Eating when NOT hungry

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Marianna

Eating when NOT hungry

Post by Marianna » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Maybe this is a crazy question, but I am coming to NoS from Thintuition--which mandated not eating if you were not hungry, and promised weight loss if you followed that rule. What I realized is that I am not at all hungry til midmorning. However, to tell you the truth, that fact totally screwed up my mealtimes, as I do not have time to eat midmorning. Truly, it would be my preference to eat at 7am when I have time, again at noon and then dinner at 6. I am wondering if people have had the experience of developing hunger when eating in the morning? Will I be screwing something up metabolically if I eat breakfast even though I am not hungry? Perhaps these questions sound obsessive, but I really am trying to get in touch with my body, and I do want to eat the way people have traditionally eaten--and I DO want to lose both weight and diet mentality, if you know what I mean.

TIA

Marianna

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Marianna :)
I think if you stick to your new schedule, which is a great idea btw, you will reset your hunger actually.
I also have no hunger in the morning, till I have to move around and do stuff.
The drawback of that, is that I am often battling night time hunger which is the backlash for not eating breakfast.
I often find I don't feel like eating till well after 10 am.
Not good.
I'm hoping to gradually change that.
Good luck.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:00 pm

My experience is that I can "train" my body to expect to eat at different times. But I have to pay attention.

If I eat late at night, I'm not hungry in the morning. But that boomerangs, and I am hungry again late, which means... rinse, repeat.

If I don't eat late in the evening, it breaks the cycle (may take a few days). I'm ready for breakfast, and can stop eating at night. Or, I can start eating earlier in the day, so that I don't want to eat at night.

What I do when I'm not really hungry (but I know that I'll throw myself off later if I don't eat) is to sit down and eat something light - yogurt, maybe - while telling myself "This is a meal. You are choosing to eat a light meal, but this is THE meal."

It is okay for meals to fluctuate - if I'm very hungry by the next meal, I can have a bigger meal. And a glass of milk to tide me over is also okay.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm

As nice as it sounds, "eating when you're hungry" is not at ALL the way people traditionally ate. They ate when it was time to eat -- as you do on No-s.

Relevant teaser content from the book (this gets reposted a lot, I should probably add something like it to the home page):

from pages 50-53

Isn’t It Better to Eat When I’m Hungry?

You often hear formulas like “Eat only when you’re hun-
gry†and “Eat what you want, not what you shouldâ€
touted as liberating, antidiet weight- loss wisdom. But
despite their appeal to nature and their warm-
and- fuzzy feel, these formulas are no more effective than “Don’t eat
too much.†In fact, they’re worse. They are not merely
impossible advice, they are bad advice. And they are profoundly unnatural.

I have two cats. The concept of should is utterly
alien to them. But if I give them too much food, they
happily eat it and get fat. They want too much. So do I.
Superabundance is not a natural problem, so we don’t
have good instincts to deal with it. Why would we? No
animal (until us, now, perhaps) ever died because there
was too much food. Plenty died because there was too
little. That all too common scenario is the reason the
feeling of hunger evolved— to avoid starvation. So it’s
not going to be a very reliable guide to moderating
intake; that’s just not its job.

Eating whenever you’re hungry is not only unnatural,
it’s uncivilized. Human beings in traditional societies
didn’t eat when they were hungry; food was too scarce
and precious and hard to prepare for that. Our ancestors
were hungry a lot. When times were good, they ate at
regular, discrete, social meals, with real gratitude. When
times were not so good, they experienced something
that makes our “hunger†look like a joke.

Furthermore, if you’re a so- called emotional eater,
you may not get an honest answer to, “Am I really
hungry?†Depression is going to attempt to pass itself
off as hunger. So will stress. So will countless other
emotions. And they’ll be quite convincing.

It’s harder to deceive yourself when the question is,
“Is it mealtime?†or “Is this a brownie and is it 4 a.m.
Monday morning?†Self-deception is a powerful force,
and you can’t afford to be naive about it. No snacks
blocks this kind of self-deception. It simply doesn’t
matter when you’re hungry; you’re not allowed to eat.
Real or imagined hunger is not a valid excuse. And
soon enough, if you’re ï¬ rm, you’ll stop even trying to
make emotional excuses; any real hunger you have will
start to coincide with mealtimes.

