Giving blood and S days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Does giving blood justify an S day?

Yes
47%
No
16%
Perhaps a partial day?
37%

Total votes: 19

wrigleyj

Giving blood and S days

Post by wrigleyj » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 am

This is only my 3rd week of No S (21 days on Sunday, see) and I haven't used any Special days yet but I find myself pondering a kind of N+S day on monday.

I am planning to give blood on monday, and the time is kind of awkward. I won't have time to eat my evening meal before I do it, but by the time I get back it will be a much later meal than normal.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'll allow myself an extra "something" before I go give blood and then just have a normal evening meal when I get back.

So I don't know that I'll change my mind, but I figured I could throw this up for discussion as it's kind of interesting.

Joe
It's Hammer time!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 am

I would suggest something small, like half a peanut butter sandwich with a small glass of milk and then a smaller dinner.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:38 am

I'm not sure giving blood is the time to stint as you may feel dizzy or lightheaded and need something. On the flip side, I guess you could plan ahead and bring some orange juice which is technically permissible and should do the trick! My inclination would be to plan for an S day, and if you don't need it to be, then great!

BrightAngel

Re: Giving blood and S days

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 pm

wrigleyj wrote:I figured I could throw this up for discussion as it's kind of interesting.

Joe
Since there is the opportunity to drink juice between meals, if necessary,
I don't see how an "S" day would be necessary.

For the Record, I voted "No",
but when the poll results came up,
it showed zero "no" votes.
I'm not sure what is going on there.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

la_loser

Everyone reacts differently!

Post by la_loser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:53 pm

I think everyone will have to decide for themselves on this one because our bodies have different reactions. When I have given blood in the past, I've felt very faint and needed not only the juice and a snack, I had to take it easy the rest of the day. (I'm a wimp!) But when my husband and a number of other friends do so, they're good to keep going strong all day with just a little juice. I've had friends that are really woozy and weak yet they continue to donate on a regular basis.

If you do have to have a little extra, just count it as an NWS day and as Vicki has said before (and KCCC quotes all the time!)--just mark it (as a NWS) and move on.

Also, determining to "not be an IDIOT" on any S day should help you make it through the day.

It definitely shouldn't be marked a RED day--seriously, if donating blood to help others SURVIVE, isn't SPECIAL, what is? And it's not like you can take advantage of it since you can only give at regular intervals 90 days, I think?

And BA, when I clicked on the survey results, it showed two "no" votes--so your vote is showing up now.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:00 pm

I don't want to be responsible EITHER for creating a blood shortage OR for causing selfless (but strict) no-essers to faint. Make it an S-day! (or at least an S-Event, with whatever fortification you think you need before and after).

Reinhard

P.S. Juice is definitely not a problem.

P.P.S If they give you a cracker after, consider it "medicine"

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:41 pm

I don't think it's necessary to make it an S day. The icky feelings associated with blood donation have more to do with volume depletion which can cause a drop in blood pressure. If you want to give yourself something "extra", consider drinking more water, salty broth or a bowl of brothy soup, or even tomato juice or V8 Don't overdo it, though. You might want to try a cup before donating and another cup or two afterwards.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

15n@50

Post by 15n@50 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:53 am

I give platelets, and do it every couple of weeks. I've been doing it on Mondays and swapping - making Sunday an N day for NoS and Monday an S day. I do a similar thing with shovelglove. I don't want to swing the hammer the day after I give blood so I swap Sunday for Tuesday for shovelglove. Sounds a little complicated but in practice it is not that bad.

Having said that, if I wasn't at the beginning of my habit and really wanting to wear a deep groove - I really wouldn't worry about another occasional S day. So I voted YES even though I don't personally take an extra S day for giving blood.
Resistance can be beaten. If Resistance couldn't be beaten, there would be no Fifth Symphony, no Romeo and Juliet, no Golden Gate Bridge. - Steven Presssfield

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:41 pm

I chose "partial" - I will usually sit down after and drink juice and perhaps even have a cracker or cookie or something, depending on how I feel.

I don't feel giving blood is an excuse for a full, potentially idiotic, S-day. However, a bit extra because of the circumstances is reasonable.

This IS a case where "your mileage will vary" though - giving blood is not a major deal for me.

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:29 am

I would consider it an S event. I'd definitely eat the cookies. I'd opt for water (regardless of no s, always water). But I wouldn't use giving blood as an excuse for eating a pint of ben and jerry's after dinner.
Carrie

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Don't know about it being an S day, but make sure you do not give blood on an empty stomach, I used to work in a hospital lab and cannot tell you how many people passed out from giving blood on an empty stomach. I cannot give blood, had hepatitis as a child, so I am a permanent reject, but God bless you for giving blood, it is always badly needed.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

wrigleyj

Post by wrigleyj » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:35 am

I usually don't worry, and just eat many biscuits (cookies to USians) and drink plenty afterwards. I was just curious what other people think.

I had given blood a couple of times and then I got 2nd hand confirmation that it's important when my grandmother was given 4 units over christmas a couple of years ago and it made such a huge, tangible difference to her almost over night. I'm now at least happy that I've repaid that "debt" for the family, and I'm blessed with very useful (pretty much universally accepted) 0+ blood type so I figure I should do what I can. There's no payment for blood in the UK. Unfortunately, this time I realised I couldn't donate because I've had a piercing in the last 6 months so I have to wait until April.

I've you've never considered donating, please give it a minute's consideration because it's really not a big sacrifice, but it can make a huge difference to somebody who needs it.

Sorry if I'm a little incoherent. My S day today has involved Cider :-)

Joe
It's Hammer time!