Cocoa beach

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bluebunny27

Cocoa beach

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Cocoa beach !! ;-)

I just found out 2 days ago that natural unsweetened cocoa powder is very good for your health. 2 times more anti-oxidants (spelling ?) than red wine, all sorts of benefits, lowers the blood pressure, etc. You get the benefits without *having* to eat chocolate (no sugar & no fat when you only eat the cocoa powder, you leave the added sugar & the fat - - - from the cocoa butter.)

So I've been drinking cocoa powder mixed with hot water in a coffee mug in the late evenings since then.
Good to curb hunger, almost no calories too ... and I always like having a hot drink - - good way to add water too, since many people are not drinking enough daily.

1 tbsp. in a mug. Since it's unsweetened (tastes a lil' bitter unsweetened of course) I add a lil' bit of 'Sugar Twin', some milk and mix it all together.

Here's good information I just found on unsweetened cocoa powder.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 051159.htm

"Hot Cocoa Tops Red Wine And Tea In Antioxidants; May Be Healthier Choice

There's sweet news about hot cocoa: Researchers at Cornell University have shown that the popular winter beverage contains more antioxidants per cup than a similar serving of red wine or tea and may be a healthier choice.

The study adds to growing evidence of the health benefits of cocoa and points to a tasty alternative in the quest to maintain a diet rich in healthy antioxidants, chemicals that have been shown to fight cancer, heart disease and aging, the researchers say.

Their study, which they say is the most complete comparison to date of the total antioxidant content of these three popular beverages, will appear in the Dec. 3 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific society.

"Although we know that antioxidants are important for good health, nobody knows the exact daily amount required per person," says Chang Yong Lee, Ph.D., head of the study and a professor of food chemistry in Cornell's Department of Food Science and Technology, located in Geneva, N.Y. "Nevertheless, a cup or two of hot cocoa every once in a while can provide a delicious, warm and healthy way to obtain more antioxidants."

Many recent studies have touted the health benefits of red wine and tea, all of which are known to be high in antioxidants. Although researchers have been aware for some time that cocoa is also rich in these compounds, its relative contribution in comparison to other beverages has been unclear, says Lee.

To gain a better understanding of how these beverages compare in terms of antioxidants, the researchers tested them using similar serving sizes and conditions. The beverages tested included a cup of hot water containing two tablespoons of pure cocoa powder, roughly equivalent to the amount of cocoa in a normal-size packet of instant hot chocolate; a cup of water containing a standard size bag of green tea; a cup of black tea; and one glass of red wine (California Merlot).

Using special analytical techniques to evaluate the total antioxidant content in each beverage, the researchers showed that, on a per serving basis, the antioxidant concentration in cocoa was the highest: It was almost 2 times stronger than red wine, 2-3 times stronger than green tea, and 4-5 times stronger than that of black tea.

For those who want the tasty treat but also want to avoid extra sugar and dairy products that are common additives to cocoa, healthier alternatives are possible: Skim or soy milk can substitute for regular milk, while an artificial sweetener can replace the sugar.

Although you can enjoy cocoa either hot or cold, the hot version tends to trigger the release of more antioxidants than its cold counterpart, the researcher says.

Antioxidant-rich cocoa is also found in many different products including desserts, sauces, liqueurs and candy bars, which differ widely in their cocoa content. But when given a choice between getting your antioxidant fix from a cup of cocoa or a candy bar, it is better to go with the drinkable stuff, says Lee. A normal 40-gram bar of chocolate contains about 8 grams of saturated fat, compared to only 0.3 grams in an average cup of hot cocoa, he notes.

Although many other popular beverages, such as coffee and cranberry juice, also contain high levels of antioxidants, these were not evaluated in this particular study, Lee and his associates say."

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm so weary of the adjective "healthy".
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

noni

Post by noni » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Has anyone tried any of the new substitute sugars on the market. One is stevia and another is sugar mixed with Spenda. I find Stevia a bit weird tasting altho' it's a natural product. Hmm...I wonder how sugar and Stevia would taste together?

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:40 am

One of my favourite evening drinks is plain cocoa powder mixed with boiling water with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and a splash of milk. It tastes decadent enough to stop me looking for a sweet after dinner and is a good habit drink that has taught my body that after dinner and cocoa, meals are over for the day.

