I just started- Would love some advice!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JasonT27

I just started- Would love some advice!

Post by JasonT27 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:56 am

Greetings fellow S-dieters!

My name is Jason, and I am 27 years old and from Chicago. I just graduated Columbia College in Chicago with a Bachelor's in Film and a concentration in screenwriting. From there, I did a 3-month internship with the Chicago Tribune- and LOVED it! Aside from being fortunate enough to get bylines, I also learned a lot about being an entertainment reporter. I hope to be a screenwriter one day.

I recently started the No-S diet on Wednesday, August 26, 2009. I have for years been a compulsive eater, and often would eat large quantities of spaghetti and then finish that off with a half gallon of ice cream, all while watching "The Golden Girls" or "I Love Lucy"- yes, I do love these shows! For years I tried to yo-yo diet with popular fad diets, like the Lemonade detox and the chicken and broccoli only fix. But after a few weeks (and sometimes days) I would lose interest, and binge like nobody's business.

The No-S diet spoke wonders for me. Reinhard is a complete genius- and I just purchased his Book as well as fancy pin to stick on my lab coat at work.

I know many of you have been doing this for quite a while. I hope I can ask just a few questions that you might be able to help me with. I will try to check-in weekly on these boards. This, along with the No-S diet website are both bookmarked.

HOW DO YOU DETERMINE 3 SQUARE MEALS WITH RESTAURANTS?

To put it simply, if I go to Subway for lunch- what constitutes as a "full plate"? The 6-inch or footlong? I know many of you are eating healthy meals now, but as a beginner I'm following Reinhard's basic steps of simply making sure you don't go back for seconds or eat sweets on No-s days. In other words, the food may be unhealthy, but its still okay to eat since I'm following the program. But what about when you go out to eat? The plates are often larger. Sometimes (as with Subway) or Cholies Pizza, you aren't served a plate- but rather a container of food.

SO IF I EAT 3 PLATES OF MCDONALD'S A DAY I'M GOING TO LOSE WEIGHT?

Sickening question, but something I've been pondering. I have not been doing this, but based on the rules, as long as you're not eating sweets, I suppose a big mac and fries for breakfast, lunch and dinner would still be less damage to my body then snacking inbetween? Since you're allowed 3 full plates of food of your choice. I'm only asking so I can understand the process. I get the book soon- maybe it will have more details.

CARBS! CARBS! CARBS!

I love carbs! Spaghetti, bagels, macaroni and cheese- I'm a carb nut! Like the question above, we're supposed to be able to enjoy the foods we love in portion. But I still am worried by eating these foods daily, I won't lose weight (today I had two bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, which fit on my plate fine- for lunch alfredo pasta and garlic bread- I couldnt finish the alfredo pasta so I threw it away- it wasn't that good, and for dinner left-over spaghetti). Three square meals, but ALL carbs. Any suggestions? Obviously put some veggies in there, but if the purpose of the N days is to eat what you fancy in limitation, is this breaking and boundaries?

Thank you for any responses! I'm glad I'm a member of the team now! [/b]
jaysont@sbcglobal.net

I used to write for the Chicago Tribune.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:24 am

Welcome! I'm still a newbie myself, but I'll help the best I can. I loved reading about your background!

Question 1: I think I read that someone said a 6 inch sub would constitute a full plate? Maybe if you added a single serving of chips? Or I suppose you could eat a footlong and nothing else.
I've also read that for restaurants that serve really large portions, you should just eat half of it, and that would constitute a full plate. I know I've tried that since starting No S, and I'll leave a restaurant feeling full and satisfied instead of stuffed and miserable.

Question 2: I'm not sure. I suppose you could, in theory, but it definitely wouldn't be as healthy for you.

Question 3: I'm interested to find out more about this, too! I also love my carbs -- although I'm not quite as much of a carb lover as I used to be. I know what works best for me is to balance my carbs with some meat (like spaghetti and meatballs) and some vegetables.

Good luck to you! I'm definitely interested in finding out more about this, too.

JasonT27

Post by JasonT27 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:34 am

Thanks Clarinetgal! (Love your username, btw) Glad you liked my background lol- :D I figure I might as well tell everyone a little something about myself.

