Feeling Desperate and in need of NoS buddy...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

drswife

Feeling Desperate and in need of NoS buddy...

Post by drswife » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi I was off NoS diet for awhile and this is my 2nd week back on it. It feels amazing and empowering but I'm really freaked out because I stepped on the scale for the first time in a long time and I gained another 10 lbs during the time I stopped doing NoS.

That means I need to lose 60 lbs! I spent most of my life worrying about 10 or 15 lbs but in the last 10 years (i'm 40 now) I put on 50 lbs. yes I had two kids during that time and got married so my lifestyle has obviously changed but this is just unbelievable.

I'm really depressed and would love to have someone to touch base with regularly. If anyone is interested please email me at cheflindap@yahoo.com or just msg me.

thank you!!!!

Linda

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 pm

DrsWife, are you sure you need a buddy outside the boards?

I'll be happy to provide a lot of positive feedback, support, etc., but just can't handle any more messages or emails. And I suspect if you post here, you'll find a constant stream of support. Like a buddy group!

At any rate, I do wish you well on this, and am glad to see you back. :D

Cheers,

KCCC

Merry

Re: Feeling Desperate and in need of NoS buddy...

Post by Merry » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:09 am

Hi Linda! Similar boat here--40's, 2 kids, and 50 or so pounds to lose! Hang in there with us, you can do this!

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

SerenityNow

Post by SerenityNow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:04 am

I belong in this group as well: 43, two kids, about 40 lbs to lose. Except lately, I've been willing to look at that number (40) and reconsider it. I think I'm now willing to aim for 20 and then reconsider. Right now I'm at 170 lbs. I'm 5'4". At 150 I'd be comfortable in a size 10, which would certainly be better than the current state of affairs. And, truth be told, in the past when I haven't been preoccupied with weight or dieting, 150 lbs seems to be where my body just naturally settles at. I think I could be happy with that.

Today is my second day of No S. I like this because I love to cook and I feel quite liberated. In the past I have done the calorie restricting, the carb-cutting, and everything else in between the two extremes. I have lost a lot of weight only to gain it right back because all of those approaches are not sustainable in the long run. For example, you low carb for 3 or 4 or maybe even 6 months. Your weight loss reaches a plateau. Then it's a holiday or someone's birthday and you have a little slice of cake. But you know you want more, and more, and more. And next thing you know all bets are off. 2 or 3 months later you've binged yourself right back to where you started, except now you're demoralized and angry and keep threatening yourself with another bout of low-carbing. This is no way to live.

Anyhow, I'd love to be no-S buddies with y'all.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:17 pm

I'll be your buddy! Do you have your daily check in thread going?

Resting

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:57 pm

SerenityNow wrote: I'm 5'4". At 150 I'd be comfortable in a size 10,
I will never cease to be amazed at how different bodies can be! I am 5'5 1/2", and at 150 I'd be nowhere near a size 10! I can't get down to a 10 until I'm about 135! (And I'd love to be a 10 again but would even settle for a 12, LOL!)

Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

SerenityNow

Post by SerenityNow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Merry wrote:
SerenityNow wrote: I'm 5'4". At 150 I'd be comfortable in a size 10,
I will never cease to be amazed at how different bodies can be! I am 5'5 1/2", and at 150 I'd be nowhere near a size 10! I can't get down to a 10 until I'm about 135! (And I'd love to be a 10 again but would even settle for a 12, LOL!)

I know... It's really amazing! Anyhow, I hate the whole notion of discrete sizes for clothing, or numbers in general.

I'm at work now and in some ways being at work makes NoS easier. On the other hand, the challenge is when I get home. I get home at around 3:30, and for my entire life that has meant "after school snack time". It's hard to break out of such a set pattern. And, that is the time that's most troublesome for me. But yesterday I dealt with it by having a nice cup of coffee and some water, and it did the trick. I hope I can replicate it today.

In the past few weeks I've been walking a lot. With the rain, however, I've fallen out of habit, and I'm hoping I will resume today.

I find it helps a lot knowing what I will cook for dinner each night. Breakfast and lunch are pretty automated "no-brainer" type things. But dinner is the time when I can get creative.

Also, I have always found that brushing teeth after dinner is a good way of not eating before bedtime... always a challenge...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:25 pm

SerenityNow wrote:In the past few weeks I've been walking a lot. With the rain, however, I've fallen out of habit, and I'm hoping I will resume today.

