Beer or Wine on a N-day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

CriticalMass

Beer or Wine on a N-day

Post by CriticalMass » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Can I have 1 guiness in the evening. Seems that would be just as much useless calories as eating some confection, or drinking a Soda.

Anybody have 2 cents on this

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Beer, useless calories?

Be careful how you speak of the life blood of the German people in my presense :-)

On the no-s home page (and in the book) I mention a sub-system called "Glass celing" that specifically addresses this issue:

http://nosdiet.com/#drinks

I discuss it in a bit more detail here:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/glassceiling/

And here:

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=8

(Sorry for the redundancy, I keep meaning to merge/update these last two but never quite get around to it)

Reinhard

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:12 pm

Actually bothered to look it up. A budweiser is about the same as a can of coke. Calorie wise. Although I would never drink that piss(Bud that is). Guinness has a little less, but there is quite a lot of calorie variation from brand to brand.

Point being it's not insignificant, and not much different than many possible snacks.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:51 am

Hi Critical Mass :)
My two cents while Reinhard is off getting some German Beer :wink:
It's not a calorie restricting diet we are on. It's a habit changing diet with some restrictions for N days.
Those don't include non sugary alcoholic beverages.
Yes, it's technically same calories as a soda, but so is, say, a slice of pizza.
This is only about restricting sweets, seconds and snacks..
Don't go nuts trying to take every pleasure away. That just isn't livable!
I would consider sticking to one per day, but even two would be "legal"...
And yeah, I hardly ever drink, but Guinness, that's good stuff!
Enjoy your weekend.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Well I somewhat disagree. I think it is a calorie restricting diet, just not directly. Its just about establishing good eating habits, which results in lower calorie intake as a byproduct.

Although, I think I understand the merit of a drink or two being allowed. It does have some benefits, where as cola has probably none. And having a beer is not likely to exacerbate a sweet-tooth.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:57 pm

CriticalMass wrote:Well I somewhat disagree. I think it is a calorie restricting diet, just not directly. Its just about establishing good eating habits, which results in lower calorie intake as a byproduct.

Although, I think I understand the merit of a drink or two being allowed. It does have some benefits, where as cola has probably none. And having a beer is not likely to exacerbate a sweet-tooth.
Well, yes, lower calorie intake does happen. But as you say, not directly. It's more about habit-building. And most people are likely to drink lots of cola or go on a cookie binge, but not so likely to drink tons of booze. (People who do have a different - and more serious - problem.)

Some of the S-rules ARE a bit arbitrary looked at small-scale (like, I can have OJ but not an orange, which flies in the face of all the nutrition-info I know). But in large-scale ("I am building the habit of not eating between meals, and I don't want to undermine that habit"), they make more sense.

I like keeping the view large-scale b/c it keeps me from "bargaining mode" - you know, where you (well, I) over-rationalize and head down a slippery slope. (Here's the mental process for me "OJ is really the same as an orange, and one of these cookies doesn't have any more calories than an orange, and oh well, I've already blown it with that cookie so I may as well have another...").

HTH - though you sound as if you've already figured out for yourself that there's some method in the madness.

TigerCrane

Post by TigerCrane » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:47 am

Drink the guiness!