Sushi, cooking and other questions...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

drswife

Sushi, cooking and other questions...

Post by drswife » Sat May 02, 2009 6:34 am

Okay so I'm five days in...all green days--yay! But went to sushi the other night and wasnt sure how to handle it since everything comes a lil bit at a time on many lil plates. I go to sushi quite a bit and dont want to have to call attention to myself like doing something weird like ask for a big plate and put all my sushi on there. I ended up just estimating the amount I thought would be on a plate and eating that much.

The other thing that is hard for me is that I love to cook and do so often. The problem is that at culinary school they always taught us to taste, taste taste to make sure it was right so was wondering how to incorporate that concept into my NoS diet.

Okay im really tired and rambling but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on those issues.

thx!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 02, 2009 10:00 am

I would have done what you did with the sushi.

I do taste when I cook, but mostly for seasoning towards the end of cooking. And a taste is just that -- just a little for taste.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sat May 02, 2009 4:06 pm

I also do a lot of cooking on a daily basis. I look at "tasting" as part of my "job description," so it is not a "failure" as far as I'm concerned. I think it took me a full month to learn new "tasting" habits while cooking--prior to NoS, I tasted by eating while cooking.

The trick is really to take just a taste--a *small* bit of broth/sauce to correct seasoning (for example), not a big spoonful with all the goodies. I also started training myself to use a fork for testing whether veggies/pasta are done rather than nibbling on a piece to tell.

After 10 months of NoSing, if I taste too much while making dinner, I'm too full to sit down and enjoy my dinner.

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Sat May 02, 2009 6:04 pm

I think you are doing great. I'd have done exactly what you did on the sushi. And I also cook at home all the time and do permit myself a very small taste here and there while cooking; there's really no choice sometimes. But I know the difference between a taste and actually eating the dish while cooking it. I've certainly done the latter in the past . . .