The Subway advice helps a lot- and yeah, we should look more into this Carb question. I do read and re-read Reinhard's original online post for No-S diet, which is well put. He basically is telling us to tackle one battle at a time. In other words, first try to just have three square meals a day, whether they be disgusting or not ("that's just part of the educational process" as he wonderfully states). I just know that I'm a carb fan for life, and since this diet is meant for life, I am trying to consume them without gaining too much weight.
jaysont@sbcglobal.net

DaveMc

Re: I just started- Would love some advice!

Post by DaveMc » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:28 am

JasonT27 wrote:SO IF I EAT 3 PLATES OF MCDONALD'S A DAY I'M GOING TO LOSE WEIGHT?
Well, from what I can find online, a Big Mac has about 575 calories, so if you ate three of those a day you'd be at 1725 calories, which is well below what you probably burn in a day (in the mid-2000s for a moderately active male). Add medium fries to each of those (380 calories), and you're on your own, unless you cycle to Belgium every evening. :)

However, all of that is pretty much against the whole NoS philosophy: the whole point here is *not* to need to keep track of calories. It's true that under NoS you *could* eat at McDonald's three times a day and not be violating any rules, but the hope is that when you've only got three meals a day to work with, you'll eventually start to think, "Do I really want all of them to be *this*?" After a while, most people find they're not satisfied with that style of eating. So there's actually a sort of hidden caveat in the NoS rules: it actually implies three "reasonable" meals a day. I think the idea is that this doesn't need to be an explicit part of the rules, because it tends to happen naturally when you start to eat three square (another code word for "reasonable", I guess) meals a day.

Re: carbs. It's interesting that this community is, in general, less fearful of carbs than the rest of North America seems to be, right now. (I've lost track, are we *not* afraid of fat any more, or are we now afraid of fat *and* carbs?) I share this view, myself: I don't think the problem is that we eat carbs, it's that we (in North America especially) just eat too much of everything. Eat some meat and some veggies once in a while, and I think you'll be fine! (One of my favourite meals is pasta with some sort of doctored-up tomato-based sauce (ground beef, mushrooms, onions, extra tomatoes) -- lots of carbs, but I'm getting some meat and vegetables in there, too. I eat it without guilt.) By cutting out sugar during the week, you're likely cutting way down on your carb intake, in any case (I know I did: snacking on sugary things was my big problem).

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Jason,

#1: Virtual Plate: Use your imagination to put the 6" sub on an imaginary plate. Fit's pretty good eh? I think so. Now the footlong... doh! it hangs over the edge! Ok, how about if I imagine it cut in half and placed side by side on a plate? hmmm, well, in my mind it fit's ok... but to me the plate's pretty darn full, AND aren't I really having SECONDS of the 6" sub? That's how I think of it. The 6" is really a fine serving size.

#2: You know that you won't lose weight having 3 platefuls of McD's "food". No S is all about moderation, and it's strongly about common sense. I think if you care enough about yourself to try and get in better shape, then you will also care enough to choose a higher percentage of what you know are healthy foods in your diet. Does that mean NO McMeals? naaaah, go ahead, occasionally.

#3: Carbs are NOT the enemy. Oh I think the book goes into this too. Carbs, Fats, Proteins are macronutrients. Our culture goes through cycles of labeling a macronutrient as especially bad, or especially good. When I was young, it was Fats are bad, Carbs good. More recently, it's Protein good, Carbs bad. There's a long history of this. And no obsession over any macronutrient has ever shown to be the answer. So get macronutrient restriction out of your head. You like carbs? Enjoy! I'll bet that you still get a decent amount of the other 2 macronutrients in your diet as well. Personally, I'd steer myself toward higher quality carbs like multi-grain pastas, etc. But you know, I think Reinhard would say just worry about building the habits...

Finally, I'd like you to read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. I really think anyone who eats should read this! :wink:
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi there and welcome. Best of luck on your healthy journey.

I think, in the beginning, just stick to the rules.

No snacks, no sweets, no seconds except on S days.

Once you calms these demons, concentrate on making the food that you DO eat the very best that you can give your body.

As a young person with wonderful goals stated, you deserve to treat your body this way.

Our country abounds with healthy choices, no need to settle for less.

SR :wink:

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:23 pm

As usual, excellent advice from 'Berry! Succinct too!

I'm so dang wordy sometimes... :?
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:30 pm

I have to say that I would recommend actual plating the meal to see it. I think as newbies, this is more helpful and revealing. I have plated some of my favorite restaurant meals and smoothies, et c. and been suprised at the results. Sometimes I'm shocked at how little fits on a plate and sometimes at how much.

