behavior (behavior should always be your primary focus) or sharply limiting scale stepping, is to take a more frequent but disciplined approach (i.e., tracking the moving average in excel -- see rose's excellent example).

These can all three (ignore, regular infrequent, regular frequent) be successful strategies, depending on the individual, but it's important to decide which you're going to pursue, and be ready to reassess if you find it isn't working for you: example, some of use would like to be able to simply ignore the scale, or step frequently and take it's crazy fluctuations in stride, but find we can't.

Reinhard

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:50 pm

The scale is evil. The scale is not your friend. Your scale is your worst enemy....okay...now you know my opinion. If you are emotionally swayed by the numbers on the scale, as I am, then don't do it. Try to live without caring what the numbers say and live by whether or not you lived a healthy day or not.

I haven't weighed myself in a long time, but I know whether I'm losing weight or not....and I really and truly want my goal to eat to be heathy, not be trapped by the numbers on the scale. All the scale does for me is remind me that my past is full of bad eating. I have enough emotional swings, I absolutely don't need to trip myself up by stepping on that diabolical tool of despair and discouragement. Okay...that description might be a bit over the top....but you get the picture!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

jessdr

Post by jessdr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:27 pm

reinhard wrote: An alternative to focusing exclusively on behavior (behavior should always be your primary focus) or sharply limiting scale stepping, is to take a more frequent but disciplined approach (i.e., tracking the moving average in excel -- see rose's excellent example).
I'm doing a 7-day window average in a spreadsheet, and it is VERY helpful. The scale bounces around a lot for me (typically by 2-5 lbs if I've had more than a negligible amount of sugar, i.e., after S days), so being able to see the general trend makes a huge difference. So even when the scale is throwing a tantrum, I can see that the overall trend is still creeping downward.

I'd be happy to post the spreadsheet, if anybody's interested.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Unfortunately for me "losing weight" is as much a part of my personal BED binge eating disorder as is binging. I am REALLY learning this on NO S as my weight stays strategically placed less than 5 pounds above where I would "like" it to be for almost 4 months.

Even while I measure my bodyfat and it is slowly decreasing over past 4 months SIGNIFICANTLY I am now having to confront how simply and ridiculously I am addicted to having that number go down.

I realize it is especially futile as decreasing the number quickly usually means a significant loss in lean body mass, thus making you weigh less but be more flabby and with a wrecked metabolism,

SOOOOOOOO don't rely solely on the scale. As a "package" it can be helpful as it IS concrete and tangible, but without consideration of things like habitcal and measuring bodyfat it is just not truthful ... as the scale commites lies of ommission by not giving us the whole truth

this is hard to shake, this whole attachment to decreasing numbers, as bad a habit as the bad habit eating behaviors themselves.

I have decided to use No S to break this bad habit as well!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 am

On No-S, I came to the realization that I was NEVER happy with my weight. I always wanted to be "five pounds less" than the weight I was - however little I weighed.

What a waste of time and energy.

I now focus on being "on habit," and try to develop a mild curiosity about where my weight will end up. It helps a lot to cultivate that attitude, but I have to be vigilant about it. It's too easy to be elated at a small loss, or devastated by a tiny gain.

KAxelRod, there is a LOT of fluctuation in measurement, and the scale is only one measure. Focus on the others. How do your clothes fit? How do you FEEL?

Don't let the scale beat you up! :)

KAxelrod

Thank you!

Post by KAxelrod » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:49 am

Thank you all. Just what I needed. I hope I can soon offer supportive posts. Right now, as a newbie, I feel like I'm the fortunate recipient of free therapy and support from you all!