Although dieting may not have done much good for
the problem of obesity, I don’t think it’s quite fair to
say that it caused it. There is nothing new about rules
governing the way people eat. What is new is that formerly the rules were externally imposed: by scarcity,
by social structures, by tradition. When these external forces passed away, it was only to be expected that
people would seek new rules. But most of those new
rules were poorly thought out; they didn’t resemble or
even take into account the old rules that had served so
well for thousands of generations.

I’m not saying we have no “nature†to work with
in regard to eating, simply that it’s not enough to rely
on. Eating discrete meals is satisfying and natural; but
without either social pressure, natural scarcity, rules,
or habit, that natural satisfaction by itself isn’t going
to be enough to make you do it. It’s just a foundation.
You can and should work with it (as the No S Diet
does), but don’t expect it to do the work for you.

So don’t eat when you’re hungry. Don’t eat when
you’re depressed. Don’t eat when you’ve seen a good
number on the scale and you think you can afford a
few extra calories. Eat when it’s time to eat, just like
thin people did for thousands of years.

What If I’m Not Hungry at Mealtime?

If you’re not hungry at mealtime, you will be hungry
an hour later, so eat preemptively. Once you get a regu-
lar routine of mealtime eating down, this won’t happen
much. Remember: You’re the boss. You’re the trainer.
Your appetite is a dumb brute, an animal. You tell it
when to get hungry; and, like Pavlov’s dogs, it’ll learn.
If you let your appetite lead you, that’s like the dog
leading the trainer: not only counterproductive but
degrading.
Reinhard

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 pm

The above was enormously helpful! Thank you--I have the book on my kindle, but hadn't gotten to that part yet!

Marianna

noni

Post by noni » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:51 pm

Marianna,

I also followed the same hunger/fullness path for years. It was a mental struggle wondering if when I ate and what I ate would throw my hunger off schedule for mealtimes. That's why I enjoy No S and I'm more successful on it too.
My mealtimes coincide with yours. I am usually hungry in the morning probably always since No S. If you eat a one plate meal in the evening with no snacks afterward, you should be hungry by morning. Don't worry about "feeling" hungry - you are if you did it the No S way. Think about it. That's about 10-11 hours after you finish eating dinner involving a single plate of food. Sometimes I eat dinner at 7:30pm but I'm still ready to eat in the morning. I don't eat diet food and I love olive oil. This ought to work for you.

Pewari

Post by Pewari » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:29 am

This is something I struggle with too, massively.

I'm on about week 3 now, and I've found that I've just started to feel hungry in the mornings at breakfast time - I had a massive evening snacking problem before, so I'm sure that was a major part of the problem.

Mondays I still feel I'm force feeding myself at that first meal though, probably because of the excesses of the two S days before it :oops: - I'm hoping that they'll calm down over time.

wosnes

Re: Eating when NOT hungry

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Marianna wrote:I am wondering if people have had the experience of developing hunger when eating in the morning? Will I be screwing something up metabolically if I eat breakfast even though I am not hungry?
Marianna
Breakfast is my bugaboo. I try to keep mealtimes very similar to your ideal. I'm rarely hungry in the morning -- breakfast usually sounds more disgusting than appealing. What I've found is that if I eat breakfast, even a very small breakfast, when I'm not hungry, it seems to kickstart something that makes me hungrier than usual all day long. It's as if I can't get enough to eat. I'll want to eat all morning if I eat breakfast when I'm not hungry.

Only breakfast does this to me. If I'm not hungry at lunch or dinner and eat just a little, no problem.

Because I'm home in the morning, I wait until I'm hungry to eat breakfast. If it's nearly lunchtime before I'm hungry, I wait until lunch to eat. I don't feel a need to eat more at lunch because I didn't eat breakfast.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:32 pm

I eat breakfast at 6:00 AM, and I am always hungry when that time comes. I think one reason that I am hungry when I get up in the morning is because I eat supper very early--usually but 5:00 PM, although sometimes it is later. When breakfast time rolls around, it has been 12 hours since I've eaten anything, so my oats look very tasty indeed!

And...I have found that skipping meal (on the rare chance that I am not hungry at mealtime) is a recipe for disaster! I feel like I am not hungry, then an hour later my stomach is rubbing on my backbone, and I am tempted to eat everything in sight. I have found that it is particularly imporant to eat my meals on Saturday and Sunday, because the meals keep me from perma-snacking.

