Jamie Oliver

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Jamie Oliver

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Jamie Oliver has a new cookbook -- Jamie's Food Revolution. I've seen it, but haven't purchased it. Here's an idea of what he's teaching in Jamie's Food Revolution.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks for posting this! I love Jamie Oliver!!! Here's a relevant excert from the article:

Stop snacking.
Snacking, in my mind, is the big evil. No one is an angel 100% of the time, including me. I like chips and chocolate. But I've never, ever met an obese family that didn't treat snacking like meals. In many cases, people are eating close to seven "meals" a day. And many drink soda or sweetened drinks all the time instead of water. What ever happened to treating snack foods like they were only for special times? This boils down to taking control of your eating and learning moderation. If you can't stop snacking at home, then stop buying those foods, or have someone shop with you. Take active steps to curb your addiction to snack foods.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:34 pm

oliviamanda wrote:Thanks for posting this! I love Jamie Oliver!!! Here's a relevant excert from the article:

Stop snacking.
Snacking, in my mind, is the big evil. No one is an angel 100% of the time, including me. I like chips and chocolate. But I've never, ever met an obese family that didn't treat snacking like meals. In many cases, people are eating close to seven "meals" a day. And many drink soda or sweetened drinks all the time instead of water. What ever happened to treating snack foods like they were only for special times? This boils down to taking control of your eating and learning moderation. If you can't stop snacking at home, then stop buying those foods, or have someone shop with you. Take active steps to curb your addiction to snack foods.
I noticed that quote, too. Meant to post it but didn't.

You know, I think there's snacking and then there's snacking (like Jamie talks about).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 pm

I found this recently: http://www.slashfood.com/2010/01/19/ame ... chef-weep/

I guess it's an example of you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Supposedly his idea is to get people cooking at home -- not unlike both Michael Pollan and Mark Bittman. But I wonder what he tried to get them to cook. That is, I wonder if he looked at the things they like to eat and showed them how to cook those things or if he tried to get them to cook the recipes from his book.

One of the reasons I haven't bought the cookbook is that when I looked at -- briefly, I'll admit -- it seemed that a good many of the recipes were geared to the tastes of people in the U.K. Okay, I've not been to the U.K., but I know there's a sizable Indian population and Indian food is quite popular (the turkey curry buffet from Bridget Jones comes to mind), but maybe not so much in Huntington W.V.

Just a thought....

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:21 pm

First Michael Pollen, now Jamie Oliver, the word is spreading :-)

Now if only the No-s title would spread!

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Mmmm..Indian :)

We're a British/American family and we certainly like Indian and true British food ie, pasties, pork pies, roast beef and yorkshire pudding, cottage pie, etc, but I don't happen to like Jamie Oliver, so I won't be buying his book regardless :)

it's good to hear the word spreading through influential people. After all if *I* say it to someone it's just me talking .... and there is a lot of snack talk to overcome.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:37 pm

We're rooting for you, Reinhard, to get the recognition you deserve. All the diet advice given for years, it seems, has been to eat 5-6 times a day. You were the first I read of to recommend 3 meals. No S should rule!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)