How about storm days?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

paulawylma

How about storm days?

Post by paulawylma » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:13 am

Are storm days special days? I'm talking about the big wind/snow/whatever storms that block roads or take out power and such. I haven't had one of these this year yet, but last year we had a 12 to 14 inch snowfall that pretty much blocked me in . I had to go outside evey couple of hours while the snow was falling to move the snow away from my front door--I don't have a porch or steps, my doors out onto a patio that is the same level as the driveway.

So anyway, if you are stuck at home because of a weather emergency is that an "S" Day?

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:24 am

I would say not, but your mileage may vary. What's the difference between that and choosing to stay in all day, and would you give S-status to the latter?
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

wosnes

Re: How about storm days?

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:03 pm

paulawylma wrote:Are storm days special days? I'm talking about the big wind/snow/whatever storms that block roads or take out power and such. I haven't had one of these this year yet, but last year we had a 12 to 14 inch snowfall that pretty much blocked me in . I had to go outside evey couple of hours while the snow was falling to move the snow away from my front door--I don't have a porch or steps, my doors out onto a patio that is the same level as the driveway.

So anyway, if you are stuck at home because of a weather emergency is that an "S" Day?
I love storm days! I'd not thought about it, but they've always been S days because I would bake cookies or make bread or rice pudding and thoroughly enjoy the unexpected day at home.

You have two differing opinions -- do what seems right to you.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:19 pm

To add to my earlier post, I'd avoid making it an S-day because it's not a matter of choice. The only S-days over which you have no control are sick days, and your body will largely dictate what you'll eat during those anyway.

Assigning power to the weather removes control from you and gives an excuse; you ate because you were stuck at home with nothing to do. That seems to me to be rather at odds with the general theme of taking responsibility for yourself and perilously close to those excuses mentioned on the main No-S page.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Phyllis

Post by Phyllis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:07 pm

I have to tell you I thought about storm days and would probably make it an NWSday. I live in a part of the country where we rarely get significant snow and when we do it is really special, everyone runs to the grocery, the kids are out of school, most folks don't go to work, it's alot of fun.

Now on the other hand, I do live in an area that gets lots of tornadoes and they are not any fun and most of the time watching the radar to see if it is time to head to the basement I personally am to sick at my stomach to eat.

Anyway it is really about conscious choice. Does Vanilla NoS allow for this variation, the answer is clearly no. I love NoS so much, I actually like the structure of Ndays better than Sdays that if I was going to take a "storm day" and make it an Sday I would probably make a real Sday an N, if that makes any sense.

I think NoS is so appealing because it allows us to take responsibility for our choices, so ulitimately it allows for the flexibility if you want to S on a Nday do so consciously.
Tell all men that peace is good that's all that need be understood. Theadore Geisel

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:55 am

Having lived in the EAst and now live in Texas I must say I would definitely take them as NSW. The family has the best memories of cookies, hot cocoa, movies, fireplaces, snowmen, sledding, etc...

I liked shoveling, DH not so much. So for us there was extra exercise as well. Like when the basement floods and need to pump it out. Some memories aren't as fun as others:-)
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Having lived in TN, I too understand the sick feeling of knowing a tornado is possible! UGH...I was terrified of those!!!

And as for snow....we get about 150" a year so I certainly can't declare an "S" day when we get snow...but I can also understand how fun a snow day could be when it's not a typical situation. I think either way you choose, it'll all be good! If you only have one or two snow days a year, then I'd say bake cookies, drink chocolate milk, make memories and enjoy them!

But please....PLEASE don't send any more snow our way....we've already had over 120"....it's about 119" too much IMO.

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...