I find it helps a lot knowing what I will cook for dinner each night. Breakfast and lunch are pretty automated "no-brainer" type things. But dinner is the time when I can get creative.
I'm aware of one expert who says, "If it's nice outdoors, you walk; if it's raining, you walk; if it's snowing, you walk; if it's windy, you walk, if there's a hurricane, you walk." Basically, no excuse for not walking. Since I know he practices what he preaches and also that he's lived in FL and IN, I guess he walks in all weather!

When I grocery shop on the weekend, I have 5 meals planned for the next week. The meals usually aren't planned for a specific day. But narrowing the choices to those 5 things makes cooking easier. I assume that we'll eat out, eat leftovers, have breakfast for dinner or I'll try a new recipe the other two evenings. It seems to work.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

SerenityNow

Post by SerenityNow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:54 pm

wosnes wrote:
SerenityNow wrote:In the past few weeks I've been walking a lot. With the rain, however, I've fallen out of habit, and I'm hoping I will resume today.

I'm aware of one expert who says, "If it's nice outdoors, you walk; if it's raining, you walk; if it's snowing, you walk; if it's windy, you walk, if there's a hurricane, you walk." Basically, no excuse for not walking. Since I know he practices what he preaches and also that he's lived in FL and IN, I guess he walks in all weather!

When I grocery shop on the weekend, I have 5 meals planned for the next week. The meals usually aren't planned for a specific day. But narrowing the choices to those 5 things makes cooking easier. I assume that we'll eat out, eat leftovers, have breakfast for dinner or I'll try a new recipe the other two evenings. It seems to work.
I like that "If it's nice I walk...." I'm hoping to work towards that. But the thing is also that I've had a sharp pain in my foot and needed to stay off it and start back slowly. I'm really hoping that what my chiro did took care of it and I won't have to stop again.

As for meal planning, I do have to get better at that. I usually plan a couple days at a time, but I do think it would help to plan out the whole week and shop in advance. Wednesdays I usually do roasted chicken because I usually go to the farmer's market and buy fresh chicken. Once a week I do some sort of lentil or bean dish. But with colder weather coming I think I'll get more into stews and soups. Thinking of getting a crock pot. Any brand suggestions?

On Sunday I made pizza from scratch. I made sprouted whole wheat crusts, and man were they good. I also put a little chipotle pepper sauce on the crusts before putting on the tomato and cheese. Yummo! And then I made a quince tarte tatin, puff pastry from scratch and all. I had the best time.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:38 am

wosnes said:
When I grocery shop on the weekend, I have 5 meals planned for the next week. The meals usually aren't planned for a specific day. But narrowing the choices to those 5 things makes cooking easier.
I kind of do the same thing. Every Saturday when I go to the Farmer's Market I have an idea of what we'll be eating that week, then I see what's at the market. I know we go out to eat once a week and that my husband goes out for lunch on work days.

Once that planning becomes HABIT :D it really makes things easier,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:42 pm

I'll be your buddy also! I fell off the wagon and could use some support also! I'll look for your daily check in!! :)
A creature of habit; the No S habit!!!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:29 pm

drswife,

I'm sorry you ran into such trouble, and I hope we can give you sufficient support to keep you on track this time.

I'll think about maybe adding some kind of buddy or tandem or team mode to the habitcal... I think it would be neat and possibly quite helpful if it could be done intuitively and unobtrusively.

Reinhard

drswife

Post by drswife » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:51 am

thank you all for the great support. I'm feeling so good now that I'm back on track and I have no desire to to do anything different than NoS.

The whole weighing thing just really threw me for a loop but most of my clothes still fit me so maybe it was just artifically high for some reason or maybe my scale was wrong before. I'm just going to weigh myself for the first 3 days of every month to get a monthly average and tweak things only if I'm seeing no progress. I'm okay with slow progress.

I've had two weeks all greens and I've exercised about 9 of those days so feeling really great about everything. I feel in my heart I'm doing the best thing for myself. My portions are so much smaller this time around w/out trying. It think because my body adjusted to the no snacking thing much quicker and i'm not so fearful of being hungry between meals. So with the smaller, lighter meals and added exercise this time around, I know that the weight is going to come off eventually.

i don't have a daily check in (don't know what that is) but anyone who wants to msg or email me is most welcome!

thanks again for everything.

Linda :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Glad you feel better and on track now Linda :)
A daily check in is a thread you create here, in that section for yourself to update whenever you like.. It can be a place you post daily or whenever you feel like updating people..
Just keeps all your info in one thread.
Check that section and create your own :)
Have a nice weekend.
Peace and Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness