I think this diet is training me to not think about food

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

khristal23

I think this diet is training me to not think about food

Post by khristal23 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 pm

It's already 4 PM, I ate lunch 4 hours ago, and I just realized it's getting close to time for dinner and not once have I thought about food since I ate lunch! Wow! I don't think I've went longer than 30 minutes without thinking about food in I don't know how long!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Cool, huh?

I agree. It does exactly that.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 pm

Exactly,

Today is day three for me, the first two days I just wandered around checking the cabinets and fridge for food - didn't eat any, just looked at what I had.

Today, it was two o'clock and I realized that not only had I not snacked (or looked for any) but hadn't eaten lunch.

I ate a big bowl of Healthy Request veggie soup sprinkled with oyster crackers. Very filling, won't think about it again until dinner.

Will make spaghetti, eat a normal serving - that's it.

SUE

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:21 pm

It's a funny thing, I think most people on No-s wind up thinking less about food in a negative, anxious way, but MORE about it in a positive, "mindful" way: there's no thoughtless, automatic wolfing down when you sit down to a real meal with real appetite.

Reinhard

khristal23

Post by khristal23 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 pm

reinhard wrote:It's a funny thing, I think most people on No-s wind up thinking less about food in a negative, anxious way, but MORE about it in a positive, "mindful" way: there's no thoughtless, automatic wolfing down when you sit down to a real meal with real appetite.

Reinhard
It's true. Before I started eating this way I thought about food all the time, and those thoughts were usually anxious. I would want/crave things and be telling myself at the same time, "You don't need that! It's fattening" which would make me want it more. And I'd end up getting it and feeling bad. Sometimes I'd end up eating 5 normal sized meals per day, when you figured in my snacking.

I don't know. I've just been pretty calm about it all today. The first few days were a little tougher, but today I just haven't spent that much time thinking about food, except when it's time to eat it. I really hope this continues. It is liberating.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 pm

Liberating is a good word.

Being in control is a good feeling, isn't it?

I used to go to bed at night planning how much better I would eat the next day.

Now I go to bed smiling over how good I have eaten.

:wink:

drswife

Post by drswife » Fri May 01, 2009 4:53 am

I definitely think about food and my weight and the whole 9 yards many times less when i'm on the Nos. Somehow it just puts food in it's proper place. You know you will be getting it in a reliable, consistent manner & amount and you can just move on with your life.

When your trying to lose weight just sort of randomly it's like okay am I going to allow myself to eat in 10 mins or 10 hrs, will I eat a little or alot, what will I eat, why will I eat....it's just way too much to think about!

Now I know the when, the how much and they why (cuz it's time) and all I have to think about is what. The what gets much easier because I'm actually hungry enough to think about what I want. Maybe it's just me but when i'm hungry I tend to crave a pretty well rounded meal, I certainly don't feel like cake when I'm physically hungry but it sure does look good when I'm trying to procrastinate or just bored.

When I eat this way I actually feel "normal" like the way I pictured other people who do not think about food, & weight loss 24 hrs a day. It's amazing.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri May 01, 2009 2:31 pm

I think of it as healing... both physically and mentally.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri May 01, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm sorry to say that NoS doesn't have that affect on me... I'm always thinking about the next meal.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri May 01, 2009 3:08 pm

~reneew wrote:I think of it as healing... both physically and mentally.
Definitely! I'm almost afraid to say it, for fear of getting too excited too soon, but I noticed I felt a lot less stressed than usual yesterday. A couple of things happened that would normally have made my stomach clench up in knots, but I just breathed, noticed it, and felt okay. I guess when your stress level goes down somewhat, you don't go over the top as easily.
Reinhard wrote:I think most people on No-s wind up thinking less about food in a negative, anxious way, but MORE about it in a positive, "mindful" way:
Last night I watched one of those "Food Paradise" shows on the Travel Channel and realized I could eat ANY of those things if I wanted to. It was fun! I used to watch and wonder how all those people ate that food and stayed so slim, and how come I couldn't do the same.

lindalou

Post by lindalou » Sun May 03, 2009 12:20 am

I also don't think about food anymore. But that did not happen over night It took about four weeks.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun May 03, 2009 1:42 am

It took me about 7 months, but it is happening. I even forgot to eat lunch twice!
Kathleen

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:47 am

I used to plan one meal while I was in the process of eating a meal. Unbelievable!
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sun May 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Well, yesterday was my first weekend day. It was horrible. I didn't eat a bit until two o'clock, then I ate some potato chips, baked beans, cheesecake, Drank a glass of Diet Dr Pepper, ate some more chips, drank a glass of wine.

Went to bed, felt awful.

Got up, weighed, gained a pound.

Think I will eat three nomal meals today, even tho it is a Sunday. Don't feel like any sweets, snacks or seconds.

Thanks to this site.

SUE