Can I apply a Glass Ceiling rule to this?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

burlsgirl

Can I apply a Glass Ceiling rule to this?

Post by burlsgirl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Um, er, ah...I guess it would actually be a 60% Cocoa ceiling.

See, 90% of my temptation comes at night, when the kids go to bed and hubby and I sit down for my nightly fix of NCIS. It's always been the time of day I feel like snacking.

When I finally decided I needed to control this, I started buying big bars of 60% dark chocolate, the kind that you can break into individual squares that are 60 calories each. I break off one square, and take tiny bites, making it last for about 10 minutes. Then I'm fine.

I relate it to glass ceiling, because it's kind of like my nightly glass of wine. Except that my limit is one piece, not two.

What do y'all think?

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:00 pm

I think it's residual "old way" overthinking food choices; tiny bits, one piece, 60 calories, "healthy" food (dark cocoa), it's not that much, it's my treat...

And so on.

Quite frankly, none of that matters because it's a snack and therefore, technically, not allowed.

No S says what you eat isn't as important as how you eat. Eventually, the what usually sorts itself out and I've found (and I think other have too) that getting a handle on what is easier than how.

Your evening nibble is a habit and can be replaced with a better habit.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:29 pm

Personally? That wouldn't be a gray area for me even if chose not to drink at all. It's chocolate. It's a sweet. It's not with a meal. It's a snack.

Yeah, I like my hot toddy and all, but if you're gonna make it an equivalent, it needs to be liquid. If you don't drink alcohol, a cup of hot cider with cinnamon, maybe? A mug of tea? Sparkling water with 100% fruit juice added? A mug of hot milk with spices?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

burlsgirl

Post by burlsgirl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:56 pm

Hmm...some interesting points. I'll think on it a bit.

For what it's worth, I don't get the 60% b/c it's supposedly healthy, it's just what I prefer. Same with tiny bites and making it last. I do that because it's how it's best. Why bother with a piece of really good chocolate if just scarfing it down? And I guess it is technically a snack, although far less of a snack FOR ME, than a glass of milk, in terms of how I feel physically afterwards.

I guess it's probably just one of those things I'm probably not going to give up, if I'm being honest. It does keep me from binges at night, which in the past were a huge problem for me.

I didn't have any Monday night because I just didn't want it. Last night, I could feel myself starting to get "hungry", so I did eat a piece.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I was just hoping to have myself affirmed, but in the end, I think I'll take my chances with the square of chocolate a few nights a week...

Maybe noesing will relieve me of the need in time. Who knows?

Have a great day!
Em

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:58 pm

If you really have only one square I would say it's not too bad :wink:
(note this message is not approved by the NoS board hahah )
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Personally, I don't like the liquids, juice or milk, in between meals to stave off hunger. I don't think either of them are the best choices.

I'm going to say -- do what works for you.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:28 pm

It's certainly not orthodox no-s, but you're welcome to combine elements of the different systems to create your own.

I would, of course, recommend saving the chocolate for the weekend. I love the stuff too, and am fully aware of it's miraculous health benefits, but if I ate every food that had miraculous health benefits every day I'd be a blimp (or maybe a giant blueberry, like Veruca Salt). :-)

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:26 pm

That was Violet Reinhard :)
Veruca was the spoiled brat who went down the garbage shoot after insisting her father get her a golden goose, and then the scale said she was a "bad egg" LOL..
But very good example!
Burlsgirl, don't listen to my advice before. I'm turning into Violet these days.
Follow the real rules. :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:56 am

Do what you can do for now.

I had to phase in the rules - thought I would DIE without my 4PM snack. So first I cut out everything else, then I started with that. Now, it's not even a second thought.

Technically, your chocolate is against "the rules." But if you feel that it's minimal and not interfering with overall habit establishment, let it go for now. Focus on the "big stuff" (whatever that is for you).

At some point, you may want to reconsider. Or not. But right now, it sounds as if you really want to hold onto this, and it would be a major sticking point for you. Don't let a little thing trip you up (but be wary about "spread" of that little thing, if that makes any sense).

I'd suggest going with it for now, and reconsidering in about a month. At that point, you can see how general compliance is going, how it's working for you, etc. More information to make another decisions, whichever way it goes.

Just my .02 - take what you can use and let the rest go. :)

burlsgirl

Post by burlsgirl » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks, KCCC.

Right now, I'm keeping it, as it's a safeguard for me against night-time binges, which used to be a major problem for me. Where I used to grab a handful of M&M's, which led to at least two or three MORE handfuls, then a bag of chips to offset the sweet... that little piece of dark chocolate doesn't "set me off". It satisfies the beast, so to speak!

It's also not something I have to have every night, like clockwork. Sometimes I just have a cup of decaf coffee or tea. But it's there in case I convince myself I'm "hungry" :roll:

Actually, right now it's the least of my worries. I'm coming up on my first weekend, and I have a tendency to way overdo it...

Thanks for all the advice and support.
Em

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:43 pm

That was Violet Reinhard
Veruca was the spoiled brat who went down the garbage shoot after insisting her father get her a golden goose, and then the scale said she was a "bad egg" LOL..
Thanks for catching that, Deb! God knows I've seen (1971 version only, please) and read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory enough recently to know the difference... (my 4 year old's a big fan)

Good luck with your modded/phased No-s, burlsgirl!

Reinhard