Starting No S today

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wren

Starting No S today

Post by wren » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:44 pm

I've lurked on this site on and off since last summer, but I never made the mental commitment to officially start No S. A few weeks ago I entered my height and weight in the Real Age quiz and learned that I've moved into the overweight category. I've never been rail-thin (I come from short and sturdy people), but I'm definitely chunky right now. The past year has been one of the most stressful of my life and I now realize how much I've been coping with food and, if I'm honest with myself, wine. It's time to change that.

So, hi, I'm wren. *waves hello* I'm announcing myself here in the hopes that it will make me more accountable. :)

Too solid flesh

Starting No S today

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Welcome, Wren! Congratulations on delurking. It can be hard to make that first post.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Wren! I'm new too and today was my first day of posting and introducing myself as well. Wishing you great success with this!
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

Catlady1975

Post by Catlady1975 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Hiya, Wren.

I'm also a newbie to this plan. I started last week. So far I'm really liking the freedom it allows. No counting calories, substituting ingredients, etc.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

wren

Post by wren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks everyone! It is hard making that first post, but I think I need to make myself public to make it more "real". I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:39 am

Welcome Wren!
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 am

Welcome, Wren!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ifya_1999

Post by ifya_1999 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:44 pm

Hello everyone :) Im a newbie as well. I am a past member of ww (weightwatchers) was very successful (down 140 lbs) and I was so tired of the meetings and the diet food and thought I have followed this plan for so long im sure i can do this on my own. needless to say i have packed the 40 lbs back on and thought i would try ww again. i went back to the meetings and found myself in the same rutt. so last week im at work and im eating this awful protein bar and feeling really good about myself but hating every bite of this bar. when i finished the bar i realized i had not enjoyed this meal and im still hungry. ive read the no s book more then once and this was the day i decided i was going to give it a shot and see if eating what i enjoy but only 3 times a day and in moderation can really work. I myself am a binge/starve DIETER. ive read alot of posts on here and really think i might have found my saving grace. im going to give it all i have for at least 1 month and see what happens. and i look forward to getting to know all of you and making some good friends.
God Bless, Robin

marleah

Post by marleah » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm with you on the "short and sturdy" people! It's very frustrating, and often I hear that perhaps being overweight is just my natural weight because of genetics and that kind of thing. Talk about discouraging! It makes me feel like I am fighting a losing battle, but I really want to prove that idea wrong.

Welcome!!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

lindalou

Robin

Post by lindalou » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello Robin and welcome I think you will be happy with this way of eating . It really is not a diet. But if you don't lose weigh in a month don't give up, it is a slow process just hang in there

Lindalou

lauren

Post by lauren » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Hi everyone - I have a similar story to Robin - I'm a former serial WW member. I've been on and off the program for years and several times have been successful (losing 30-40 pounds fairly quickly) only to gain it back and then some. The weekly meetings and counting points are fine, but they can be tedious. (Plus, after going to meetings for years, you've heard it all before). Also, I am really tired of eating before going out with friends - or even worse, staying in - because they were going to a place that didn't have it's nutrition info posted.

I ran across this site last year... and after trying a few other "diets" I decided to come back and give it a try. I'm really ready for a lifestyle change instead of a quick fix... and I think this is something I can live with. I've been mentally preparing myself to start this week and I'm officially starting tomorrow! I'm actually really excited about waking up tomorrow morning with a fresh start of sorts. I have about 40 pounds to lose at this point, but I'm in no rush - I just want to be happy and healthy doing it (and I'm ready to keep it off for good!!)

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello too! Best of luck to everyone!

Lauren

ifya_1999

Post by ifya_1999 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:52 am

thank you lindalou and i wanted to say ive been on this for 4 days now and i cant even believe how easy it is. im not starving all day and im not counting calories or points or measuring and when i eat a meal i really dont think too much about eating again until my next meal. its so easy it almost makes me laugh. ive been 3 days and working on 4 with no sweets and really the first day was the hardest as the days go by i really do miss it less and less. its nice to go through my day without heartache and sadness from worring about if im eating too much or if i measured the right amount out or if i alloted enough calories this is a great web site and im already in love with all you guys and am addicted to the posts :)
oh and welcome too lauren :)
God Bless, Robin