The thing I am learning from the message board is that everybody is different, and you have to plan your meals around the situation that works for you.
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 pm

I totally agree with wosnes... I'm not hungry at all for breakfast, and if I eat it, I then am hungrier ALL day. What is that? I even feel nausiated sometimes if I do eat breakfast. What I do is wait until I'm hungry (usually around 11:00) and then eat an early lunch. I'm a former weighdown workshopper, and I believe God made our bodies to get hungry when we need food and that we need to balance it to our lifestyles. I try to wait until I'm hungry AND it's meal time. That way I know I'm right on. I do however tend to want to cheat by telling myself that if I snack, it's really my 3rd meal that I didn't have earlier! I went years without feeling hunger and I'm just glad that I'm getting back on track!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:15 pm

good feedback all. Right now I am leaning towards eating breakfast at 7, before I am hungry--mostly because I want to learn to deal with midmorning hunger without caving in to it. I have never had an evening eating problem, so after dinner--say 6:30--It would probably take until 9 or 10 am before I am hungry again--at which point I am somewhat ravenous. It will be an experiment to see how it goes for me--But I really appreciate all the different considerations expressed here--

Marianna

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:26 pm

brotherjohn wrote:I eat breakfast at 6:00 AM, and I am always hungry when that time comes. I think one reason that I am hungry when I get up in the morning is because I eat supper very early--usually but 5:00 PM, although sometimes it is later. When breakfast time rolls around, it has been 12 hours since I've eaten anything, so my oats look very tasty indeed!

The thing I am learning from the message board is that everybody is different, and you have to plan your meals around the situation that works for you.
I also eat dinner between 5 and 6 and, as I said above, am almost never hungry in the morning. I've always been like this. My mom used to think she was doing well if she could get a piece of toast and a small glass of juice in me before I went to school. I bypassed it as often as I could.

We're taught that breakfast is the most important meal, yet around the world breakfast doesn't seem to be that important. Some kind of bread and a hot drink is the most common breakfast worldwide.

I wonder how much of what we believe about this comes from the food industry. Certainly helps cereal sales! Also Pop Tarts, but....

But, as you said, we're all different and different things work for each of us.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 pm

We're taught that breakfast is the most important meal, yet around the world breakfast doesn't seem to be that important. Some kind of bread and a hot drink is the most common breakfast worldwide.
wosnes,

I have never thought about it before, but you are exactly right. From everything I have seen, breakfast really is not that big of a deal in most cultures.

Back in the 1980's I was doing a missionary internship in Uruguay. I stopped at a cafe about 9:00 AM and ordered an omelette. The other diners had a cup of coffee and a piece of bread. The waiter gave the order to the cook, and he stuck his head out of the kitchen to see who in the world the nut was who was eating an omelette at 9:00 AM!

(In South America, an omelette is something you would eat for dinner, not breakfast!)

The television commercials in South America show a mother cooking breakfast for her family. She heats milk, and then stirs in Bracafe-- a brand of instant coffee that has sugar already mixed in it. Then everybody has a cup of joe, and a piece of toasted bread. Even the children.

So...the "well-balanced breakfast" is probably an American thing, thought up by Kelloggs, Inc.

Which reminds me, I heard somewhere that science has proven that the child who eats a well-balanced breakfast is the kid who throws up in gym class! :lol:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:43 pm

I think in other places breakfast is a little something literally to "break the fast."

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:18 pm

I agree with wosnes: breakfast does seem to "wake up the worms". However I'm thinking that it might well be the kind of breakfast I'm eating which is muesli, plain yogurt and chopped up fresh fruit. Sounds very healthy huh? I take this lot to work to eat because of a long commute and I also take a cheese salad sandwich or a homemade Greek salad for lunch.

On the days I take the sandwich I want it within an hour of breakfast. On the days I take the salad I wouldn't dream of eating it before lunchtime. I feel peckish, but not starving. However if I forgo the muesli etc breakfast and take an orange, 2 ounces of cheese and three wholewheat crackers I don't feel hungry at all until lunchtime, whether I have the sandwich in my brown bag or not.

Or is this all psychological? A sad side-effect of eating lunch too early has the effect of making me go out and buy a couple of KitKats to get through the afternoon. And of horrible red splodges on my HabitCal :cry:
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Adding this thought on to my above post about ideas about breakfast in other cultures:

Several years ago we had an exchange student from Japan in our home for a school year. She was careful to eat breakfast every morning, even though she was tiny and ate a tiny amount.

One day we started talking about Sumo wrestlers. I said that I had read that they were fed around the clock at regular intervals, and that they were treated as children and not allowed to worry about anything because this might cause them to lose weight.

