New to No S'ing

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Cornfed

New to No S'ing

Post by Cornfed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:34 am

Hello, everyone. I somehow stumbled upon the No S diet book on Amazon a couple weeks ago, skimmed the web site, read some forum, bought the book, and started with this way of eating on Feb 18.

I'd lost a lot of weight maybe 8 or so years back following a low carb approach. Kept it off for, say, 4 years. Then have been slowly creeping back up the last 4 years. I'm still nowhere near the giant weight I started at, but I'm definitely pretty doughy.

But I'm really liking this diet so far. First, I have to say I really like the way Reinhard writes and explains the system. I actually have about 30 pages left to read in the book, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Second, I had some already good habits from over the years (medium breakfasts and lunches, consistent exercising, generally good during the week, no caloric beverages other than beer on weekends, and some others).

But I do strongly think that all the little snacking had caught up to me, and that part of this system is what's resonated with me the most.

I'm doing generally well with compliance with the following two caveats. First, some of my plates have been a little big. I just finished dinner where I had two small pork chops, some rice, and some veggies. But the veggies were one of those pre-packaged things in trays, and I didn't feel like transferring the contents to my plate. So my virtual plate did exceed the 1 plate rule, and while eating, I do think I became satisfied a bit before stopping. This has happened a few times the last few weeks, but I think I'm getting better.

Second, boy do I loves me my beer on weekends!! And I've also had some binge-like associated snacking the first two weekends. I read (and enjoyed) the chapter on this from the book and have read some of the discussion here. I'm trying not to worry about that too much, either, and am keeping the faith that my new good habits I'm developing will carry over to my S days.

Sorry for the huge post, but I thought I'd say hi, thanks to Reinhard for the system, book, web site, and forum, and thanks to all of you for this community of information. I look forward to participating (and dropping some pounds :)

Cornfed

Post by Cornfed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:06 am

Just to reply to myself, I'm tracking progress on a google spreadsheet for kicks. I actually like the habitcal idea a lot, and basically copied its simplicity since I'm a geek and want to make some simple charts and graphs. I'm counting days like today with borderline sized plates as green successes, but I'm putting notes whenever this happens explaining the situation so I can troubleshoot if my weight loss isn't where I want it to be down the road.

Just thought I'd share.

Too solid flesh

New to No S'ing

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:25 am

Welcome to NoS! We look forward to seeing you here.

amelie

Post by amelie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi, Cornfed -

Welcome! I'm new too (started 2/23/09) and so far I'm loving it. I'm most worried about the weekends and last weekend I did eat a lot but I'm trying not to worry about it.

The book is great and so is this site. I just wish I had known about No S earlier - at least before I dropped more $$ on WW Online. My days of being a full-time calorie accountant are so over.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Welcome Cornfed. I'm new here too. This is my first week on No S though. Your spreadsheet sounds great. It's nice to be able to look back and know if a failure was due to being sick or having some emergency pop up as opposed to just plain cheating. Amelie- ditto on the $$$ wasted. I think I could buy a small car with all the money I've spent on diet books, pill, WW meeting, diet food, etc.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0