I suggest getting a six inch and some chips to go and take it home. Get out your plate and arrange it. If it doesnt' fill up the plate, add on some fruit, veggies, or whatever you like. If it's too big for the plate or if you want some other stuff besides the sandwich, cut it in half (1/4, whatever) and plate it with whatever you want.

You can adjust from there. Next time you'll know what fits on your plate and you can just virtual plate from then on. However, I do recommend eating of a nice plate whenever possible, even if it's take-out.

Good luck!
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:53 pm

!. A 12" sub will fit on a plate along with a single serving of chips. I've done it.

2. Depending on what you eat at McDonald's -- yea, you could eat there 3x/day and lose weight. You may sacrifice health, though.

3. We're so carb-phobic in the U.S. The Asians eat rice at every meal, many (most?) Italians eat pasta daily and the French are enamored of bread and potatoes. The biggest difference is that all of those people eat those carbs along with vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains and small amounts of meat and fish. I quoted Frank Bruni in a post yesterday: "The Italians love food, but it's not all-you-can-eat. It's one lamb chop and some potatoes. They don't supersize." Neither do the French or Asians. The plates full of pasta (with piles of cheese on top, too!) that we're so fond of are unheard of there.

Here's what one commenter said on the "What is 'Normal' Eating" blog entry:

I am Asian and grew up in Asia. For me, “normal†meals consisted of a bowl of rice or noodles (not too large a portion), one side of veggies and one side of meat. I have a sweet tooth, so I can dessert everyday (but not too much of it).

See my post "Rice" http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5363

Everything in moderation!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:12 pm

wosnes wrote:Everything in moderation!
One of my favourite quotes: "Everything in moderation, including excess." I can't seem to find who said it, though.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:42 pm

That's most often credited to Socrates, sometimes Aristotle. Though it's well accepted that the idea of moderation was widespread even in those times.

I love ancient greek philosophy. (I may not KNOW much of it, but I greatly admire the bits I do know...)
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:47 pm

I found another good one from yet another ancient greek philosopher:
Democritus: “Throw moderation to the winds, and the greatest pleasures bring the greatest pains.â€
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Film dude,

I have found that on this "diet" 1) breakfast is the most important meal of the day. No joke. And I don't mean a Slim-fast shake, or a bowl of Capn'Crunch, I mean a breakfast that is going to keep you full, i.e. eggs, sausage, wheat toast, oj, a big bowl of oatmeal (if you can stand it). And so forth. 2) Lunch, a substantial lunch helps you get through the afternoon "I need a snack!" Usually I eat whole wheat sandwiches (roast beef, ham, etc.), or drink a pint of a protein drink: 6 oz. of yogurt, 8 oz. of milk, a scoop of protein, add a banana or a nectarine, strawberries, etc. 3) Dinner. During dinner I try to make that the meal with the least amount of carbs. So I'll eat a steak and salad, maybe a good sized burger (on a bun) coleslaw, and milk, or a diet drink. Occassionally I'll make spaghetti sauce in the crock pot w/ Italian sausage and put is on angel hair pasta, or whole wheat pasta.

Keep "hydrated", although studies are showing that the 8- 8 oz. of water a day don't seem to facilitate weightloss. But, from what I've found, water or a Diet Rite keeps my mouth busy.

Then keep busy. At lunch, walk if you can, find some form of resistance training. Reinhard is a genius and the shovelglove works for many, I have a tender lower back so I use either a Soloflex Weight Machine, or I use a new version of the Bullowrker (Steel Bow). But even something as simple, and "free" as push ups, deep knee bends (hindu squats), and sit ups will facilitate your muscle tonus quite nicely.

Good Luck

Jon
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Can someone remind me of how to plate a smoothie or a glass of juice? Can you just put the glass/smoothie cup on your plate and do it that way? I know there was a thread about this, but I don't remember what it was called.
Over43, I make dinner my lowest carb meal of the day, too. The reason I do this is I discovered if I sweets or too many carbs too late at night, I don't sleep well.

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:54 pm

I plated my smoothie and this is the why and how.

For why, I really felt that a smoothie is more than an drink but not quite filling enough as a meal alone. I wanted something like a smoothie and toast with peanut butter or something.

