Protein drinks

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JerryLee

Protein drinks

Post by JerryLee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:00 pm

I just started this, and am wondering where pretein powder drinks work into this. Is it ok to drink one in between meals, or is it considered only as part of a meal?

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:52 pm

It's counterproductive to use the stuff at all if you're trying to lose weight, given that their stated purpose is to add bulk. If you must, I'd say only use it as a food protein replacement.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi :)
Well your two issues really are whether it's a snack and what the other ingredients are besides protein.
If it's got a lot of sugar, more than say a few teaspoons worth, then it's a sweet, and if you are having it in between your meals it's a snack.
If it is part of your meal and not much sugar, it should be okay.. People have milk, coffee, orange juice, wine etc with their meals and it's allowed..
I also would consider whether you are having one or several of these a day.
Do you take them because of weight training?
I don't really go for those things if I have a choice of food instead, but I can understand they are convenient in certain circumstances.
Just watch it isn't a sweet.
Good luck
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

dai479

Post by dai479 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:53 pm

Like gratefuldeb67 said, you really need to look at the ingredients. A lot of protein powders have all sorts of crap in them including scary artificial sweeteners and even extra sugar and fats for the "bulking" ones.

I use one that is just whey protein. Has 80 calories and 20 grams of protein. I use it to give me my protein requirements for the day as I've cut way back on meat.

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:31 am

protein powder *can* be helpful if you are having problems with your blood sugar and you need to get some protein in. Just make sure it's not loaded with sugar and other stuff, as someone else mentioned.

I find it helpful in steelcut oats to make them have more "sticktotheribs" value.