Idle Time

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Idle Time

Post by Over43 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:31 am

This may have come up. But my need to snack increases exponentially if I have idle time, sitting in front of the tube (but interestingly, not in front of the computer), or if I don't keep busy. I'm teaching summer school so the need to snack has decreased, but when I'm done and have taht 6 weeks off, aye...

J.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:38 pm

I don't watch TV during the day but a number of years ago, my DH and I had gotten in the habit of snacking at night, while watching TV. When I decided that I didn't want to do that it anymore, it helped to do something (knit, scrapbook, write a letter, surf the web, march in place, lift weights, etc) during that time. It also helped to have a drink (water or herbal tea) on hand. If I found that I still had an urge to snack, I would opt to do another activity instead of TV watching. Over time, snacking while watching TVC or snacking after dinnertime just wasn't something that I did/do.

If I'm keeping a journal, like my check-in here, I like to write/post about my day within a couple of hours of dinner if I'm home. That "seals the deal" for me, my eating for the day is done.

Good luck & hope you have a wonderful break! :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Even working with a stress ball that you rotate from hand to hand - or squeezing on Silly Putty...main thing is to keep your hands busy as sophiasapientia also mentioned. I have tried both and found them to be helpful. Since I got a laptop, I keep my hands busy that way since I'm not a big TV fan anyway.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm pretty sure most of my weight loss is the result of not eating after dinner, while watching TV, or while reading.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:47 pm

My wife bought me a jigsaw puzzle. So I watch baseball in the evening, sip club soda, and do the puzzle. It keeps my mind occupied.

J.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

marleah

Post by marleah » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Me too! Eating during TV time or watching a movie was big for me. Instead, I always have a crochet project that I can work on (lots of my friends are having babies here recently, so I have been the baby blanket queen) that keeps my hands busy. There's added incentive to not eat because I can't get the yarn all foody!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:34 am

Crocheting helps me. Just small projects like dishclothes and stuffed animals. I have a problem with wanting to munch while I read. And I LOVE to read! Been popping a piece of minty gum in my mouth now before I settle down with my books. Or make some herbal tea.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0