Does No-S work for people only slightly overweight?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wannabeslim

Does No-S work for people only slightly overweight?

Post by wannabeslim » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi,

I am a 32 year "dude" and I'm looking to lose about 15-20 lbs. I currently weight around 180 lbs.

I have been doing South Beach diet off and on for the past few years. When I'm in the "on" part, it works great. The first time I did it , I just about reached my goal of 165 lbs. The amazing thing about low carb diets is that the early successes really motivate you to keep it up.

Unfortunately, I found that keeping it up over the long term is almost impossible for me. I slowly drift away until I'm back gorging on crap again.

That is what is appealing to me about this diet - it seems like something I can really sustain as a lifelong eating habit. I just started it about a week and a half ago. I didn't expect to lose any weight in this time (and I haven't) but the transition has been pretty easy for me.

I never really drink soda, snack that much, or eat too many sweets to begin with. So I'm concerned that cutting them out totally may not make any difference at all.

Have people in my type of situation had success? I can see how this would greatly help people with terrible eating habits already - for someone like me, with moderate eating habits, and not drastically overweight, has it been known to work?

Thanks everyone. This seems like a great board and I'm looking forward to reading more.

~WBS

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:18 am

I never really drink soda, snack that much, or eat too many sweets to begin with. So I'm concerned that cutting them out totally may not make any difference at all.
Hi wannabeslim - and welcome! If the above is true, then you are probably needing some moderation at meal times - in other words, no seconds, thirds, etc. and no piling your plate sky high! If sweets, snacks, and sodas are not a problem for you, then something else is causing your weight to slowly creep up. It could be eating too much at mealtimes. NoS can solve that problem for you - and very nicely, I might add. If you aren't already exercising, you might also want to try increasing your movement along with monitoring your intake at meals.
Just some suggestions. You are so right in thinking that NoS is something you can sustain for a lifetime - it is!
Good luck!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:56 am

Hi Wannabeslim & welcome!

Yes, No S can definitely work for those who don't have as much to lose. I started No S within healthy limits for my height/BMI but at the upper range of that (so I too wanted to lose between 15-20 lbs) ... I'm about 7 weeks into No S and have probably averaged about 1 lb a week loss, give or take. That's with moderate daily exercise, a week long vacation with tons of eating out and 2 moderate but enjoyable S days a week. The pounds aren't coming off as quickly as low carb (I've done that too) but they are coming off in a way that is sustainable. I don't feel like I'm on some "weird diet" and I get to treat myself to seconds, snacks or sweets every weekend. :D

la_loser

Just the ticket!

Post by la_loser » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:10 am

Welcome to No S.

I suspect that No S will be just the ticket for you. You said you've done ok in the past until you. . .
I slowly drift away until I'm back gorging on crap again.
No S is going to steer you away from gorging on that crap! So although you don't think that snacks and sweets are the problem, I'm guessing that from what you've said, that you do tend to eat them when you're not "in diet" mode.

The structure of No S gives you simple rules to avoid falling into those traps. . . and allowing the freedom to enjoy them sometimes on days that start with S. . . Sounds too simple to be true--but it works.

Good luck.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

tarantinofan

Post by tarantinofan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi! Welcome to the forums! I actually started the diet very close to my ideal (my starting weight was 134.5 and my BMI was around 22), so I think you could definitely lose weight with being slightly overweight. I've already lost around 4 pounds since starting June 29th, so I think it could be great for someone in your situation as well. Anyway, good luck to you!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:28 pm

No is is definitely geared more to a sustainable "good enough" than to fine tuned perfection, but you may be pleasantly surprised (as others have already posted here) at what a little systematic moderation can do. And if nothing else, No-s is a great, sane platform from which to base further efforts if you want to go that extra mile.

Reinhard

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Yes, working well for me.

Actually having little problems maintaining (quickly got to my goal weight on this plan).

If anything, I might try to gain a pound or two.

:roll:

Gia

Post by Gia » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:13 pm

cute post strawberry!

TWO Q:
1) How long did it take you to get to your goal if you were "slightly overweight"?

2) Any modifications? e.g. exercising daily, low carb etc.