After 4 years, I'm back!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Brian Delaney

After 4 years, I'm back!

Post by Brian Delaney » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Everyone

I came across this website over 5 years ago, way back in 2003, and followed the no-s diet for quite a long time. I reached my ideal weight and kept it there for ages.

But unfortunately after a few years I gradually forgot about my no-s rules, got a bit arrogant, removed the fences around the law, became lax in my moderation, and let my discipline slide.

Now I find myself back where I was 5 years ago, eating whole packs of biscuits as an everyday snack, squeezing into size 36 jeans and having somewhere around 50lbs excess flesh. Sigh…Wimper....

So anyway, as of today, I’m back on the rails! I’m not expecting rapid progress, but I am expecting it to be steady. I’m a bit nervous, I don’t want to let myself down again.

I see there’s a book!! Well done Reinhard, I hope it’s selling like hotcakes.

Brian Delaney

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Welcome back!
I've been nosing for nearly 2 years- with a few times of me doing just as you did, but I always come back to it :)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

la_loser

Wow--welcome back!

Post by la_loser » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Brian,

Wow--welcome back; hearing that you had such success the first time around is truly inspiring for the rest of us. It's affirming that although you lost what you wanted once upon a time, that now that you need a repeat performance you have determined that this is your best bet. That speaks so well of Reinhard's philosophy.

The book is awesome--it's the same info that's on the website, but it fleshes out (pardon the pun) a lot of concepts. Don't know if you can find it on a bookshelf in Japan or Ireland, but maybe try Amazon??

Sounds like you're in pretty exotic territory--with plenty of tempting "S"es, I'm sure.

So welcome back--you can probably give some tips to the rest of us.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:50 pm

Welcome back, pioneer!.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:41 pm

Brian,

It's great to see you again here!

I remember you well -- in fact, I think your story made it to the testimonials page (and the book!).

I'm sorry to hear you had a falling off... but I'm confident that since you've experienced how well and painlessly it works, that you'll have no trouble re-instituting no-s and replicating your previous success -- for good this time.

It's interesting that there *is* a long term compliance issue with no-s: complacency. This is very different from the problem posed by other diets (sheer misery) but it's still real. I think there's the temptation to think, "well, I'm cured now. I weigh what I should and eat like a normal person. What do I need rules for anymore?" It makes a lot of sense to think like this. But the problem is that the social and environmental structures that used to support "normal" moderate eating don't exist anymore (quite the contrary) so without rules, slowly but surely, you'll be pushed into immoderate eating again.

The good news is that if you're sufficiently alert to this danger, the rules of no-s are so humane and unobtrusive and positively pleasure enhancing, that it's really no burden to keep on doing them indefinitely -- especially once you've cleared the initial hump of habit building.

According to my publisher the book is selling "not hugely, but steadily" -- well enough that there have actually been murmurs of interest in a second (everyday systems) book. So while I'm not going to be able to retire on it any time soon, as far as authorial vanity is concerned (and the feeling that I'm actually helping some people) it's going pretty great.

How's Japan? Morning Banana diet still going strong there? It's similar enough to No-s that I keep hoping I might be able to catch onto its coat tails there.

Reinhard

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 pm

When possible, I look forward to your thoughts these past few years in regards to nos.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

Brian Delaney

Post by Brian Delaney » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:15 am

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the lovely warm welcome, this feels like a nice community here.

Yes Reinhard, you’re right that modern life does not support healthy eating. And I think that the eating habits we pick up in our family of origin are very difficult to dispel, it needs a small bit of constant attention and awareness to keep the new habit even after its well ingrained, which unfortunately I let slip. It’s a little bit like establishing a garden, if you don’t keep tending to it regularly, after a few years it goes wild again.

The book is with Penguin, nice one! Maybe it’ll be published again as a Penguin Classic 50 years from now. I’m ordering from Amazon.co.jp.

There was a big banana shortage here during the summer. It started very suddenly, but seems to be cooling down now. I love bananas and so does my 18-month old son, so we really noticed it. Japanese people are very slim compared to the Irish or Americans, although their eating habits are becoming more and more westernized.

No-S is a great system. The only tip I have is don’t be obsessed about it and just stick with the rules, but within those rules be generous to yourself, have nice big healthy portions and don’t skimp on the butter or the dressing! At least that’s the way I handled it before, it worked out well, I didn’t feel deprived in any way, and it’s my plan for the future.

Brian

Brian Delaney

Post by Brian Delaney » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:49 am

Just came across this article today which backs up what you are saying Reinhard:

The obesity epidemic is at once complex yet extraordinarily simple. Obese people are, in essence, behaving normally in a sick social environment. Or as the British Medical Journal put it: "The driving force for the increasing prevalence of obesity in populations is the increasingly obesogenic environment rather than any 'pathology' in individuals."
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 81971.html

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:31 am

Brian,

Thanks for the word of warning about not slacking off once you lose the weight. I think that the general focus with dieting is on losing the weight and then you're set!

I've tried so many diets that I'm a walking encyclopedia of information. I'm also obese and have a 14 year old daughter who is getting there. She's observed me with my different attempts and decided she'll follow this program as well.

It is about the environment, and what I see is there is an environment of snacking. I am one of the parent volunteers who leads a reading group in my 4th grader's class. She's 9. She has snack at school. Nine? I had snacks in kindergarten and that was it.

As part of my looking at obesity, I did research on Web sites for the hungry. There is a drama to the stories -- "Hunger is a terrible, terrible thing." Heck, here in America, most people who go to food shelves are obese! We've been taught to try to listen to every little stomach noise and consider it to be agony if we experience the least bit of hunger.

Am I ever glad I'm not going down that path! I have a lot to lose, so it will probably be three or more years before I am on weight maintenance, but you've given me a heads-up that this needs to be a lifelong commitment and not just a commitment until I lose the weight.

Kathleen

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks for the link, Brain.

I've never (consciously) seen the term "obesogenic environment" before.

But I'll have to slip that in somewhere... nothing like scientific terminology to make the obvious compelling :-)

Reinhard

Brian Delaney

Post by Brian Delaney » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:22 pm

reinhard wrote:Thanks for the link, Brain.

I've never (consciously) seen the term "obesogenic environment" before.

But I'll have to slip that in somewhere... nothing like scientific terminology to make the obvious compelling :-)

Reinhard
It will make you sound very smart!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:14 am

Brian,
I have to tell you that I've spent a lot of time blogging about this diet, and I've felt unsettled about something but haven't been able to figure out what. This thread helped me to figure out that I've been planning for the day when I could stop no s-ing. Now I realize that I need to think about this diet as a way of life for the rest of my life. Thanks so much for coming on the board!
Kathleen