A Weird Thought

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

A Weird Thought

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Okay you know how everyone's like, "I can't do No-S, I'd diiieeee if I couldn't have my snack at the least little sign of hunger"?

So, when your husband or SO starts lookin' really GOOD to you and he catches you with THAT look in your eyes, does that mean you don't wait till the kids are asleep?

*wrygrin* A lot more compelling than a snack... at least to me, and I can manage to wait a little while.

If it doesn't freak you out to wait for that, shouldn't it be embarrassing not to wait for mealtime?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Okaaaaay that definitely is a weird thought!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:13 am

Oh Noel, this is brilliant and so true.

We all show some kind of self restraint in every day life, so what is the difference with food. It all boils down to mind set.

I am going to chuckle all day over this post.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:33 am

Uhm... so what's the No S equivalent of a qui...

Nevermind. Some things just have no corollary. :wink:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 am

Apparently Mark Bittman's had a similar thought:
You can also embrace hunger, strange as that may sound, just as you might embrace the delicious anticipation of a nap, or sexual craving. Your hunger will, after all, be satisfied. Why not wait an hour? (You're not dying, after all!) You might also stop eating before you're full (three-quarters full is probably about right). And if you eat slowly, taking your time, you'll give the food time to reach your stomach and give you a sense of satisfaction before you have seconds or thirds.
Blithe Morning wrote:Uhm... so what's the No S equivalent of a qui...
Blithe...I think it would be what KCCC calls a "BLT" (bite, lick, taste). Instant gratification. :roll:
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Wosnes, some metaphors aren't meant to be stretched too far.... ;)

However, I do think it's interesting that we expect a certain amount of restraint for one type of appetite and not for another. If we treated sex the way our culture treats food, we'd be heading for the bedroom everytime we thought "hm, cute!" as we passed someone on the street... which, of course, we don't. So why do we feel the need to reach for food the instant we feel the tiniest little twinge of hunger?

Okay, I'm leaving this metaphor alone now.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:28 pm

I don't think it's weird at all...I love it. And it reminded me of the saying "Hunger is the best sauce."
~ Laura ~