Soup an S for me

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

Soup an S for me

Post by ou812 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:03 am

Tonight my wife made a very tasty Curry Leek soup. I ate more than one bowl of the soup, because it was mostly liquid with some vegetables. I wasn't sure how to handle this one. The virtual plate idea didn't work for me. I know that if I had a single bowl then I would be hungry 30 min. later. How do you guys handle soup? I am sure that this has been addressed somewhere, but nothing turned up when I did a search. Thanks.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:05 am

Soup is a favorite of mine, too.
I usually I have 1 plate + bread + fruit, that keeps me from being too stuffed and from being hungry too soon.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:29 am

Oh, there's been plenty of soup talk around here. The search function must have been on the fritz.

Some teaser content from the book (page 90):
What About Soup?

Soup can confound the clarity of No S a bit; it’s certainly
a mainstream, normal, and acceptable component of the
everyday meal and is not something it would be fair to
restrict to S days. And yet it often involves an extra plate.
But with a modicum of attention you can pull it off
without much trouble. Here’s how: (1) If the soup is
hearty, have a hunk of bread with it and call it a meal.
(2) Or use a smaller dinner plate to compensate for the
soup if it is only part of the meal (this is a form of vir-
tual plating). I’ve done both, but I usually do the first. I
eat plenty of soup.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:41 am

I'm a soup lover and (I think) responsible for a lot of the soup conversation here. I usually have a bowl of soup daily for lunch. I make soup at least once a week, usually twice. I usually allow 1 1/2 cups per serving -- occasionally more if it's a really brothy, light soup or something like gazpacho.

Along with it I have bread and either a small salad or raw veggies and fruit. Sometimes I have half a sandwich and fruit instead.

Broth-based soups that are heavy on the vegetables are usually very low in calories.

Today I'm making corn chowder. Yum!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Depending on how much soup I am having, I don't measure my portions so I don't know exactly, I have one LARGE bowl - that's if I am having only soup. If I want to have other stuff then I just use one of my medium or small bowls and set it on my plate and just put other stuff around it.

Its actually pretty simple, straightforward and uncomplicated :D but now I am being redundant!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:15 pm

blueskighs wrote:Depending on how much soup I am having, I don't measure my portions so I don't know exactly, I have one LARGE bowl - that's if I am having only soup. If I want to have other stuff then I just use one of my medium or small bowls and set it on my plate and just put other stuff around it.

Its actually pretty simple, straightforward and uncomplicated :D but now I am being redundant!

Blueskighs
The only reason I know about how much soup I eat (1 1/2 cups) is that my ladle holds 1/2 cup and I usually ladle out three of them. The bowls I've been using most recently must hold at least 3 cups, and I'm only filling them 1/2 to 2/3 full.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."