External affirmation

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

guadopt1997

External affirmation

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:46 pm

With past diets, I'd often reach a point where people would start noticing that I've lost weight and commenting on my appearance. Sometimes, that would spell the end of the diet and the start of regain (complacency, fear, who knows why).

This time around, for whatever reason, I've had very few comments, even though I've lost 30-35 pounds. Of course I'm still at least 30 pounds heavier than I need to be (notice I didn't say "from my goal", since I don't have one other than staying on No-S) and have plateaud within a five-pound band since May.

The thing is it's nice to have our efforts acknowledged. And even though in the past such external affirmation seems to have had a self-defeating backlash, sometimes I do wish the loss was noticed...
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:48 pm

I think that just means you lost weight so slowly that no one noticed or perhaps you didn't have the bizarre eating behavior of many dieters, with Lean Cuisine for lunch and sipping diet pop all day.

Congratulations! Here's external affirmation from someone who knows how hard it is to change behavior that is sustainable for life!

Kathleen

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Congratulations! 30-35 pounds is a lot of weight, and I'm sure you look and feel better.

I think Kathleen is right - you've been losing weight so slowly it's not obvoius to people who see you regularly.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:06 pm

I definitely feel better. The front of my right thigh used to go numb if I stood still for a while or walked a lot. My doctor said I probably had a pinched nerve of some sort. Now that's gone away.

Thanks, Kathleen! :wink:
Liz

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Big congratulations to you! We can encourage each other to keep on keeping on. I am in the same place you are. I've lost approx. 35 pounds and the only ones to notice are people who haven't seen me for months....

I've also reached a plateau even though I honestly believe I can stand to lose 15-20 more pounds. I know the answer, though, is not to "up" the diet mentality but to increase the exercise. With the onset of autumn, I have not been out and about walking nearly as much as I do in the summer. Time to break out the exercise DVDs....

Enjoy your success!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:27 pm

vmsurbat wrote:I know the answer, though, is not to "up" the diet mentality but to increase the exercise.
Enjoy your success!
Liz

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:28 pm

vmsurbat wrote: I know the answer, though, is not to "up" the diet mentality but to increase the exercise. ....

Enjoy your success!
That is definitely the case with me as well. And it would not take much to increase the exercise in my case since I hardly ever do any!

And thanks!
Liz