Kiyo told me that one reason that Sumo wrestlers are fat because don't eat breakfast! I said, "What difference does that make?" She said, "Well, a person will get fat if they don't eat breakfast!" :lol:

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm usually hungry no matter what time it is !! :P

Nah, I try to eat always at the same hours, give or take half an hour.

It's all planned daily. I have a piece of paper I make each day : What I will eat the next day and the times as well. I was just reading about that today actually ...

Apparently it's a really good idea to do that, planning in advance what you will eat (When you are not hungry !)

This way you avoid eating all sorts of things in excess and you know exactly what you had that day ... anyway it helps me to manage my daily intake of food. It takes only a couple of minutes in the evenings to plan what I will have the next day and write a few items down on a piece of paper I carry in my pocket. I have a main list of food items and I pick and choose from the list for the daily meals ... also based on the leftovers I have available.

I try to have some things from all the food groups at all meals, anyway I'm eating super healthy these days, I mean I'm having soy milk and ground flax seeds daily, unbelievable !! 2 months ago I hadn't tried either of those things ever ... ;-)

Marc ;-)

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:43 am

Intuitive eating never worked for me, and the reasons seem summed up in Reinhard's post. Also, when I think about living life to its fullest, one of the pleasure inherent in that (for me) is eating well. Intuitive eating seems to relegate food to just necessity, and I found that that's not where I want to put food in my life. Great food eaten in moderation and sometimes for the sheer pleasure of eating (on S days, for example) is one of the great pleasure of life for me.

And as others have mentioned, I think by establishing regular meal times we train our bodies to become hungry at those times.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:46 am

At about 5 PM tonight, I realized I hadn't eaten lunch. I had totally forgotten!

When I was practicing Intuitive Eating, I was always belly gazing. Am I hungry? Am I not? What level of hunger am I experiencing?

It's so nice to focus on LIFE!

Kathleen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:55 am

Shirls wrote: On the days I take the sandwich I want it within an hour of breakfast. On the days I take the salad I wouldn't dream of eating it before lunchtime. I feel peckish, but not starving. However if I forgo the muesli etc breakfast and take an orange, 2 ounces of cheese and three wholewheat crackers I don't feel hungry at all until lunchtime, whether I have the sandwich in my brown bag or not.

Or is this all psychological? A sad side-effect of eating lunch too early has the effect of making me go out and buy a couple of KitKats to get through the afternoon. And of horrible red splodges on my HabitCal :cry:
Hi Shirls!! Nice to see you here again. I still am smiling cos of the stuff you wrote a while back about how you get up early to do your crazy dancing before your husband wakes up, so he won't make fun.. hahah.. I started dancing recently to music in my room, and I always think of you saying that..
Believe me, I don't want anyone to see me hahah!!
Anyhooo...
I think from what you wrote, it's not psychological.. You sound like your' not really eating enough maybe, if you are feeling you need a sugar fix to get through the day.
Then again, if that's been your habit, it may just be that..
Habit.
Bring some fruit with you.
Better to have that than Kitkats..
And why only three crackers and two ounces of cheese?
That feels like a snack to me.. If you are gonna have a meal of it, make it more substantial.
Just a suggestion.
Have a nice weekend!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:46 am

wosnes wrote: We're taught that breakfast is the most important meal, yet around the world breakfast doesn't seem to be that important. Some kind of bread and a hot drink is the most common breakfast worldwide.

I wonder how much of what we believe about this comes from the food industry. Certainly helps cereal sales! Also Pop Tarts, but....

But, as you said, we're all different and different things work for each of us.
We live in Eastern Europe and breakfast for most is just as you have described it: bread (with Nutella or Jam for those who like sweets or a *thin* piece of cheese and smoked meat for those who like savouries) plus a drink (warmed milk for the children).

Some things to remember though: After this light breakfast, lunch is THE main meal. So that light breakfast is followed by a substantial meal, not the typical American lunch.

Also, in a culture where you still must cook/prepare meals, bread&beverage is one of the easiest to prepare. Few ready made cereals are available, and those that can be bought are pretty expensive compared to bread. While you could cook a bigger breakfast, you are not apt to because that would immediately be followed by cooking a big lunch. It is way too much work to have two substantial meals in a row.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

amarbach

Yep!

Post by amarbach » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:45 am

Kathleen wrote:At about 5 PM tonight, I realized I hadn't eaten lunch. I had totally forgotten!

When I was practicing Intuitive Eating, I was always belly gazing. Am I hungry? Am I not? What level of hunger am I experiencing?

