Hi - new here.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MysteryLover

Hi - new here.

Post by MysteryLover » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Gina and I just started this weekend. I thought it would be best to ease myself into this on S days. My background: I'm 5'1" and 150 lbs. I'm at my best when I stay under 130. A few years back I lost it ALL on WW's. Even became a Lifetime member. But one morning I woke up, and just couldn't do the counting/restricting foods thing anymore. I just didn't want to live my life that way. Anyhow, I put it ALL back on - and fast! I've always kind of knew that it wasn't my breakfast, lunch, and dinner that was packing on the pounds. I'm a BIG snacker! My typical day over the past year included my eating 'diet' foods for my meals and then sneaking in candy, icecream, chips, etc. all day long (and I mean ALL DAY LONG). So this plan makes absolute sense to me. I can eat 'real' food, no restrictions, no counting, no journaling. No more worrying about if the restaurant put butter on the veggies. And I still get my snacks in moderation on my S days.

Anyway, this is my second N day. Loving it! I did pretty well yesterday. Managed to make it almost all day with no snacks. I was starving at one point and had a piece of cheese. Other than that, I sipped on some ice water with a squeeze of orange, or green tea between meals. I think today I will try to pace my meals a little better.

The funny thing is, I considered myself addicted (completely) to sweets and chocolate. Thought I'd never be able to live one day without them. Amazingly, I never even gave them a thought. I think what I was really addicted to was the need to eat 'good-tasting' foods. Before, I was eating weird diet concoctions and then craving junk to make up for it.

Oh well, I'm rambling. Nice to meet you all!
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

la_loser

Welcome to No S!

Post by la_loser » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Gina,

Glad to have you with us. It sounds like No S could be just the kind of structure that you need to get you on track. And you have it right that the counting and restriction of other plans is simply not sustainable for most of us. As you have a chance to peruse old posts, you will see that those kinds of eating plans have been nicknamed SAD ones. . . or S. A. D. -- for substance accounting diets. . . and as one member said-no wonder she didn't like them-they make her SAD!

You'll find this a very positive and supportive group and someone is always ready to pop in and answer questions that newbies have, etc.

Welcome!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Welcome, Gina!
I was starving at one point and had a piece of cheese. Other than that, I sipped on some ice water with a squeeze of orange, or green tea between meals. I think today I will try to pace my meals a little better.
Stay on habit and your appetite will adjust.... you'll no longer get so hungry. In the meantime, drinks (even caloric drinks like milk or 100% fruit juice) can be a great, 100% legitimate help.

Reinhard

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome. SAD. I like that. Especially considering how miserable I was every evening trying to map out what I was going to eat the next day.

Thanks, too, for the suggestion of drinking milk or juice. I will keep that in mind in case I get really hungry again this evening.

I have ordered the No S book and will get it in on Thursday. In the meantime, I appreciate any suggestions & I'll continue to catch up on back messages here on this board.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Hello !

To fight cravings, try eating a few unsalted peanuts (A small handful, not the whole bag !) and drinking a tall glass of water. Works well for me.

The peanuts are good and you get the ones without salt, they are not very expensive either, a bag lasts a long time when you only have a couple of small handfuls daily.

Also, 20-25 minutes before meals, I drink 2-3 tall glasses of water, this way I don't feel as hungry when it's time to sit down for dinner.

Marc ;-)

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi Gina,

I am new too. I wish you the best of luck!

I have one piece of information for you. I am also hungry alot and like Reinhard says that's good and we should be. I agree with him. To keep myself from snacking and overeating when it comes to meal time I drink a Special K protein drink. I fills you up, gives you protein and doesn't have tons of sugar. Oh it tastes pretty good too.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the hunger-busting ideas. Good luck to you, too, Caroleann. I was actually wondering about the Special K water. I might go pick some up later today. My day is very long and busy too, so I am going to plan on an evening cup of whole milk. That way I can pace out my eating better too. I had another very hungry day yesterday, but I was very active. Today I'm back to sitting at my desk so it's easier.

la_loser

Another legal option for tiding you over. . .H2Orange

Post by la_loser » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:58 pm

I just brought one of my old topics to the top of the boards again in an effort to address some recent questions. . . regarding a great little beverage to tide us over from meal to meal. . . in addition to the ideas about juice and milk. . .
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 5089#55089
A number of people seem to have adopted it with success.

Regarding the nuts suggestion--I would be very careful about doing that as a tide me over solution. I was on a plan for a while where they encouraged the use of a handful of peanuts as "hunger-savers" and I can tell you that it was the beginning a weight gain for me. The "permission" to grab a few peanuts here and there was too loose for me and who knows how many I ate. (kind of like Kathleen's peanut cluster diet thing!)

It's just that it's a slippery slope and if you're trying to really do No S, it just doesn't fit in the rules--it IS a SNACK. . . now if you've tried No S for a few months and find you need to make some mods, maybe that would work, but I'd be very careful.

I would never have believed that I could get from one meal to another without SOMETHING in between, but amazingly my body did adjust. . . back to habits that I lived with the first thirty or so years of life!

So it's certainly an option if you're not doing "vanilla" or "pure" No S. . . but give yourself some time to adjust. Make sure you're filling those plates at mealtime sufficiently so you won't "need" anything in between.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks LA Loser for reposting. I had read about H2Orange but it's nice to get the actual 'recipe' with the proportions. I was going to hold off on trying the nuts (I like them WAY too much). I am going to switch to whole milk and try the H2Orange or Special K protein mix. Both are fat free and relatively low calorie.

Going back over yesterday (besides being too busy), I realized that I didn't have any protein with my lunch. So today I had a peanut butter sandwich with a glass of milk and some fruit. I'm quickly realizing how important protein is.