Back from Vacation . . . the good and the bad.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mounted Ranger!

Back from Vacation . . . the good and the bad.

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm not the one who posted asking for tips for vacationing No S stye but I would have if s/he hadn't. I was actually logging on to ask the same question when I saw it already posted! 8)

So, I'm back.

Before I left I thought about how I would do everything and decided to No-S on vacation the same way I do it at home: regular ol' No S, range and shovel everyday regardless of location. The only vacation mod I decided on was to eat off whatever restaurant plate I got and try to eat a reasonable amount.

Well . . .

I had no problem staying with three meals, no snacks. Some of my plates were indeed large but I tried to visualize my 8 inch and eat somewhere in that volume neighborhood. Great!

As for ranging, I did not keep it up. I tried hard (and did) for the first few days but then it became too complicated to stick to.

Shovelgloving: this is the strange thing. I actually took Sledgie (my daughter's affectionate name for my sledgehammer) but found myself unwilling to shovelglove in front of my husband. :oops: If you're thinking that's just silly, I agree. There it is, though.

If I had planned to make vacation days exempt, I probably could have been happy with that but since I did actually make the plan to stay on, I'm counting them as failures.

I'm glad about No S-ing, though. I lost a pound. :wink:
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Sounds to me like you managed better than I did! I only managed N days on 4 of the seven so good for you! I know what you mean about exercise in front of others, but you managed to lose a pound anyhow which is brilliant I think!
Dolly
Start weight: 160 pounds
Current weight: 159 pounds
Target weight: 148 pounds/ <30% body fat/BMI 23

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:04 pm

I agree, well done.

I also understand the reluctance about the exercising in front of hubby.

:wink:

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:48 pm

I'm not the one who posted asking for tips for vacationing No S stye but I would have if s/he hadn't.
That was me, and I'm glad I did! Glad it helped you too Mounted Ranger! It turned out well for me, although my plan was a little different from yours. I decided to follow basic NoS and allow myself one S-worthy treat each day, if the occasion arose. On four of the vacation days it did! We did LOTS of rangering, so I was okay in the exercise department. Won't know about weight loss for July until I weigh on August 1.
Shovelgloving: this is the strange thing. I actually took Sledgie (my daughter's affectionate name for my sledgehammer) but found myself unwilling to shovelglove in front of my husband.
I completely understand here! There are certain things I won't do in front of my husband too! One of them is practice the piano!! At least you maintained the bigger part of your vacation plan and lost a pound. Bravo for you!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

masher

Post by masher » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Thank you all for reporting on your vacation strategies. I am planning to reach my 21st consecutive day of NoS'ing tomorrow so am getting into the swing of it. I love it. It works. But I am either at home now or in neighbourhood restaurants. However, we leave for France in mid-August and I am thinking about what I can do for 3 weeks away.

The end of the break is in a hotel, so will be easy peasy. My husband and I go to local restos and I can order one main course. Their desserts are not to my liking at this place anyway. I am not a big sweet eater.

But we will stay with my sister in law and family for 3-4 days (midweek!), and they will serve 3 course lunches and dinners. They are our hosts and I do not want to be rude. Perhaps skipping desserts (not a problem) and virtual plating will work. The challenge will be at cocktail hour, when we have aperitifs but ....I have no food? We'll be staying in the middle of a noted wine area so I will have a drink.
Sounds risky. Drink before dins but no food.

Ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Masher

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 pm

I keep reading this as "Back from the Vatican." :D
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 am

Wow---I'm impressed with how you did!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Sounds like you did great!

My vacation strategy has changed since I started using the habitcal.

Before, it was a little mushy and ad hoc, a combination of lower standards days, straight up special days, etc.

Now, with the habitcal, (and especially "stats" mode, which counts more than 2 NWS days per month as red for calculating score/personal olympics medals) I have this great incentive not to go too overboard with non-weekend special days, and I feel strange about marking not 100% legitimate success days green. I feel like I can be flexible about calling a vacation day an S-day at any point if we come across something sufficiently irresistible, without having to be afraid that it's going to degenerate into an "s-week" -- because nothing's as sweet as a good looking habitcal.

Reinhard