What's the worst diet you ever tried?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

buttercreampillow

What's the worst diet you ever tried?

Post by buttercreampillow » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:59 am

About the worst I ever went on was the F-factor diet. It was all about fiber, and this was about 30 years ago. You had to make up this fiber mix and eat it twice a day, besides eating lots of high fiber foods in general. The fiber mix was made up of high fiber cereal, wheat bran, some dried fruit and maybe some nuts? (can't remember) Because of the wheat bran, it was dry as dust and when you ate it with milk, the wheat bran would just float on top and refuse to mix with the milk. It was very hard to choke down.

The book stressed all the benefits of a high fiber diet and carried on and on about how great your experience in the bathroom would be now that you were eating huge amounts of fiber. (I won't be more explicit than that, but the book sure was!)

I lost weight on the diet, but it was awful. As a 14 year old girl, I didn't have any problems with regularity which needed to be solved. I just needed to stop eating a can of Spaghettios every afternoon when I came home from school! :)

What was your worst diet?
Natural Eater

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 pm

I tried the Atkins Diet when I was about 16. At 5'5" and 125 lbs. I decided I was too fat ( :roll: ) and needed to lose.

I got down to 113 lbs, and felt terrible. I got angry at the least little thing and cried all the time. Common sense kicked in and I decided I'd rather go back to the *enormous* weight of 125 than be miserable all the time.

Kathy B.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:54 pm

I honestly can't say because most diets I've tried, I didn't last more than a week or even a couple days! Atkins was pretty bad. No carbs? That makes life impossible for me. Too difficult.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 pm

ksbrowne wrote:I tried the Atkins Diet when I was about 16. At 5'5" and 125 lbs. I decided I was too fat ( :roll: ) and needed to lose.

I got down to 113 lbs, and felt terrible. I got angry at the least little thing and cried all the time. Common sense kicked in and I decided I'd rather go back to the *enormous* weight of 125 than be miserable all the time.

Kathy B.
Gee, based on the formula I've read, you were at your ideal weight!

I don't think I've tried any weird diets. Weight Watchers was probably as weird as it got. I've certainly read about a number or weird diets, but never tried them!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:29 pm

The cabbage soup and brown rice diet for EVERY meal (with NO seasoning for either!)
Uggggh! Need I say more?
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

wintry

Post by wintry » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:28 am

There are some pretty gross weight loss tactics in this post,
http://jezebel.com/359360/whats-the-dum ... ose-weight
:D

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Slim-fast. Not that the skakes are bad, or anything, it's just I was ready to eat the paint off the walls at the end of the day.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

amelie

Post by amelie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Speaking of "shakes" (and I use the term loosely), anyone remember the Cambridge Diet? Not only was the stuff putrid, but it was sold through a pyramid-type scheme. I didn't make it through a single shake, it tasted so awful. Biggest waste of $20 in my life.

It was eventually taken off the market, not surprisingly. If you actually stuck to the diet, you'd be taking in no more than 900 calories a day.

UPDATE: Just googled it and found out it's still around! Unbelievable.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:25 pm

I was once on HMR protein shakes for 12 weeks (600 calories). A few years later I had to have my gall bladder removed. I was told that the diet and the fact that I eventually went back to eating normally were a direct cause.

Yesterday I heard of the strangest diet though: bananas, hot dogs, and hard boiled eggs, alternating one week each. Is that the craziest?

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Kimkins. It's a very lowfat, lowcarb diet and after a couple of days your appetite is so suppressed that you can barely force yourself to eat. The diet is basically skinless chicken breast, eggwhites and plain green vegetables. I was tracking on Fitday and was eating between 450 and 600 calories a day! You'd think that would have set off some alarm bells, but I was thrilled with the super-fast weightloss. I lost 15 lbs. in 14 days and then got sick. (Surprise!) I ended up in bed nauseous and shivering for two days. It may have been a coincidence but it scared me into eating normal food again as soon as I could stomach it.

I also did the Rice Diet a long time ago. IIRC, it was nothing but rice for a week, followed by rice and fruit the second week. I assumed it was safe because it was put out by Duke University. I never got past the second week, however, because I wanted to EAT something.

Wow, I've done some stupid things to lose weight. Thank God Reinhard came along with some common sense.
Last edited by TunaFishKid on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Laura ~

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:29 pm

Laura, that Kimkins thing is just scary!
Natural Eater

wintry

Post by wintry » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:09 am

Did you know Kimkins turned out to be a fraud? The inventor never even followed her own diet. Lots of people got health problems from following it and now I think there's some kind of lawsuit. I read the full story at
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... mkins.html

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:11 pm

wintry wrote:Did you know Kimkins turned out to be a fraud? The inventor never even followed her own diet. Lots of people got health problems from following it and now I think there's some kind of lawsuit. I read the full story at
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... mkins.html
Yep - all that came out about six months after I had tried it and quit. One of the things that originally interested me in the diet was all the great testimonials and before/after pics, including Kimmer herself. Then one day, months after I had already gone off the diet, I looked at the site and noticed she had a new picture up and looked completely different. I was curious but figured it was just a different angle or something. Not too long after that it came out that the whole thing was a fake.
~ Laura ~

wintry

Post by wintry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 am

OMG, not till months later?! Eek! How did you feel? Vindicated? Really smart or lucky that you stopped before it permanently damaged your body :( :( :(

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

wintry wrote:OMG, not till months later?! Eek! How did you feel? Vindicated? Really smart or lucky that you stopped before it permanently damaged your body :( :( :(
I guess I was more shocked than anything. I'm a very trusting person by nature (a severe handicap in life, let me tell you) and was simply dumbfounded that someone would go to so much trouble to scam people. If I felt anything else I guess it would be stupid to have done such a severely restricted diet in the first place. It sounded very healthy at the beginning - lean protein and lots of vegetables. The reality, though, was quite different. I got caught up in a dangerous mindset bordering on anorexia that was encouraged on the KK forum.

Luckily for me, I think my body was way smarter than me, and revolted at such poor treatment before it went too far. Quite a few others were no so fortunate.
~ Laura ~