Ready to get back to it...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

Ready to get back to it...

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:12 am

Hey guys! Hope you haven't been missing my daily check-in. Life has been pretty hectic this past week because I've been transitioning between my apartment at school and my parents' house. Sadly, I have fallen off the wagon in terms of No-S, but not terribly! I have maintained my 7-8lb weightloss, am still eating healthfully (it's in my blood), and trying to keep good stuff in the house. Everything has just been so unstructured that my mealtimes are wacky and No-S compliance has been difficult. I do still 100% believe in the plan though, and it's what I gravitate to when I'm 'off the plan' anyway, so I guess habit really has taken hold somewhat! :)

Also something interesting that has happened, kind of by accident actually, is I've become somewhat vegetarian. I still eat meat occasionally, and I would never resist my craving for a juicy burger, but I just haven't been going out of my way to eat it recently. This is mostly because it's so expensive and I'm a poor college kid, and partly because cooking it myself skeeves me out a little bit. I wasn't a huge meat-eater before hand - usually just a small piece at dinner, or a bit of chicken or turkey at lunch, but other than that I've always eaten a plant-based diet. I bought a vegetarian cookbook last week that is meant for students on a budget, and I've already made 4 things in it. All the ingredients are so cheap and it has become really easy to eat healthfully and make extra for leftovers!

So that's what's been going on with me (not sure if you all care, but I didn't want everyone to think I was a lost cause!) Tomorrow is hectic (I get to go to the DMV because I lost my license at the bar on Friday night...fun times! Maybe I need glass ceiling? Hehe.) Anywho, my mom treated me to a big grocery shopping trip so I can stock my apartment with all the good stuff, so it's back on track, Tuesday for sure!

Hope you all are well and are enjoying your S-days! I'm about to eat some pound cake! :)

Best,
Jocelyn

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:27 am

So that's what's been going on with me (not sure if you all care, but I didn't want everyone to think I was a lost cause!)
I care!!! I've been wondering where you were! I miss your daily check-in..I always liked to look at your menus because they looked so yummy!
Glad to hear you're getting back on track - I remember what it was like to be a poor college student - and that was a loooong time ago! :roll:
What is the title of your new cookbook, by the way? It sounds like something I might like...simple, yummy, and cheap ingredients sounds good to me!
Glad to have you back Jocelyn!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:38 am

Aw, thanks Mimi! You're sweet - your post made me feel missed! The title of the cookbook is Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised by Carole Raymond. I bought it on amazon for around $6 bucks and literally have been glued to it since! So far I've made whole wheat linguine with arugula, which was delicious, fresh-tasting, and even though the serving size says one, it was enough for two! The next day I ate the leftovers with a pear and avocado salad also from the book and a hunk of bread...which was delicious! Followed by an insanely easy and very authentic tasting chocolate pudding, which I loved! Then today, my mom was making tacos for dinner so I offered to whip up some homemade guacomole, since I saw a 3-ingredient recipe in the book, and it too was a hit with my entire family! I really can't wait to try everything else. I've been told by my roommates and friends that I'm a fabulous cook...I question that, but at least now I can do it for cheap!

How are things with you, anyway? Now that I've droned on about myself...;)

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:12 am

Jocelyn, I didn't follow your check-in, but welcome back anyway :) !

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'd recommend a great book called Becoming Vegetarian (it's on Amazon). It is not only one of the best books on the vegetarian lifestyle that I've ever read, it's actually one of the best nutrition books I've ever read. The authors explain, in a non-patronizing tone, the all the important nutrients a vegetarian and vegan need along with other helpful tips and even some recipes.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks for the post Jocelyn. I am a somewhat new vegetarian. I've been doing it for about 8 months and seriously No S ing for 2 months. No S combined (plus some exercise) is doing wonders for me right now. I would love to find that cookbook. If you have a chance, could you post some of your easy and favorite recipes? Cookbooks seem to just stay on my shelf and I always just run to the internet for what I need. Thanks for sharing.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain