Crawling back. x_x

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hellbunnie

Crawling back. x_x

Post by Hellbunnie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:27 pm

Yeah, so before this summer I was on NoS (and lost 2 lbs, ahahaha). Then I went to China for 2 months, and NoSing went out the window, because I knew I would be just fine weight-wise there (lost 10 lbs in a month, drank 2 lbs back in the last 2 weeks, but ate whatever I wanted the whole time).

So I come back to the US all like YAYOMGILOSTWEIGHT. Only I guess I forgot my eating habits can't stay the same as they were in China. No idea why, I was eating all sorts of things I'd never think of eating in the US (grande Starbucks caramel macchiatos almost every day, fried foods, you name it). Soooooo I have to get back under control, before I gain back everything I lost.

Just sharing a lesson for those of you who travel. Whatever magic potion it is that makes you lose weight in other countries doesn't apply at home. Bleh.

wosnes

Re: Crawling back. x_x

Post by wosnes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Hellbunnie wrote: Just sharing a lesson for those of you who travel. Whatever magic potion it is that makes you lose weight in other countries doesn't apply at home. Bleh.
Could exercise make the difference? More walking or biking instead of riding in a car? Just curious...
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Though multi course meals are pretty common (at least for special occasions), I know the Chinese are generally not so into sweets and snacks (calories from snacking are "inconsequential" in China according to a paper I site in the book). Maybe that was it?

Reinhard

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Yes I've noticed this as well. When I go abroad to non-Western countries ( i.e. Asia) I generally lose weight even if I'm not following NoS. It might be due to less sweets, and less availability of snacks. I think portion sizes are generally smaller as well. And most people are quite slim, so it makes me ashamed to be bingeing/ appearing to be greedy.

Hellbunnie

Post by Hellbunnie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:01 pm

A Chinese meal is usually set up so that everyone has a bowl of rice, and there are a whole bunch of communal dishes in the middle. So...kind of multi-course I guess, but it really doesn't seem like it. You can't eat a lot of the food in the dishes without rice, and once the rice runs out it's like "okay I'm done". A bit hard to overstuff yourself like that.

Actual special occasion meals though...seriously, if it was put down on a list, any doctor here would call it a binge. They are definitely a food-oriented culture.

And as for exercising, I did almost nothing the first month. Walked around a bit, but I don't think it was any more than my normal exercise in the US. The last two weeks my dorm was on the 5th floor with no elevator. :D Up and down that 4+ times a day gave me amazing thighs. But those were the weeks I gained weight...

A difference I don't really see diet researchers pointing out between Asian and Western cuisine is the Asian aversion to cold and icy stuff. Hot tea is the restaurant equivalent of ice water here. The average household has no ice at all. Ice-cream and stuff is still enjoyed, but not often, and you will usually hear something like "this is so freaking colllllld" from the eater even as he/she enjoys it. I would say Asian consumption of cold foods and beverages is at most, half of the average American.