Michael Pollan's Favorite Food Rules

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Michael Pollan's Favorite Food Rules

Post by wosnes » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:42 pm

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/0 ... ng-habits/

His next book will be about this. It will be released 12/29.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 am

That was some great reading! My favorite rule was the Chinese rule about eating until you're 7/10 full and save the remaining 3/10 for hunger. All of the food rules were very interesting.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:42 am

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:49 am

I think so. I read the general article and the 20 rules. Was there another part to it?

Too solid flesh

Re: Michael Pollan's Favorite Food Rules

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:08 am

wosnes wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/0 ... ng-habits/

His next book will be about this. It will be released 12/29.
Thank you for posting the link, Wosnes. I'm sure the book will be an entertaining and illuminating read. It is published in the US and UK on 29 December 2009, in time for the New Year health panic!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:06 am

I'm hoping that he expands on these or includes more. Something I've noticed over the last few years is that the best diet/nutrition advice is coming from lay people, not the diet/nutrition professionals.

While I've not tried a lot of diets, I've read about more than I care to count. One thing I've noticed about many is that they don't make sense when you compare them to what real people have done over the course of time.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:19 am

Wosnes, I hear you! I read several diet books this summer, and they talked about things like restricting your fat intake to 25 grams a day, balancing your proteins, carbs, fats to a precise ratio, etc... There's no way I'm going to restrict myself like that for the rest of my life.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:00 pm

I always enjoy the comments as much as the article. In the comments I found this, which looks interesting. Not a substitute for No-S, but interesting:

http://www.deardrabby.com/

Perusing the New York Times, I also found an article about Jamie Oliver and the American Diet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magaz ... nted=print