I had not even thought of any benefits beyond
I like the taste
It is not loaded with sugar
It is easy to make
It is chocolatey enough to stop the sweet cravings

Merrykat

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:58 am

Merrykat, have you tried a dash of cinnamon in your cocoa? Really brings out the chocolate taste!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:26 am

mrsj wrote:Merrykat, have you tried a dash of cinnamon in your cocoa? Really brings out the chocolate taste!
So does a little coffee.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:45 pm

wosnes wrote:I'm so weary of the adjective "healthy".
Seconded.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Reinhard mentions this in the No S book. Wish I could give you page numbers, but I'm using the Kindle version right now. All I can tell you is, it's a little less than halfway into the book.

(And another ditto from me on "healthy" foods.)
~ Laura ~

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:27 pm

I don't know how healthy it is, but lately I've taken to microwaving a cup or so of milk (about a mug's worth) for 1 minute, 30 seconds, then adding a teaspoon of real unsweetened cocoa and a packet of sweetener (sugar or Splenda). Then a dash of cinnamon. It is delicious! I'm never going back to those dreadful packets. Since it's a couple hundred calories, I only have it a couple times a week as a treat.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Nichole wrote:I don't know how healthy it is, but lately I've taken to microwaving a cup or so of milk (about a mug's worth) for 1 minute, 30 seconds, then adding a teaspoon of real unsweetened cocoa and a packet of sweetener (sugar or Splenda). Then a dash of cinnamon. It is delicious! I'm never going back to those dreadful packets. Since it's a couple hundred calories, I only have it a couple times a week as a treat.
It shouldn't be much higher in calories than a glass of milk. I've been making hot chocolate recently -- it's so good and comforting on a cold evening.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Yeah, that's true :) It's so good... I like to drink it prepared in a travel mug on the way to work, too.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Tricia

Post by Tricia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm

I've been drinking hot cocoa as of late using cocoa powder, a little sugar, a little creamer, lots of water and some milk.

oh, my gosh! It takes the edge off.

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

wosnes wrote:I'm so weary of the adjective "healthy".
Yeah, "healthy" is annoying ... but the phrase that makes me completely crazy is "all natural". The implication is that things that are "all natural" are automatically good for you. This diet pill or that supplement are "all natural" ... well so is arsenic. It doesn't mean I want to injest it.

Laura

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Cocoa sounds really good right now...winter in Minnesota...but if I started doing this on N days, I think I'd be on the path to the Dark Side. :twisted:
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:21 pm

For many, many years I had cocoa every evening at bedtime. Sometimes I put some Kahlua or Amaretto in it. YUM! I don't recall why I stopped drinking it, but I certainly don't consider it an S day food.

The other day one of the food bloggers posted a recipe for cinnamon toast. The rationale for posting such a simple recipe is given in the post. In the comments several people mentioned adding cocoa powder to their cinnamon/sugar mix. I tried it and it's quite good.

Today I was perusing some Italian cookbooks at Amazon. One of them was for Italian desserts/treats. One of the recipes mentioned was for ricotta cheese sprinkled with a mixture of cocoa powder and sugar. I remember having seen Giada De Laurentiis do this on Everyday Italian and trying it because I had some ricotta I wanted to use before it spoiled. It was delicious.

I was in the mood for something sweet with my lunch. I didn't have any ricotta, but I did have some Greek yogurt. So I had a big spoonful (just less than 1/4 cup, I'd guess) and sprinkled a little of the cinnamon/cocoa/sugar mix on it. It took less than a teaspoon to cover the yogurt.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:00 am

I have hot chocolate frequently - not just on S days, either. I don't use packets or a microwave and make it with whole milk, un-homogonized milk, a teaspoon cocoa and a bit less than a teaspoon of sugar.

Most days I add a blob of virgin coconut oil. Other days I might add extra cream, cinnamon or a bit of cayenne pepper for a bit more spice :)

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:02 pm

God, that sounds heavenly. Adding cocoa powder to my shopping list ... that might give me the edge I've been needing. I had a couple days where I was just craving something sweet, and fruit just didn't cut it.

That ricotta one especially sounds heavenly ... do you think this is something you could mix up ahead of time, or should it be mixed fresh each serving?

Laura L

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 pm

lelovelady wrote:
That ricotta one especially sounds heavenly ... do you think this is something you could mix up ahead of time, or should it be mixed fresh each serving?

Laura L
I mix the cocoa and sugar ahead of time and sprinkle it on the ricotta (or yogurt) when I'm ready to eat -- takes all of a second. Maybe.

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:05 am

Thank you for this idea! I was having major chocolate cravings when I got home from university today, and this helped so much.