Meal structuring / Menu planning tip

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bonnieUK

Meal structuring / Menu planning tip

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi everyone :)

I read a good tip recently on a Macrobiotics website (I forget which site) which said to plan each meal around a protein food. I guess for those who regularly eat meat, this won't seem like much of a revelation, but for the more veggie inclined like me this proved a very helpful tip!

At the same time I also decided to get back into menu planning and I have to say it's a good idea. I made a 3 week plan, planned my 3 meals per day for each day (plus my mid morning "second breakfast" to borrow a Hobbit term :)). I've kept the meal ideas simple, and each week features pretty much the same meals with slight variations. I then plan to just repeat the 3 weeks.

This may seem like a lot of work, but once the menu plan is written up there is very little work involved. I keep it posted on the door of my food cupboard, and I check it in the morning so I know what breakfast and lunch to make for myself (DH makes his own) and if I need to prepare anything in advance for dinner.

I’ve been back at this for a couple of weeks now (well, apart from one cookie incident ) so I thought I’d share as others may find it helpful to try something similar.

My menu plan makes allowances for trying out new recipes or deviating from the menu completely, as long as each meal contains some protein and fat (something that hasn’t always featured highly in my diet) fruit or vegetables, and that I get plenty of variety.

This has definitely helped me stick to no S, get more variety in my diet and feel more satisfied/fuller for longer because I’m now getting adequate amounts of protein and fat, (where before I’d often eat quick meals based on just carbs and veggies/fruit, which would fill me up for a while, but didn’t sustain me very long).

If anyone is wondering, a typical day on my menu plan looks like:

1 – Oatmeal with pecans, almonds, hemp seeds and raisins.
2 – Handful of nuts/seeds, banana.
3 – Black beans in tomato sauce (from can), hummus and salad on rye bread. Miso soup. Apple.
4 – Tofu burgers, mixed salad, steamed greens & carrots, mashed potato.

Not very exciting, but keeps me going and I do find it easy to stick too as long as I keep portions generous and add liberal amounts of olive oil/coconut oil to salads/veggies. I find the menu plan provides a good structure for the day, around which I can fit in extras like tea, coffee, soy/almond milk, know in advance which groceries will be needed. As an added bonus, I spend less time wandering aimlessly around my kitchen deciding what to cook :)

Sorry for the longwinded post, but I’m in a sharing mood :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for the examples!

I am a meat eater - but that translates to chicken once a week, fish once a week, and red meat occasionally. We eat cheese (probably too much - love it!), eggs, beans and pasta for the other meals.

My "rule of thumb" is "plate divisions" - 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb (preferably complex), 1/2 fruit/veggies. (Of course that really is just a rule of thumb - if we have complex meals like casseroles or pasta, have to adapt.)

I do find it helps to plan ahead. I tend to do it weekly, and when I don't get to it, life is much harder. Scrambling from day to day (the mode I'm in this week!) is definitely more stressful.

It helps to have a repertoire of "quick easy meals from pantry/freezer items" on hand. Frozen tortellini, and good jarred sauce. Canned beans for quick chili or black bean soup. Tuna for tuna melts. That kind of thing.

I'm impressed by a three week rotation! :)

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:48 pm

KCCC wrote:Thanks for the examples!..
Scrambling from day to day (the mode I'm in this week!) is definitely more stressful.
Hi KCCC!

Thanks :) I know what you mean, that's what I was doing a lot lately I realised I needed to get back into menu planning when DH complained one day that all we seem to eat is couscous, sauce (from a jar) and vegetables LOL.

In my plan, I've planned for fish once per week (still new to both me and DH, but we've decided we could do with more protein) eggs a couple of times, and most days protein comes from nuts, beans, tofu etc. I also have some standby quick food for those hectic days, like canned beans, frozen enchiladas, various frozen veg, veggie burgers, nut cutlets etc. and if all else fails, there's always the good old PB&J sandwhich :D

I can't take credit for the 3 week menu rotation, it was an idea I saw on one of those "organised housewife" blogs :)

Betty

Post by Betty » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:47 pm

The "tweek" that got me started losing weight on No S was to standardize my breakfasts and lunches. For breakfast I almost always have a bowl of oatmeal with a big dallop of almond butter. I make lunches for the work week on Sunday and put them in tupperware. Lunch this week is a curry with tons of veggies beans and lentils and just a bit of chicken plus a fruit of my choice.

Dinner is whatever I feel like having, but I'm convinced that the reason I've finally started losing weight is that I'm not searching for more or better most days of the week.

Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:59 am

Another "quick meal" I've added to my repertoire is "egg in a hole" (it has lots of other names too - toad in a hole, egg in a basket, etc.). Essentially, a slice of bread with a hole cut into it. Put on a griddle to toast, with a bit of butter (either on the bread or the griddle). Break an egg into the hole. Flip when it turns white. Toast the "hole" alongside and serve with the egg part.

Definitely comfort food.

Fish is a staple for us - so many ways to cook it. I usually bake or broil, but use various seasonings. Honey mustard (with a tiny bit of soy sauce) is a great favorite at our house.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi KCCC

I like the sound of the quick egg meal, I may have to try that :)

In the UK what we call toad in the hole is sausages cooked in baked in a bubbly yorkshire pudding batter (which I think is much like basic pancake mix, possibly with a raising agent added), my mum sometimes makes it (with veggie sausages) and serves it with buttery mashed potato, steamed greens and onion sauce - it makes nice winter comfort food :)

I’m a bit clueless about cooking fish (I’ve had very little experience preparing meat or fish generally), even though I ate it as a kid, my experience of preparing it is limited to opening a can of tuna, putting frozen fish-fingers in the oven, or buying battered cod from the fish and chip shop :) I’ve got some frozen cod fillets which I was planning to bake in the oven in some tomato and herb sauce, so hoping that will turn out ok. Perhaps when I get more adventurous I'll consider buying some that isn't frozen, covered in breadcrumbs or from a can :D

pickle

Post by pickle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:18 pm

I like this idea. I'm also of the veggie persuasion, and I don't always eat protein-rich meals. This tends to lead to hunger between meals and I hate being hungry! I think I'll start small and plan out next weeks meals this weekend.

I've never heard of egg in a hole before, but I happen to have both bread and eggs on hand. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning :D