A wee little something for your consideration

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mounted Ranger!

A wee little something for your consideration

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Playing around with our ideas of what makes a satisfying meal, my daughter and I were discussing what makes a meal satisfying. We came up with some things that make it enjoyable for us but while we were at it and experimenting with different kinds of meals, we did notice one thing you may be interested in.

We seem to like a meal with variety. Often our meals in the past were a couple of different items. Believe it or not, one of my daughter's favorite meals is Nancy Drew's Favorite Chicken and Rice casserole (vegetarian style, of course!) with a veggie. That's pretty much just two items served. Or her favorite lunch was pasta and a veggie. again, just two items. Maybe breakfast would be a deviled egg and toast. Yes, you can count, two items. Somehow we always have two items. Soup and bread, casserole and a veggie, et c.

Playing around with things, though, we've discovered that we much prefer a meal built of several items that may be very different but still delicious. For example, for lunch, one of my daughter's favorites is canned ravioli. This is a treat she almost never gets so when she does get it, she's kind of excited. Previously she'd eat almost the whole can and a veggie (if I made her). Now, she would prefer to have a small serving of ravioli, an apple, a muffin cup with a dollop of yogurt and honey, and a handful of nuts. She finds this more enjoyable to eat and longer lasting in her tummy. So, I tried this out for myself and I do, too!

Lately now, we've been having our meals like this. Instead of every meal always being those two standard items, we've been building our meals with many more components. Even my husband noticed and seems to like it better.

It's still easy. Yesterday we had a deviled egg, a muffin cup with warm peanut butter and cold jelly (a strange favorite of my daughter), a handful of nuts and dried cherries, and a small apple. It was very satisfying and kept us full till lunch and was just somehow better than having more of one or two things. Less of several seems to satisfy us better.

So, just a little food for thought . . . you might like to try it out.
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:54 pm

You're probably on to something important.

When I make bento, I do have little bits and bites of several different kinds of foods. They're incredibly satisfying little meals.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 pm

That's why I don't like chopped mixed salads like Cobb. Every bite tastes the same and it gets boring after a while.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Funny you should mention that, MR. Yesterday I couldn't decide what I wanted for lunch, so I had a plate with a piece of sourdough bread, one small chunk each of two different kinds of cheese, a small bunch of concord grapes and a piece of a banana with peanut butter on top. It was probably one of the most satisfying meals I've had in a long time. How odd.

:)
~ Laura ~

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:30 pm

that's kind of how we stumbled on it . . . we had some *delicious* tomato soup left over. It wasn't really enough for two full (if you know what I mean :roll: )servings but just enough for each of us to have a bit. We rounded it out with some manchego ch, a couple of slices each of smoked tempeh, and an apple. It was so satisfying. Then when my daughter had her much coveted can of ravioli, she decided to do that, too. Mostly, I think, so her ravioli would last longer. From there we began to see a little pattern and . . . we like it!
Mounted Ranger!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:01 pm

guadopt1997 wrote:That's why I don't like chopped mixed salads like Cobb. Every bite tastes the same and it gets boring after a while.
I like Cobb salad, but you could do it more like a Nicoise with everything separate and enjoy the different tastes.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:08 pm

I totally agree. Three items seems to be the magic number for me - less than that and I'm just not satisfied. (I often have more variety.)

And I've noticed - particularly with pasta - that the portions of "the main thing" have shrunk considerably over time. I eat a LOT more salad than I used to, and am not happy if my veggie intake falls too low. (Something to remember on S-days, lol!)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:55 am

One of my favorite meals when I go to IHOP is to get One Cheese Blintz with apples; One Slice French Toast and Two eggs scrambled. (Definite S day meal) I get a small portion of two of my favorites, plus the eggs for good protein. A very satisfying and filling meal.
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:34 am

Yes, this is a great way to eat! I figured this out on my own when I was first starting No S a few months ago, because I was trying to fill my plate in such a way that would keep me satisfied for several hours. Now, I usually have 3-4 things with each meal. I find that if I have more than 4, the meal gets too overwhelming.
Just to give an example, my dinner tonight was a chicken patty with barbecue sauce, macaroni and cheese, and green beans with almonds. It was SO good!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:28 am

This is what my lunch is like most days:

Two or three of these - 1 tomato / chunk cucumber / carrot / peas in pods / beetroot / veggies in general

One or two of these - 1 apple / grapes / peach / pear / pawpaw / banana / mango

Protein of some kind - yoghurt / cheese / cold meat / tuna / nuts / eggs

I cut them all up at work and have them nicely placed on a plate and it fills me for the day.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:28 pm

KCCC wrote:I totally agree. Three items seems to be the magic number for me - less than that and I'm just not satisfied. (I often have more variety.)
That's me too - three items! I realized this a long time ago on my first round with NoS when someone (maybe it was you, KCCC!) posted about needing three items on their plate at lunch to feel satisfied...I started paying attention and noticed that I did too! On the days when my lunch had three items, I was less likely to be *searching* for something else in the afternoon...funny!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm

I wonder why, though. Why is less overall but more variety be more satisfying than more overall but less variety.

I can see that it's true, I just wonder why.
Mounted Ranger!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:27 pm

It's a mystery! Doesn't really make any sense...

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Actually, it probably is rooted in nutritional variety, Mimi. Wider range of foods certainly would mean more opportunities to get a wider range of vitamins.

When marketing very processed food, one important technique is to make sure there's several layers of tastes. Think of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Most flavors have many flavors IN them.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Mounted Ranger! wrote:I wonder why, though. Why is less overall but more variety be more satisfying than more overall but less variety.

I can see that it's true, I just wonder why.
Because it looks like you ate more? How full you feel doesn't necessarily have to do with the calories or the volume or the weight of the food you ate, I guess - when you have a bigger meal, you usually include more variety, so when you have a smaller meal but still have more variety, it looks like a bigger meal - same thing with smaller plates etc. It's a way to trick yourself.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:35 am

This reminds me a lot of simple lunches -- bread, cheese, fruit, and raw vegetables. Simple and simply satisfying.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."