Keeping up with posts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

butterfly1000

Keeping up with posts

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:04 pm

I was just wondering, do all of you manage to read all the posts on a daily basis?

I've been trying to read them all, as well as respond to some, but I can't keep up. There are so many (which is great because it means a lot of member participation), but I lack time. Sometimes I go online and tell myself that I'll just spend 10 minutes, but the 10 minutes ends up being 30 minutes or more at a time. I enjoy reading them, and I benefit from the members' comments and experiences, but I'm going to have to reduce the time I spend on -- maybe I should go on just once a day -- but I find that it's become like an addiction where I'm tempted to go on several times a day (why not! another addiction in addition to food. LOL).

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah, but we're not fattening!

:D

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:28 am

I go in spurts. I've been all over the boards today, but barely posted for days before.

And I think it's okay not to read it all. I do read most of the general board, but read only selected daily threads (other than my own). I tend to read the threads of people I especially like, or that have said something friendly on my thread... and I don't read them every day. You can read a week's worth in a short time. "Clustering" threads to read makes reading time more efficient.

When I think I'm spending too much time here, I make a plan to cut back. Nothing quite so stringent as Reinhard's "Weekend Luddite" (though you may want to look at that), but just setting a timer every time I get on, or listing what I have to do first (so it's a reward), or whatever. The strategy varies.

And I should probably implement some strategy now. ;)

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:35 am

StrawberryRoan wrote:Yeah, but we're not fattening!

:D
Very true! :D

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 am

I try to post frequently (tho this is the 2nd week since I've recommitted for the umpteenth time lol) as I can but if I don't have time I don't.
I love the support of others and try to reciprocate as best I can.

I do try to get on a few times a day, especially after meals to record what I've eaten, and to stay mindful of my eating.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:57 am

I just read anything that looks interesting. I only post if I have something to say (this post may disprove that last).
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:04 pm

ThomsonsPier wrote:(this post may disprove that last).
:lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:33 pm

but I'm going to have to reduce the time I spend on -- maybe I should go on just once a day -- but I find that it's become like an addiction where I'm tempted to go on several times a day (why not! another addiction in addition to food. LOL).
Positively, I have an n-daily task on my punch card to post to the boards once a day. I scan through the latest posts and see what jumps out at me. There's always at least something -- usually far more than I have time to respond to.

Negatively, I have a ceiling of 4 checks of the board (and personal email) per day ("blimit" -- we). I can post then, but usually I just look quickly and see if there's anything I should mull over for my next posting "task." If I spent any time on social networking, I'd probably lump them into the "blimit" as well, but so far the appeal has alluded me (we have a friend who was just fired on account of her facebook profile, further limiting the appeal).

I'd love to be able to respond to every post on this board, but I know that if I want to continue running these boards for years to come, I have to pace myself.

Much as I love how involved a crowd we have here, that's probably about as much as anyone should be around. No question, it can quickly get unhealthy if you check much more. As with any of other habits we discuss here, you want to get into a long term sustainable rhythm. Moderate web use can be a great thing. But if you're having trouble being instinctively moderate, a little system can be very helpful.

Reinhard

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:22 am

During the N days I usually just leave it on and when I feel tempted, I go on for a bit. There is no way one could read them all. Occasionally when I am in need of a break and have some time I am on too long (like the emerald discussion), but I don't watch much t.v. at all, so I guess it's a wash.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:58 am

I consider my "Daily Post" thread sort of personal and don't expect anyone else to read it, although I don't mind if they do ...

As for the general posts, I follow the "Post since your last visit" avidly ... there is always something useful or motivating. I try to be efficient about scanning through the posts, and it does take a bit of time, but the ratio of great tips and thoughts vs time spent has pretty much worked out in my favor. I am truly amazed at what a wonderful and supportive community the No-S boards are.

I check first thing in the morning (to post my thoughts from yesterday), again at noon, and then later in the evening if I have time. Obsessive? Because I get so much out of it, I don't think so. I think you have to decide how much help you personally are getting vs the amount of time you spend on the No-S boards. Sort of the same thing about moderation in eating -- assess the benefits?

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 pm

I tend to follow the same *three-a-day* system that Winnie does...and I too don't think of it as obsessive because I get SO MUCH out of everyone's posts. But I agree - you can't read everything!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

la_loser

No S New Entries as Home Page

Post by la_loser » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:52 pm

I too try to keep up, particularly with the No S General Discussion threads and with the Daily Check-ins not so much. I have my No S site set to keep me logged in all the time - I'm the only one that uses my laptop - so once I logged in and clicked on the "view new entries since last log-in" or however it's written on the right side of the top of the General Bulletin Board page. Then I set that page as my Home Page on my browser. I can easily scroll down and see which entries I want to check out. It also keeps NO S right out there so I'm always reminded of it! No escaping! Or you could make it a bookmark (the new entries page) rather than the main site. You can always click on the main site at the top.

The nice thing about that is that it actually takes you right to the bottom of the thread so you don't have to go all the way up and start over.

Although I shovelglove, I'm not as gung-ho and don't feel the need to get all creative with my moves-I'm just pleased that I do it. . . so I don't read those threads often.

I've even got it as a Home Screen Icon on my iPod Touch so if I'm killing time somewhere that there is WiFi, I can catch up.

Also I've found that when there is something I'm wondering about or know that I've seen a topic somewhere, I use the Search at the top of the page and put in some key words and I find all kinds of good stuff.

Good luck.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Well, I have the General Discussion page in my Favorite file and I stay logged on so I can do a quick check whenever I want, sometimes respond if there are new posts. Altho I had forgotten for almost a month (couldn't remember where it was, I now click on the Index and go back to the Daily check in each morning as well)

I spent one night when I had spare time going back through a lot of the old threads, learned a lot.

I am the only one on my laptop as well so that's not an issue.

:wink:

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:41 am

mimi wrote:I tend to follow the same *three-a-day* system that Winnie does...and I too don't think of it as obsessive because I get SO MUCH out of everyone's posts. But I agree - you can't read everything!

Mimi :D
It's true that we get so much out of everyone's posts, which is why I was trying to read everything -- I didn't want to miss anything. However, I realize that I don't have time to read all posts, so I try to just go through the list quickly and only read a few in detail.