It's so nice to focus on LIFE!

Kathleen
Last month I read a book called I Can Make You Thin. It promoted the eat what your want when hungry stuff. I really don't know if I am hungry or not!
I am back to NOS now (day 4 - 3 green days in a row behind me!!) and I just eat on schedule. I eat at 8 am, 1pm, and dinner soemtime between 6 and 7. I drink a glass of V8 juice between meals.
I don't really consider the first meal to be breakfast - I consider it a pre-emptive strike. :)

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:11 pm

I don't really consider the first meal to be breakfast - I consider it a pre-emptive strike.
Beautifully put! :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 pm

vmsurbat wrote:
It is way too much work to have two substantial meals in a row.
That makes sense. And if you eat a light breakfast and a light dinner, you're automatically not consuming so many calories.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:14 pm

All of these great posts have really got me thinking... They say that most really overweight people don't eat breakfast, and thin people do. I've always thought that it was a metabolism thing and my thyroid is bad anyway so I've been thinking that it doesn't matter... but what if it's not that? I think that I'm going to try eating a tiny breakfast (juice and 1 toast) and see what happens. Imagine that.. actually the 3 meals that Reinhard suggests. Duh!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Something else occurred to me...most of us, even if we exercise regularly, don't burn enough calories to warrant eating 2-3 substantial meals daily. Not only are we not out walking behind horses or oxen plowing fields, life in general is far less active than it was just a generation or two ago.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Shirls wrote -
muesli, plain yogurt and chopped up fresh fruit. Sounds very healthy huh?
This is very similar to what I eat every day - frozen blackberries, plain low fat yogurt with a sprinkle of sugar or honey mixed with Shredded Wheat n Bran. I have been eating this for well over a year. Every time I mention this to someone they look at me with confusion. Obviously I look like the type that eats at McD's instead. So I have decided that I need a change to see if that will jumpstart something.

Another thread on the board recently was about the caveman diet and eating right for your blood type. As a type O, according to the rules, the 3 things I have for breakfast every workday are big no-nos. And here I was thinking it was so well balanced. But maybe my body really does only want protein. So for at least the next month I am going to try something new and see if it makes a difference. I don't want to have to cook anything so I am thinking protein shake. I don't like the artificialness of that protein powder but I have done it before and at least it doesn't taste bad. I am going to try it with almond milk this time instead of soy.

Speaking of different cultures, my DH and I recently spent 2 weeks in Chile staying with his family. Breakfast was whatever was leftover from "tea" the night before - bread of a sort I have never had at home (the size of a hamburger bun but the texture of a puffy water cracker), butter, jams, sometimes sliced cheese, sometimes sliced meats, sometimes mashed avocado, and more tea. Everyone else usually had just one roll dressed as they liked but my husband would sometimes have as many as 3. The bread was good but it was still funny considering at home he just has a yoplait for breakfast. And he ended up losing 5 pounds on that trip.

Pewari

Post by Pewari » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Regarding the blood type diet, my understanding of it was that the science was not sound so I wouldn't worry too much if that breakfast is something you enjoy (sounds quite tasty to me actually!)

http://skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html is a little brusque in places, but has a good explanation of why the blood type diet should be approached with caution.

amarbach, I love your line about the pre-emptive strike! I shall hold that in mind next time I feel like I'm force-feeding myself breakfast!!

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:24 pm

a fruitcake that did not fall far from the tree
Really mean, but a brilliant turn of phrase!

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:27 pm

As a type O, according to the rules, the 3 things I have for breakfast every workday are big no-nos. And here I was thinking it was so well balanced. But maybe my body really does only want protein.
midtown,

I don't know much about the blood type diet, but whether the blood type thing holds true or not, I am a type O, and I seem to need a lot of protein.

I am having tremendous success with a breakfast consisting of old-fashioned oats and an egg. I am sticking with this combination, because I almost never get weak or hungry before lunch time.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:28 pm

See, the blood type guy would take away your oatmeal.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:00 pm

I don't have any trouble with feeling hungry before lunch or feeling deprived in any way. I do love my breakfast. But maybe my body doesnt need that much food to get going in the morning. Or maybe it doesn't want that much bran. Or maybe it doesn't like yogurt.

I don't think Reinhard approves of protein powder or shakes but it seems like an easy and lighter alternative to my usual. I don't think I can give up my blackberries though so I will continue to use those in my shake. How can blackberries be bad for anyone? :cry: Although it would be hysterical if I was actually allergic to them and my body rebels by not letting me lose any weight. I'm allergic to canteloupe but I still eat it, just not that often.

