Sold my diet books today

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bizzybee

Sold my diet books today

Post by bizzybee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Today I de-cluttered.

I have a cabinet under my nightstand and it holds my Diet books. I don't like to have them out because they are embarrassing. They all represent failures, things I tried and could not be successful with. Yet, I held onto them for years, the 3 Hour diet, the No-Grain diet, the South Beach Diet, the 3 Day Diet, the Atkins Revolution, the Beck Diet, The Blood type Diet. All shoved into a dark cabinet along with Weight Watchers materials from 4 distinct attempts. It represents a lot of money and time and frustration. It's also an anchor, one that I was not ready to cast off... until now.

What I knew but had not accepted yet was that these were not my failures, these diets were flawed, I was set up to fail somewhere along the way. I simply could not live my life excluding entire groups of food or counting all day long or seeing foods as "Bad" or "Good". I made a good go of it , almost 6 months on South Beach, several good lengths of time with the WW Core plan. I learned things from all of them.

As I put them all in a BIG box, I just shook my head, I've been doing this for 8 years now, since my second child was born and I am 20 pounds heavier than I was then, for all the frustration and tasteless unsatisfying food I've eaten, where am I? Worse off than before.

Today I carried them to used book store and ended up with 75.00 in credit, I bought a beautiful cookbook, Monet's Table, and few books for the kids and I still have plenty of credit left for more.

My cabinet of shame is empty. My No S diet book is on a shelf. I feel no embarrassment talking about it or describing this common sense way of eating. I feel such peace, no head-games, no question of willpower, I'm disallowed for snacks, its a Wednesday. That is all. If I stay 235 pounds for the rest of my life but can feel sane and not be in a constant state of self-immolation. Well then I'll be a happy girl with some great cookbooks.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:04 pm

What a great day! Congratulations on your new life of no guilt and sanity!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Congratulations! :) What a real weight off of you :)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 pm

That sounds like such a healthy decision, in all KINDS of ways!

Congrats!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:50 pm

That's a great post. Very inspirational.

Pattycan

Post by Pattycan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:44 pm

You just read my diary. I have "every" diet book under the sun and now feel like I have been let out of dieting hell.

I agree that if I also stayed the same, I would still have my life back for I am no longer stressing about counting points, calories or journalizing every morsel that goes into my mouth.

The weight loss is just a plus with this way of eating. :)
If you think you can't....your right!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:42 am

I also had an extensive "diet library". I sold them all on amazon books and made a nice chunk of change!

No S is my only book too. I'm done with being a hobby dieter.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Consu

Post by Consu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:19 am

My cabinet of shame is empty. My No S diet book is on a shelf. I feel no embarrassment talking about it or describing this common sense way of eating. I feel such peace, no head-games, no question of willpower, I'm disallowed for snacks, its a Wednesday. That is all. If I stay 235 pounds for the rest of my life but can feel sane and not be in a constant state of self-immolation. Well then I'll be a happy girl with some great cookbooks.

This paragraph, especially, brought a tear to my eye, Bizzybee. It's filled with much wisdom and is no less than lovely.

A friend told me about No S about 2 weeks ago, and I tossed aside WW to try it. Your whole post resonates with me (I finally realized I'm not the problem; WW just doesn't work for me anymore, and I'm really tired of counting points all day long). Even if I maintain at this weight, No S's common sense approach has helped me feel in control and take care of me, while also making the weekends extra special. After almost 2 years of feeling frustrated with my weight, I know what you mean by feeling sane. Since I've been on No S, I feel like I'm free from dieting & free to really take care of myself.

Hope some wonderful cookbooks come your way!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:45 pm

BizzyBee,

Congratulations!

It's a funny image, that wee little No S Diet book clearing out a whole shelf of big bruisers. If what you're doing becomes a trend I'm going to have to start looking over my shoulder for hit men from the Diet Industrial Complex :-)

Patty, I thought this was a great observation:
The weight loss is just a plus with this way of eating.
Reinhard