Scientists Discover Hunger's Timekeeper

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bookman Old Style

Scientists Discover Hunger's Timekeeper

Post by Bookman Old Style » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:53 pm

Interesting research confirming what I've noticed anecdotally- I'm LESS hungry on N-days, up until a little before regular meal-times.

http://www.physorg.com/news170688849.html

"Researchers at Columbia and Rockefeller Universities have identified cells in the stomach that regulate the release of a hormone associated with appetite. The group is the first to show that these cells, which release a hormone called ghrelin, are controlled by a circadian clock that is set by mealtime patterns."

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks for finding this Bookman. I find this intriguing. Our three regularly scheduled meals can set our hunger clock. BUT isn't it interesting that the response to the research is to try develop a DRUG for dieters!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 am

TexArk wrote:BUT isn't it interesting that the response to the research is to try develop a DRUG for dieters!
You'd think that some bright entrepreneur would figure out a way to market a product that would basically be a meal schedule combined with portion control.

Hmmm....
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

jbettin

Post by jbettin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:19 am

This is encouraging news! I've been back to No-S-ing for about 10 days now, after a hiatus. I'm pretty sure that my problem last time was that I wasn't strict enough with the rules at the outset, and I didn't give my body time to adapt to a new schedule. I'd find myself starving in the mid-afternoon, so added a "mini-meal" (which in my case was just a euphemism for "snack") and then gradually slipped off track.

I'm hoping that this time, I'll be able to form new habits so that I won't have to continue expending so much mental energy worrying about weight control. That habit thang is HUGE.
Mom of 4

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:25 am

NoelFigart wrote:
TexArk wrote:BUT isn't it interesting that the response to the research is to try develop a DRUG for dieters!
You'd think that some bright entrepreneur would figure out a way to market a product that would basically be a meal schedule combined with portion control.

Hmmm....
Yep, just what we need -- another drug for people who don't need it. That's pretty much what the pharmaceutical industry is based on.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:45 am

Woah, welcome back, Noel!.

As to the article, see?, we knew it all along and this makes me think that eating all the time and at any time messes up with your hunger.

wintry

Post by wintry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:16 am

Incredible research! Until I tried this diet, I would never have believed I could train myself to not be hungry between meals.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:36 am

When I first started No-S, I spent every night wondering if I would feel this hungry for the rest of my life. I toughed it out and stayed strict with myself. After 2 months, I can say that it is amazing how little real hunger I have - especially during my worst time before bed. (I'm still working on the emotional hunger.) From the third week on, the hunger got less and less and now I only feel a faint whisper of hunger at night.

In the beginning, I NEEDED my nightly glass of milk and now I haven't had one for at least a week and a half. I am a true believer that snacking hunger can be tamed (without a drug).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:00 pm

This is great, bookman -- I would have cited this in the book if I'd known about it (was going on mere common sense).

A particularly choice bit:
The new research suggests that the stomach tells the brain when to eat and that establishing a regular schedule of meals will regulate the stomach’s release of ghrelin. “If you eat all the time, ghrelin secretion will not be well controlled,†said Silver, the paper’s lead author and the principal investigator of the study. “It’s a good thing to eat meals at a regularly scheduled time of day.â€
TexArk wrote:
I find this intriguing. Our three regularly scheduled meals can set our hunger clock. BUT isn't it interesting that the response to the research is to try develop a DRUG for dieters!
Yeah, the most obvious solution isn't always the most marketable one :-)

Great to see you here again, Noel!

Sorry I've been keeping such a low profile here recently -- dayjob is nuts.

Reinhard

jbettin

Post by jbettin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:56 pm

reinhard wrote:This is great, bookman -- I would have cited this in the book if I'd known about it (was going on mere common sense).
*chortle* Reminds me of something that Dennis Prager is fond of saying: most studies either confirm common sense, or are wrong.
Mom of 4

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:02 pm

Wow! No wonder I had such a tough time adjusting to no snacking!
Kathleen

wintry

Post by wintry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Hm... I'm starting to think this research means I need to be VERY careful about snacking on S-Days or else I will untrain my stomach.

Anyone else snack like crazy on S days and then get more hunger pangs on Monday afternoon than on other days?

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Not anymore. I seem to adjust very easily from weekend eating to weekday eating. The ratio of 5 (N Days) to 2 (S Days) seems to make the routine be N Days.
Kathleen