Just having toast and juice like others is an option but it just doesn't work well for me. I can barely get out of bed in time to get out the door. I don't have time to put bread in a toaster. And it would be soggy by the time I got to work anyway.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:01 pm

I was curious about the blood type, and looked up mine (type A).

It was mostly vegetarian, no red meat, limited fish. I do tend to eat more vegs, but it excluded a lot that I love and feel I thrive on.

However, I'm A/O (A is dominant, but because I know my parent's blood types, I know I carry O as a recessive). O is just the opposite - lots of protein.

If you mix the two, it's what I feel best on. However, you can describe almost ANY combination by mixing those two! ;)

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:12 pm

See, the blood type guy would take away your oatmeal.
Thalia,

I can beat up the blood type guy, because I eat oats! :P

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 pm

I know that the Blood Type diet is probably ridiculous as most diets are. And it is definitely inappropriate for a No S'er. But when others comment on how well it correlates to what they crave and normally eat anyway, it does make you wonder if there is some truth to it. I just wish I knew what my body wanted. :roll: I have been trying to tune it out for so long, it is completely inaudible now. So No S works well there - eat your 3 meals and ignore the "hunger".

Maybe my breakfast just needs a shake up for a while. I surprise myself that I am still eating the same thing this long.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:30 pm

But when others comment on how well it correlates to what they crave and normally eat anyway, it does make you wonder if there is some truth to it
It's confirmation bias, I think. Same way that newspaper horoscopes seem "true" because we focus on whatever they say that seems to apply to us.

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:21 pm

I just wish I knew what my body wanted.
My body wants to be fed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Now I just tell it, "Shut up, and wait 'til the next meal!" :lol:

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Yeah, my body wants peanut M&Ms.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 pm

midtownfg wrote:I know that the Blood Type diet is probably ridiculous as most diets are. And it is definitely inappropriate for a No S'er. But when others comment on how well it correlates to what they crave and normally eat anyway, it does make you wonder if there is some truth to it. I just wish I knew what my body wanted. :roll: I have been trying to tune it out for so long, it is completely inaudible now. So No S works well there - eat your 3 meals and ignore the "hunger".

Maybe my breakfast just needs a shake up for a while. I surprise myself that I am still eating the same thing this long.
What is it you've been trying to tune out?

MonkeyWoMan

Post by MonkeyWoMan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:31 am

Thalia wrote:Yeah, my body wants peanut M&Ms.
LOL

This pre-emptive eating idea has made me realise that the rules in the No S Diet are so much like the rules my parents enforced when I was a kid. "No sweets before dinner"... "Eat your breakfast or you won't get anything until lunch time"... it all sounds very familiar. Except now, no sweets after dinner either. Which is fair enough considering that I don't spend my lunch break running around the playground anymore.
Guess mum really did know best.

(I'm new btw, hello!)

khristal23

Re: Yep!

Post by khristal23 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Kathleen[/quote]
Last month I read a book called I Can Make You Thin. It promoted the eat what your want when hungry stuff. I really don't know if I am hungry or not!
I am back to NOS now (day 4 - 3 green days in a row behind me!!) and I just eat on schedule. I eat at 8 am, 1pm, and dinner soemtime between 6 and 7. I drink a glass of V8 juice between meals.
I don't really consider the first meal to be breakfast - I consider it a pre-emptive strike. :)[/quote]

I read I Can Make You Thin, too, and it didn't work for me. I just got tired of always trying to figure out if I was hungry or not, or hungry enough to actually eat. It was a mental drain.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:36 pm

I don't think I realized the power of knowing when one is going to eat and not thinking about whether or not you're hungry.

khristal23

Post by khristal23 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:42 pm

wosnes wrote:I don't think I realized the power of knowing when one is going to eat and not thinking about whether or not you're hungry.
I think there's a lot to be said for that. When I was trying to follow intuitive eating, I was trying to go against the grain and not eat at regular mealtimes because I would tell myself, "I don't think I'm hungry enough to eat right now", or I would always be trying to guess if I was or not. And hungry or not, I wanted to eat at those times because that's just when it was time to eat, period.

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day, and I am always hungry at that time! I love breakfast.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:44 pm

khristal23 wrote: Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day, and I am always hungry at that time! I love breakfast.
I LOVE breakfast foods -- for lunch or dinner. First thing in the morning, not so much. Actually, not at all.