Wild Weight Gain on No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Marianna

Wild Weight Gain on No S

Post by Marianna » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:54 pm

I came to No S from a low carb diet. I have done a good job of sticking to the guidelines, I eat 3 times daily, S's only on Friday and Saturday. I think I have gained 15 pounds in the last three months since starting. Obviously my body breaks out in fat in response even to moderate carbs. I am unwilling to go back to a lowcarb diet, but I am modifying my diet so that I am eating my carbs at dinner (whole foods) and no more sweets. I can't tell you how sad this is making me. I really had hopes that NoS would normalize things for me. I am making an appointment with my endocrinologist to make sure my hypothyroidism isn't acting up--but I suspect I am simply extremely carb sensitive, because in the last week since going back to lowcarb days, I can feel that I have started to slim down a bit. This is all so counter to the premise that we can eat like normal people if we don't snack etc. Any thoughts? Observations I might have overlooked? I appreciate this group so much.

Marianna

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:27 pm

I am very sorry to hear this, Marianna.

I don't know how obvious it is that carbs are the culprit, but I guess it's possible. Your doctor would certainly be able to advise you better on that than I could. Before carbs, I would suspect simple excess. Do you notice that excess is still creeping in somewhere? Are your plates still pretty enormous? Are your S-days "wild?" The fact that your input opportunities are limited should make this relatively easy to diagnose. But of course, do consult your doctor.

If you want, it's certainly possible to keep aspects of no-s (or even all of no-s) and do it in conjunction with some form of low carb. If you do this, you might want to start with a very small change, as with any mod. Give it a month, see what happens, then tweak again as necessary. It sounds like this is what you've started doing. If it works (and it's going to take time to assess this), and you find it gives you many of the psychological benefits of no-s, then it could turn out to be a great solution. Don't be sad if you have to add a few sprinkles to vanilla no-s. It would have been convenient if vanilla no-s did the trick for you, but moderation is the deeper issue, no-s is just a particular implementation of this general principle. If a slightly different implementation gets you there, that's just as good. And you should feel proud that you had the discipline to stick with it and build some good habits -- that's worth something in itself. That will make these next steps much easier.

Best wishes and looking forward to hearing more,

Reinhard

deadweight

Post by deadweight » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Marianna,

A couple things.

First, I'm of the opinion that your weight when you're on a low-carb diet isn't really your weight, anymore than the measurement of your waistline when you're sucking in your gut is the measure of your real waistline. There's a reason why high-school wrestlers will move to a low-carb diet when they need to cut weight before a match -- it's a great temporary solution.

So when you started on No-S, some of that weight gain, or maybe even all of it, is going to be a result of the somewhat artificial weight loss that low-carb diets provide.

The second issue is that you can definitely overeat on No-S. I think the first step of No-S is getting used to the rules and structure. The second step is to make better choices within that structure and that takes time.

If you honestly feel like you were eating like a healthy, normal person while you were on No-S, and you still gained weight, then you must have a medical condition. Because no healthy person can eat a moderate amount of calories and gain weight.

I doubt the issue is "carb sensitivity," mainly because that's kind of a made-up diet-book issue. Ask people in a famine stricken region who are existing on rice and grain how "carb sensitive" they are. Magically, that issue doesn't affect them.

Now, if by "carb sensitive" you mean "I like to eat potato chips by the metric ton," then I can completely identify with that. But I don't know that going low-carb is the answer to that either. If so... what's the plan? To eat low-carb the rest of your life? To never learn to eat pizza, or fries or other "bad" foods in moderation? I'm not sure that's a great plan.

I am speaking from experience. I've tried every fad diet I could find (quite literally, I wrote a blog about it thefaddist.com). And I've seen how my body reacts to different types of foods. Low-carb has always been quick loss and quick gain back. Eating regular food, just less of it, has led to a slower loss but much more difficult to gain back (even when I was trying to -- long story).

Anyway, good luck with whatever path you choose.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:04 pm

just to be clear, I have no intention of giving up NoS. It really makes me feel good to eat like this--that part of things has normalized for me.

In terms of excess--I have documented my food intake daily for 5 years, so I have an excellent idea of how many calories etc I am taking in. I believe that sadly I am eating too many calories/carbs despite the fact that I am usually below 1500 per day. I am a 54 yo hypothyroid woman who has been in menopause since i was 35. I also exercise daily. This is not a case of needing to eat more to actually lose--been there tried that!

I think the point Deadweight makes is a good one. It is indeed possible that eating like a "normal person" has sent me back up to some kind of setpoint weight--and maybe after a year or so I would slowly move back down with vanilla nos. I guess I would have to admit that I can't tolerate that. This weight feels just terrible to me. So, for the time being I will stick to NoS with some mods--and see what happens. I've read every post on this board, so I do know that some of us do need mods of some kind sometimes.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:10 pm

I hear ya.

Having been a member of CalorieCountPlus for a few years, I constantly hear the mantra about lowering your calories will cause your body to go into starvation mode, etc.

Well, if I ate 1800 calories or so as they suggest (based on my exercise level), I would be very overweight.

1200 is more than enough, I am at my goal weight thanks to this site and am very very content. I am sixty years old so that probably is a factor in my case as well.

