Thoughts for our Moderator or anyone who has input

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

StrawberryRoan

Thoughts for our Moderator or anyone who has input

Post by StrawberryRoan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Does anyone think that the reason we, as a nation, are getting so obese is that we have too many choices?

Think about it, growing up - I think most of us (or else I just lived a very deprived existence) ate basically the same breakfast each day, maybe varying a bit on the weekends but we didn't have dozens of options each day. And lunch was basically a sandwich and a piece of fruit or the school menu. Remember when dad or grandpa carried a lunchbox - I would bet that most of the time their menu didn't deviate too much.

Dinner was usually meat, potato, a salad or vegetable, bread or rolls of some kind.

Maybe popcorn while watching tv. Soda was rare. Heck, KoolAid was a treat reserved for Vacation Bible School.

Desserts were not a daily event, usually a cake or pie after Sunday dinner or an ice cream if we went for a Sunday drive or had company and we churned it in the summer.

Now, food is a free for all. People of all ages eat and drink whatever they want, whenever they want.

Just look at photos of high school graduations or any gathering like that from the forites or fifties. A heavy person was the exception, not the norm.

Whatcha think? :roll:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:52 pm

food is everywhere! It's easy, we have a huge variety and it's absolutely everywhere you go! People seem afraid to get hungry. I agree! Not much seems like a treat anymore. When I do no S I appreciate food more. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

dockanz

Re: Thoughts for our Moderator or anyone who has input

Post by dockanz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 pm

StrawberryRoan wrote: Think about it, growing up - I think most of us (or else I just lived a very deprived existence) ate basically the same breakfast each day, maybe varying a bit on the weekends but we didn't have dozens of options each day. And lunch was basically a sandwich and a piece of fruit or the school menu. Remember when dad or grandpa carried a lunchbox - I would bet that most of the time their menu didn't deviate too much.

Dinner was usually meat, potato, a salad or vegetable, bread or rolls of some kind.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I eat now. :D
Make the Better Choice

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:03 pm

Too much variety might well be part of it, but it's also that it's always available, we eat super-sized portions 24/7, and we eat food that Mother Nature never meant for human consumption! It's no wonder we're fat and unhealthy.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:55 pm

I've read that restricting variety at meals leads to eating less. The fewer things there are to choose from, the less you eat. It might not be much less, but it's less
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:58 pm

I definitely see merit in that. When I'm at home and I make, for instance, Shrimp and broccoli with rice, I just have that. But camping this weekend there was hot dogs, hamburgers, chili, pasta salad, chips of all kinds, salsa, potato salad, etc... It all looks so good and you want to try them all! It resulted in me having a hamburger, 1.5 chili dogs, a bowl of chili, pasta salad, and some chips. Definitely not my every day meal!!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:43 pm

I read a book a couple of years ago called The Paradox of Choice - it was about how now we have so many choices that it actually stresses us out! The author pointed out how we go into the store to the bread aisle, and now there are choices of every kind: brand, how "whole-grain" you want your bread to be, if you want it with cinnamon and raisins, if you want organic. Breakfast cereals too. Studies were done and those people who were presented with only a few choices (and could only choose one) in jam flavors were actually more satisfied with their choices. The people who were presented with several choices (and could only choose one) were actually less satisfied - probably because they wanted to try multiple flavors (kind of what you pointed out, Nichole!). Really interesting theory, at least if you are a psychology nerd like me! :)
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 pm

marleah wrote:I read a book a couple of years ago called The Paradox of Choice - it was about how now we have so many choices that it actually stresses us out! The author pointed out how we go into the store to the bread aisle, and now there are choices of every kind: brand, how "whole-grain" you want your bread to be, if you want it with cinnamon and raisins, if you want organic. Breakfast cereals too.
My husband always request "Simply JIF" peanut butter. When I was food shopping the other day I was marveling at how many choices there were for peanut butter! There were 3 rows that were about five feet long each. It always takes me a couple seconds to find his peanut butter lol.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi StrawberryRoan,

I had a similar experience too, even though my parents were crazy hippies, they really had old fashioned sensible values regarding food, which is cool I guess. We just didn't have snacky/sugary food in the house, if we wanted something like that it would mean a special trip to a shop to get some (usually on a Friday after school). I remember kids I went to school with having things like penguin bars (or similar chocolate biscuit treats) in their lunchboxes and just thinking that was really weird :)

Sadly when I went to secondary school (with vending machines in every corridor and a sweet shop at the school gates!) I kind of lost the plot and went sugar crazy for a while, but that was self regulated by the fact that I usually had little or no cash on me apart from bus money, so treats came with an additional price of a long walk home :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:13 pm

In another thread, Marc Desbiens said, "you learn not to always have everything you want whenever you want." That is a big part of the reason we, as a nation, are getting obese.

Somewhere over the last 30+ years, all the food rules have been relaxed, or, worse yet, disappeared. We want instant gratification in everything, including food.

It's not that we never had sweets or snacks except on special occasions, it's that if you did have them, it was at certain times, like the after school cookies and milk or other snack. You had the after school snack and that was it until dinner. If you ate more, you'd ruin your appetite. If you missed the after school snack, you waited until dinner. If you got hungry, that was okay, you weren't going to starve. You'd just appreciate dinner more when it was served!

That's not the only thing. We eat too much when we do eat and we don't move much.