Hi... I'm back

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Hi... I'm back

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:10 am

Hi guys.

I had a real rough summer, what with losing a friend in an accident and a vicious case of writer's block (as a freelancer writer, I can tell you right now that will screw with the income something fierce).

I wish I could say my good habits and structure stuck.

They didn't. I've gained a lot of weight.

I know it's probably goofy to try to go back into NoSing during the holidays, but screw it, I'm doing it anyway. I'm gonna be honest. I feel like the world's most undisciplined jackass here, even though I know damn well none of you guys are gonna give me a hard time. I mean, what the devil is so hard about eating three damn meals a day? I don't have to starve myself, just eat three plates of food a day and leave it alone.

Today was green for eating and glass ceiling... Oh wait... That's a habit that DID stick and I didn't even think about it. Since I had been drinking too much in the past, I guess it's not a total loss, huh?

Anyway, hi. I hope that a lot of you did really well with your own habits while I was gone.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:55 am

HI Noel,
welcome back - so nice to have you back on the board. I'm having a bit of a hard time staying on track at the moment, but I'm determined to hang in here. I dont' want to gain everything back!
Anyway, great to see you.
funfuture (Wim)
x

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:42 am

Heya! I was wondering about you, I'm sorry you had such hard times this year.
You ask what's so ahrd about three meals a day and I'll say that it's a matter of long practised habits; I stayed on NoS and just today my mind was going "come one, it's JUST a piece of chocolate, what's the worst that can happen?", that old voice back at it again.
Don't feel alone, it's a tough thing!.
Welcome back.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:47 pm

Noel, I'm so glad to see you! I missed you when you left, and hoped you were doing well. (I always wonder when people suddenly stop posting, especially people I notice and like...)

Welcome back. :)

If the glass ceiling stuck through a difficult time, then you did well. That's a big one. :) Give yourself credit. (One of my dearest friends always advises the rest of us to "celebrate accomplishments." I'm passing that on to you. Sometimes I think survival is an accomplishment.)

Best,

KCCC

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi Noel,
It's good to see you.
and I wish you No S success through the Holiday season.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Welcome back - I remember you from when I first joined. Since then, I've gone off and on habit myself, but seem to learn something each time, so...there's that. :)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:15 pm

Noel, sounds like you've had some rough months. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. A tragedy can really knock you back on your heels. But it sounds like you are ready to stand up, brush yourself off and resume the march. Personally, I think the holidays are the perfect time to resume No S. I can't think of a better time of year that needs a sane framework.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:31 am

I to had missed your posts. So glad you're back. I am sorry for your lost. Where in our culture is there a sense of 3 square meals a day and that the meals should be special?

Someone posted here that the biggest fear in our society is food. I have been watching women and their eating patterns and it is so mixed up.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Welcome back, Noel!

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Diet is pretty trivial compared to something like that.

The holidays can actually a good time to start -- you might not make dramatic progress, but you'll be dramatically limiting the damage. Also, to paraphraze Liza Minelli "if you can make it then, you'll make it any when..."

That "Glass ceiling" stuck is definitely not nothing.

As for getting back on track, I'd say be religious about using the habitcal -- *especially* if there's some red to report. Don't beat yourself up about past mistakes. If you want to be tough, direct that toughness towards the future, towards present compliance. Being tough on your past self (which can't fight back) is just bullying.

Reinhard

mjn

Post by mjn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:49 pm

Glad you are back. You always have great insight into things. I always enjoyed your posts.