I say to adjust your diet to what you feel comfortable with, as long as you are maintaining your health. A visit to your doctor will probably give you great insight.

Good luck,

Berry :wink:

Eta, I do know that if I eat carbs early in the day - I just don't stop eating.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm curious Marianna -- what's your height and weight?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:34 pm

5'5" and I am afraid to get on the scale--I would predict 190 from the way my clothes are fitting--

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:04 pm

I am about your height, 5'4 or 5'5 - depending on the person measuring.

I weighed 162 on Dec 31, 2007 - joined Calorie Count the next day January 1, 2008. Did very well, got down to 138 by Thanksgiving 2008. Had a major setback in February this year - husband was hospitalized twice for 15 days total, all heck broke loose with my very being. I didn't leave his side and had no way to exercise or any decent food. LIved out of vending machines because I was too nervous to eat real food. Excuses probably but I got up to 154 by April 27. Joined here the next day and got back to my goal weigh of 140 by June 10th.

Have maintained easily since. Weigh 137 today. At my age, I cannot weigh much less or it shows up in my face/neck, etc. I exercise a LOT so have muscle weight which makes me very comfortable at this level.

The reason I am posting this is that we are about the same stats.

I say, step on the scale. Knowledge is power. I find charting the daily weight has kept me VERY honest.

Berry :roll:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:18 pm

deadweight wrote:
I doubt the issue is "carb sensitivity," mainly because that's kind of a made-up diet-book issue. Ask people in a famine stricken region who are existing on rice and grain how "carb sensitive" they are. Magically, that issue doesn't affect them.
I agree. Most cultures around the world base their diets on carbs -- including the dreaded "white stuff" -- and don't have problems with carb sensitivity or weight.

I've read that the first weight lost on a low carb diet, and the first weight regained when you go off it, is water weight.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 am

Just a quick thought on two possible things that could help you out:

1. Possibly look at consuming some metabolism boosting foods. Chilli and other spices come to mind. They are super tasty to add to meals too :)

2. Specific exercising that will build muscle mass. A bit of extra muscle is always good to have and the weight bearing exercise will strengthen your bones as well. The extra muscle raises the basal metabolic rate so you will burn more every hour of every day.

These may help you without having to drastically modify your eating. If any of these interest you I can provide much more detailed information about the how and why.

Good luck and remember we are all here for you. :)

tarantinofan

Post by tarantinofan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:41 am

I am so sorry to hear that Marianna. I would really recommend you do a few things:

1) check out your plate size. Are you eating on a normal-sized dinner plate?
2) divide your plate at most of your meals to get all the nutrients you need: 1/4 lean protein; 1/4 carbs like bread; 1/2 fruit and veggies. This isn't an exact science, but if you try to follow these fractions at most of your meals, your meals should be well-balanced and satisfying.
3) Do you have crazy S days? I am just on my third week, but I like the idea of having more set S events than just a whole day of excess. Try limiting yourself to 2 or 3 S's per S day.
4) Do you exercise? Have you altered your exercise levels significantly?
5) Do you eat at restaurants a lot? Their plate sizes/portions tend to be much bigger than you need.

Any way, I hope this helps. I think #2 will really pump things up for you. If you're already pretty much doing what I have said, then I would definitely leave it up to a professional who knows much more than I do...

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Thank you for the help everyone. I weighed myself, and while it wasn't pretty, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have gained 7 pounds since starting no S and I have gained 20 pounds since stopping a previous very low fat low carb diet. Continued weight gain is unacceptable to me.

My plate size is good--truly I am not violating the NoS rules at all, and I have an intense workout regime. I have some metabolic issues, and like Bright Angel and Strawberry Roan I am having to wake up and smell the coffee and realize how I personally at a menopausal age have to handle my body and my food. I did have some wild S days up front, which I am sure contributed to the problem.

I've made an appt with my endo to check things out. It has been too long. I have been hypothyroid since I was 25. I am just having to come to terms with the fact that I have to eat lightly and my S days may mean a dessert once in awhile if I am out to dinner. There is a bell curve and I am an outlier. I get it now.

i love No S and the three meals a day have removed lots of food obsessiveness for me. I don't binge anymore and I love the feeling that when my one plate is done I am done. Even on S days (er, my former S days) three meals and no snacking just felt right. I guess I just have to accept that I gain weight extremely easily, especially if I go for the carby stuff.

You have all been so so helpful.

Mariannna

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Marianna wrote:My plate size is good--truly I am not violating the NoS rules at all, and I have an intense workout regime. I have some metabolic issues, and like Bright Angel and Strawberry Roan I am having to wake up and smell the coffee and realize how I personally at a menopausal age have to handle my body and my food.

I am just having to come to terms with the fact that I have to eat lightly and my S days may mean a dessert once in awhile if I am out to dinner. There is a bell curve and I am an outlier. I get it now.

I guess I just have to accept that I gain weight extremely easily, especially if I go for the carby stuff.
Congratulations, Marianne for insight gained.
It is so hard to Accept such an Unwelcome Concept.
Even halfway through my 4th year in Maintenance,
sometimes I just cannot believe how little food my body needs
to stay in my Maintenance Weight Range.
Acceptance of this issue is still a constant struggle for me.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com