janmarie

Post by janmarie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:05 pm

hi new folks!
i'm pretty new myself, i think i'm 4 or 5 weeks into no-s and sticking with it and it gets easier all the time! the first few weeks are hard. As an ex-smoker i would say no-s is similar but easier as far quitting something goes. at first you can't stop thinking about a snack or sweets but after a few weeks you realize a few hours have gone by and you haven't thought about snacking! then you realize a whole day goes by and thoughts of snacking aren't much of a bother at all. then you begin to feel so proud that you are actually (maybe for the first time) sticking to something! it's still blows me away how easy this 'diet' is! all the obsessions with food that went along with all other diets is virtually non-existent. with other diets i was all day focused on food to the point that it would wear me out. i have to say, yesterday i did think about having some cookies and ice cream on saturday or sunday but it wasn't painful or an obsession, just another passing thought and something i look forward to like being off from work.
good for you for starting the no-s!

wren

Post by wren » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Marleah,

We are the same height and weight. I'm 5'2" and weighed 145 on Monday morning. I haven't decided on a goal weight yet because while I'd *like* to weigh 120, 130 is probably more realistic.

marleah

Post by marleah » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:15 pm

That's about what I'm hoping for too! I just hope that I know when I am at a "good" weight.
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:00 pm

Welcome, Wren!

Don't worry about not having a "goal weight." It isn't necessary -- I think it may often be positively unhelpful. "Eat and move moderately, see what happens" is what I'd advise.

As for the wine issue -- I've also got a system for that, glass ceiling.

Reinhard

nlb

Post by nlb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:42 pm

I'm new too, started 3/20. I'm fortunate in that I only have that last 5# to lose. Have done the calorie counting, lots of exercising, intermittent fasting. Am extra hungry today but am still learning what and how much I need to eat per meal. Think it was the years of eating every few hours and staying at about 300 calories for meals, 100 calories for snacks. Last weekend was enjoyable, did not overdo it, had a couple treats and found myself looking forward to N days again. Admit to being more hungry yesterday and today but love the discipline of not giving in whether that be a snack or weighing. Habit has been weigh everyday; No S Diet plan for me is to weigh on Fridays. I workout at least an hour almost every day but you have to realize I've been doing that for 30 years; it's what my body is used to.

I got the book 3/19; am reading it for the 2nd time and have enjoyed and learned so much here, especially Blueskye's blog (I think that's the name). I wish everyone success - we can do it!

nlb

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 pm

As another short, light woman,
I'll be very interested to see how each of your bodies respond.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:54 am

Welcome Wren! I'm pretty new to no-sing myself. I joined in Feb. and, although I haven't shed tons of weight, no-sing has helped me develop some new and positive habits. Good Luck!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

wren

Post by wren » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:29 am

I really appreciate all the welcomes! Thanks!

It seems like real life has gotten in the way of visiting this forum, but I'm doing well on No S so far. It's actually been a lot easier than I thought it would be, though I did have to up my lunch portions to keep from getting hungry in the afternoons. I think the nice weather we've been having has helped, too, since I want to spend all my extra time outside in the garden. :D

noni

Post by noni » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi wren,

I'm also short and sturdy (5'2"). Well, I'm not sure how sturdy I am. I down to 147 lbs from 160 lbs since early Jan. Eleven of those lbs are credited to No s since early Feb when I started this diet. I would have liked getting down to 125-130 lbs yet I think it will be more so I'll just go with the flow. As I get older, (52 y/o) my weight settles higher but it's not so bad. If I were to be the weight I was in my 20's, I would now look like a skeleton, an emaciated one!

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi, Wren!

One beautiful thing about No-S is that as soon as you commit yourself to it, you are automatically your perfect weight. All you are lacking is time...and eventually the pointer on the scale will point where it should be if you are faithful to the rules.

I hope you're having a good week....

John
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

EricaCanLose

day 2

Post by EricaCanLose » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 pm

this is just my second day going through NoS, i haven't weighed myself or set a goal weight yet, and while i feel like i should know my current weight, i feel like if i were to set a goal weight i would push myself too hard, and feel obligated to check my weight too often. so i'm just going to see where this diet takes me and hope for the best. i love all the discussions on here and the blogs are so inspirational i took some time to set one up myself yesterday. there's only one post so far but i plan to update it every day.

feel free to take a look at my blog and leave comments for me www.mynosjournal.blogspot.com :P
~Erica!! see how i'm doing on my daily blog at www.mynosjournal.blogspot.com