Bad Time to Start

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

g'majudy

Bad Time to Start

Post by g'majudy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi - Just starting the program but will be going to visit my daughter in Ireland for 10 days in two weeks. I've thought about waiting until I get back to start but I'm so horrified about how bad by eating habits have become. I really like the three meals concept because perma-snacking and sweets are my main issues. What should I do about the 10 days in Ireland - Do I dare use them all as S days? thanks!!

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:20 pm

Wow, bet you'll have a great time on your trip! I'm still new to NoS, but I would try to keep the structure of M-F being N days and Sat/Sun being S days. But since you are on vacation, don't beat yourself up if you end up having a few slip-ups (after all you ARE on vacation). That way you won't go too overboard on your trip, but you won't have to experience any guilt either. Plus, you have two weeks before your trip. You will probably find that you won't even need the snacks and sweets so much. Your body will quickly adjust to eating in this new way. Just like you, I am a perma-snacker and sweet addict. I'm amazed at how easy it is to follow NoS once I put those rules into mind. Have a safe and fun trip.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Use the two weeks before you go to jump in, and wait until you're a few days out and ask this question again.

By then, you'll have more experience to draw on to make a decision that works for you.

Best wishes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:54 pm

I say give it a try.
NoS is very vacation friendly.
It's not uncommon for most people to go on any vacation and come back 7 pounds heavier, just from the lack of structure and added temptations.
If you don't do it perfectly, then maybe apply a few of the rules at least and minimise the possible damage.
Perhaps limit yourself and allow two extra S days during the week.
Look forward to your meals with family and just focus on not "permasnacking"..

Have a nice trip whatever you do :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:11 pm

I don't think I'd worry about it too much unless perma-snacking is common in Ireland, too. Unless they're perma-snacking, why not do something like "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

TigerCrane

Post by TigerCrane » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:20 am

Actually, one of the first things I noticed about No-S, was how much it remined me of being on vacation! When on vacation, you eat lots of yummy exotic meals and give up on the snacks, since you don't want to ruin your appetite for the next meal. No S takes that and makes it a permanent lifestyle!

Enjoy Ireland. The oysters are in season right now! All the seafood is very good there (the water is clean).

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:06 pm

You've gotten lots of good ideas--the best being to work hard in the two weeks pre-vacation to work on N day habits. I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good you can feel with enjoying 3 meals a day.

That said, *we* were on vacation for 7 days in Austria. We did self-catering (mostly) but I found it helpful to think in terms of S-events rather than S-days. Meaning, rather than looking at the whole day as a chance for anything-goes eating, I had one special thing--dessert, appetizer, etc. So for us, that meant enjoying pre-dinner Brie, crackers, and a glass of wine one day, ice cream another day, a full-fledged Austrian meal another.

Also, if the weather is at all nice, try to get in some extra walking. On our vacation, because we remained fairly active for half the day skiing, I was able to enjoy all kinds of S-day treats and didn't gain an ounce. (Didn't lose any either but we had a GREAT vacation meal-wise....)

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Vicki,

I'm about to go on vacation as well, and I think your idea of one S day event per day is a nice one. I may try to stick to the N days and S days while I'm gone, because I'm not going anywhere super special, but I just think your idea is a great one . . .and one I may adopt if I need to. It's certainly better than my usual free for all.

g'majudy

Post by g'majudy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks everybody for all the great ideas. Think I'll focus on getting the n days right before I leave and then as suggested consider days in Ireland s days but stick to the 3 meal per days structure with one s day event per days. So far the nosdiet is really helping me get my snacking under control. thanks