Eating like a caveman or starches as an S, working for me

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

davestarbuck

Eating like a caveman or starches as an S, working for me

Post by davestarbuck » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Hey all,

Like the title says I'm getting great results with adding starches to my no S paradigm. I've gone from tight 38" pants to very loose 38" pants in one month, and I have gotten stronger,quicker and have been sleeping better ever since I started. My scale weight went from 230 lbs to 220 lbs but I've lost an inch and a half from my waist, so I think I've gained 3-4 lbs of muscle in that month.

The first two days were hell on earth, but on the third day I woke up with massive amounts of energy. I have no problems with feeling like I'm starving to death between meals either. In fact I'll often go 14 hours or more without eating and feel absolutely fine.

I've decreased my workouts to 2 30 minute strength workouts a week, and I do interval sprints once a week. I still do the urban ranger at least 1 hour (about 4 miles now for me) most days (it's my alone time).

Weekends I mostly still eat Paleo/cave man, but I'll have a PBJ or bowl of oatmeal instead of brownies,cake,cookies.. or some PIZZA :twisted:

Just curious if anyone else has tried it and had the same results?

-Dave
Cut to size,file to fit, paint to match...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Good for you Dave. That's fantastic news! :)
No disrespect here, but I myself have no interest in limiting the weekends.
S days are sacred for me. They aren't even gorgefests anymore and tend to be like N days but with a few treats. Also, forgive my wondering about this, but I don't really understand why one would want to try and go without food for 14 hours either.
I will say though, that years ago, I did do lo carb in combination with some daily exercise. The same as you, I had pretty good results. But it came back on years later when I got bored of eating that way, so it's not realistic for me in the long run. I was thinking about this the other day actually, and when I stopped and thought, "maybe I'll try cutting down on cheese and breads" within a moment I heard myself answer.. Nah not gonna..
So I guess I will take a few years to lose my weight, but that's okay.
Anyway, continued good luck to you and congrats on your Caveman progress! :)

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Davestarbuck,

I think if you have found a NO S "flavor" that is working for you GO FOR IT! I also limit my wheat to S days ... other then sprouted wheat products ... too much non sprouted wheat leaves my insides gooey and my mind spacey ... with the concept of No S and S days this gives me the freedom for indulgence in a food that is probably not best for my body but I don't have to cut it out completely.

What I think is interesting about your post is that you are finding oatmeal, pbjs to be "treaty" on the weekend. BTW the type O blood type are meat eaters ... like you my husband is type O and thrives on "paleo" type diet with more Starch on the weekends, I am a non-secretor type A that thrives on fish and turkey, who knew? and am not so great on grains as regular As....

I know I know ... people poopoo blood type diet ALL THE TIME ... but you know what they say about contempt prior to investigation ... best to give it a try or just ignore it, getting my secretor results and altering my diet accordingly has been huge, about 20% of the population are non-secretors and our digestive systems are more fragile ... thus my "picky eater" makes loads of sense ...

the beauty of NO S is we can eat whatever we want and NOT EAT whatever we don't want to ... to me that's win-win for everyone! YOOHOO!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

larisa0001

Post by larisa0001 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:44 am

This is kinda what I'm doing as well - I've mostly cut out bread on N-days, as well as any other baked goods. It's worked well for me - I've already lost some weight, and also noticed that my skin looks a lot better now. I've never had good skin, so this is a pleasant discovery to make, and very motivating.

john

Post by john » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Two questions:
1. What is this "Cave Man Diet"? If it was described in detail in an earlier entry I did not see it.

2. I am attempting to go through all 54 pages, but one or two at a sitting. How do I jump ahead to the next unread page directly without starting at page 1 each evening?

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:13 am

Like the others, if it is working for *you* and you are thriving and enjoying your meals, keep on going.

Interestingly enough, two years ago we were in the States for several months (we minister in Eastern Europe) and stayed with a wonderful lady who was doing a low-carb diet at the time.

After being with her a month, I needed to have some blood work done for insurance purposes and it is the ONLY time EVER that I was flagged for high cholesterol. (Even so, my ratio of good/bad was excellent). Here in Eastern Europe, we eat starch with almost every meal and since returning, I had to have follow-up blood work and my cholesterol levels are back to excellent.

So, my personal experience is that *I* thrive on goodly amount of grains, wheat, etc.

My father-in-law, however, who is in excellent shape (runs daily, not overweight, etc) was flagged for high cholesterol and tried eating less meat, etc., but the levels got worse for him. His doctor suggested limiting grains and carbs in general for three months to see what happened. My father-in-law did, all the while secretly hoping it would make no difference because he loves bread and pasta and croutons. After the three month trial, his cholesterol levels were *normal.*

So, the diet that increased my cholesterol lowered his. This just goes to prove (yet again) that we are all individuals and while we can follow the same general principles (No S rules), the details can and should be left up to us.

Best wishes for continued success,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 am

john wrote:Two questions:
1. What is this "Cave Man Diet"? If it was described in detail in an earlier entry I did not see it.
Here's the simple explanation: "Most researchers agree that our ancient diet almost certainly consisted of lean animal protein, fish and seafoods, vegetables, fruits, eggs, nuts, berries and some roots. It did not include (at least until 10,000 years ago) grains, legumes or animal milk. And, it most certainly did not include large amounts of added sugars. "

It's also called the Paleo, Stone Age, or hunter-gatherer diet. I don't follow it exactly, but eat closer to that than heavy on the grains, legumes and dairy. I feel better when I eat that way. By the way, I'm also a Blood Type O.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 am

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Good for you Dave. That's fantastic news! :)
S days are sacred for me. They aren't even gorgefests anymore and tend to be like N days but with a few treats. Also, forgive my wondering about this, but I don't really understand why one would want to try and go without food for 14 hours either.
I will say though, that years ago, I did do lo carb in combination with some daily exercise. The same as you, I had pretty good results. But it came back on years later when I got bored of eating that way, so it's not realistic for me in the long run. I was thinking about this the other day actually, and when I stopped and thought, "maybe I'll try cutting down on cheese and breads" within a moment I heard myself answer.. Nah not gonna..

8) Debs
I have to agree with you on this, Deb. I'm happy for those who are doing what works for them, but I know that any kind of limitation on the type of food I eat will seem too much like that dreaded four letter word to me: DIET. I'd lose but end up regaining (been there, done that---several times).

Good for you, though, Dave! I'm happy about your success.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:09 pm

vmelo wrote:
gratefuldeb67 wrote:Good for you Dave. That's fantastic news! :)

8) Debs
I have to agree with you on this, Deb. I'm happy for those who are doing what works for them, but I know that any kind of limitation on the type of food I eat will seem too much like that dreaded four letter word to me: DIET. I'd lose but end up regaining (been there, done that---several times).

Good for you, though, Dave! I'm happy about your success.
While the idea for how I eat came from a few paragraphs I read describing how one man ate, most of it evolved naturally rather than being some DIET I attempted to follow. My knowledge of the Caveman diet or the Blood Type Diet came after I was already eating much this way. Though I could adapt my diet more, I'm not going to do that.

I think the key phrase is "what works for you" and realizing that the same things don't work for all of us in terms of likes/dislikes or health.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:43 pm

My own feeling, for my own diet, is that the great glories of world cuisine were not created by or for cave people, and enjoying them is one of the myriad benefits of civilization. So I'm going to continue to eat pasta, bread, spanokopita and such, in moderation. I like grains, and seem to feel fine when I eat them.