Fear of Success??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Betty

Fear of Success??

Post by Betty » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:00 am

My no-S journey has taken the long and winding road rather than the straight shot. The first three months I followed the letter of the law, but not necessarily the spirit, and was happy but didn't lose a pound.

Then, I tweeked the plan a bit (ate a bit more fat at breakfast and standardized my lunches to something yummy, hearty and vegetable-rich rather than the fruit and cheese sandwitch of yore) and the weight started to drop. I lost four pounds in two months and was beginning to be able to notice the difference.

But this past week I've had a back slide. I've had 4 failures in the past week. Granted it's "that time of the month," but still...

I find that I need some support to get back on track. I'm 1/4th of the way to my goal and that feels great. But why o why have I backslid so dramatically?? I feel totally out of control. Habits seem to have vanished overnight.

Any advice?

Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

gingercake

Re: Fear of Success??

Post by gingercake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:16 pm

Betty wrote:But this past week I've had a back slide. I've had 4 failures in the past week. Granted it's "that time of the month," but still...

Any advice?

Betty
I REALLY struggle during PMS week, and it's not psychological - it's true physical hunger and also cravings. During that week, you might try to eat a little more at meals, or decide, "This week I can have a 1/2-meal sized snack in the afternoon" so that it doesn't feel like failure when you do. However you decide to address it, I think the most important thing is to not freak out and let it derail you. That is a big challenge for me, too.

It sounds like you're doing great, though, all around!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:56 pm

I've had similar issues lately, partly due to some health problems & low iron levels - which in my case seems to lead to dramatically increased appetite. I've attacked this in a few ways:

1) Tweaked my diet to include more variety, more green vegetables and more protein and iron rich foods.

2) Included a 4th "mini-meal" mid morning which is usually a handful of nuts or a banana, or I'll just nibble something from my lunch.

3) Stopped being afraid to eat fat! I don't let myself worry about fat content anymore, and just enjoy real healthy whole foods.

Also, during PMS week I add in yet another mini meal in the afternoon, but only if I feel the need for it and generally eat a lot more fat (from nuts, peanut butter, coconut, avocadoes and olive oil, and sometimes even butter) I think I probably eat about twice the amount of fat on these days than on other days. The funny thing is though, that when PMS week is over and my appetite returns to something more sensible, I usually find that me weight is at it's lowest - not sure why that would be, maybe some crazy hormonal metabolic thing.

I've been doing these things for a couple of months and haven't gained weight, or lost any that I've noticed, but I have been getting lower bodyfat percentage readings on my scale lately.

Good luck :)