This is what I did:
First of all I use an 8 inch plate. My smoothie ingredients are greek yogurt, a banana, frozen fruit, enough juice for a nice smoothie consistency. I just considered the juice a drink and didn't plate it but didn't use more that 6 ounces for that first "plating." I simply put everything else on the plate and put enough to fill out my plate nicely. I then put it all in the jar and blended it all up. It made a huge smoothie! What I found out here was that a huge smoothie was more like a meal but that if I had what I consider a regular size smoothie, I would feel comfortable having that with a piece of toast and peanutbutter or something. What I actually do is make that huge smoothie and share it with my daughter or freeze some as popcicles.

for me, it was a very revealing exercise and now I feel comfortable having a yummy meal I had been denying myself b/c I just couldn't figure out how "plate" it. i have them all the time now!

And I don't ever plate them anymore.
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:16 pm

I'd never "plated" my smoothie, but a smoothie and toast is often breakfast (when I eat breakfast). I just use juice, frozen fruit and yogurt with a little honey, depending on the tartness of the fruit.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Mounted Ranger, That was very helpful. That was my problem with smoothies, too; they were never filling enough by themselves to be a whole meal. Thanks!

Wosnes, Thanks!

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:21 am

Yeah, it all depends on the number of calories you eat ... you could eat nothing but chocolate and lose weight, as long as you are burning more calories of course.

I just saw a film about that yesterday .. it was called "FAT HEAD" (2009) The man in the documentary ate only fast food for a month and lost 12-14 pounds I believe. He ate around 2,000 calories everyday and did mild exercise (walking the dog for 30-40 minutes nearly every day)

It must have been hell but he did it. McD, KFC, Burger King, Taco Bell .. rinse and repeat for every single meal.

Lots of fat, salt and sugar ... but the total number of calories for the day was always reasonable (he must have been really hungry though, since the portions were often tiny)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:21 pm

The guy in the film had the willpower to maintain intake of a certain calorie count, and he put in the effort to carefully choose foods to fill that count, and he chose fast foods to do it? That's just nuts! He could've chosen healthy real food to fill that calorie count!

Getting fit isn't just about losing weight. Why would anyone subject themselves to the self-torture of eating nothing but fast food? It doesn't do you any good to be 'skinny' yet have a body full of toxins and salt, blood vessels lined with plaque, the whole skinny machine creaking to an early death. It would be better to stay fatter with healthy body systems.

You could say that alcohol has x number of calories, so why not try just drinking 1800 calories in booze? Because booze, like fast 'food' is not food.

So, stay away from booze, McD's etc, as much as you can.

(or not, this is just my opinion, blah de blah de blah and other legaleze...) :roll:
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress

JasonT27

Post by JasonT27 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Thank you everyone for the excellent advice. I had my first experience with S days this past weekend. Hmmm, I'm very glad I bought Reinhard's book because it goes into much more detail on the S day issue. I ate a bit on Sunday since I went to Six Flags, Great America- I had a burrito and big cinnamon roll for breakfast, and then we didn't have time for lunch because we were riding roller-coasters till 7pm, and then I had a Large Size Burger King meal. I felt full at the end, but a tad guilty. But then I realized that you should just be on your S days and eat what you want. If that means eating a hell of a lot, so be it. I guess what worries me more is the fact that I don't sometimes feel the hunger to eat on S days the crap I'm allowed to eat, but find that I will eat it anyways BECAUSE it's an S day. Silly, huh? I'll work on it.
jaysont@sbcglobal.net

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:20 am

JasonT27 wrote:I guess what worries me more is the fact that I don't sometimes feel the hunger to eat on S days the crap I'm allowed to eat, but find that I will eat it anyways BECAUSE it's an S day.
That hesitation is the beginning of a very helpful impulse. Eventually you'll probably find that you won't feel the need to fill up on "crap" on S-days, and instead you can concentrate on eating something special that you genuinely enjoy. I think what you're feeling is your N-day habits starting to kick in, and that's what's supposed to happen -- it's what keeps S-days from turning into unbridled orgies of consumption.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:21 am

My first two weekends, I planned ahead what I would splurge on. Both weekends, I found I had planned too much but tried to eat it all anyway. So, I stopped planning and all has gone well since. :D

I don't worry about eating too much on the weekends. I think the less I worry about it, the less likely I will feel like I MUST eat a lot on the weekends. Sometimes I pig out, but other times not much happens. I have even had a Sunday that accidently ended up being an N-day. I didn't plan it that way and I don't expect every Sunday to be that way. It just happened.